• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 34 10.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 288 86.2%

• Total voters

DSJR

Major Contributor
I can't obviously speak for the hf response, my lugs being what they are (they do seem sensitive to the 7Hz Zero highs though), but the extra power low down in the Zero 2 really does make music sound more 'real' to me and although this bass isn't felt in the chest of course, it seems to 'underpin' the timbres of instruments higher up and makes the tones less 'Hifi' if that makes any sense. I am aware however, that many lovers of smaller passive speakers with a response death-dive below 80 - 100Hz may find it disconcerting.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Looks like you're measuring your coupler's THD instead of the earphone's then.

At 80dB SPL, the Zero 2's THD shouldn't exceed ~0.02%
yes i don't even have a problem with my result though lol. It could be the really cheap ADC that the coupler came with on Ali

To get that performance from speakers in a room, full range, is expensive

Whatever18

I'm still wondering if there is something around the 3kHz region that is just a little too shouty for me. But either way these things have a lot of tight bottom end whilst also resolving a lot of audio information from recordings that I just haven't noticed before, warts and all. Well worth the price of entry.

There was something unpleasant in the highs for me too. I brought down 3k hz by 2.3 db, raised 6k hz by 1db and lowered 12k hz by a few dbs too (not sure but there seems to be a weird peak there looking at the graph), that got rid of the metallic unpleasantness I found in the highs.

InfiniteJester

There is something going on with these, for sure.

My experience is so different from others I have read.

Maybe it is unit variation, or a bad fit for some anatomies due to the short nozzles, but they just don't sound right to me.

Maybe is it just this:

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Maybe it is unit variation, or a bad fit for some anatomies due to the short nozzles, but they just don't sound right to me.

Maybe is it just this:
Maybe it's something going on with you, as you seem to be in a small minority. Everyone's ears are different, after all.

InfiniteJester

Maybe it's something going on with you, as you seem to be in a small minority. Everyone's ears are different, after all.

Yes, that is why I mentioned anatomy explicitly and linked to a video in which it is explained that some anatomies may be the cause of weird peaks and how to EQ them.

I thought that the previous users may appreciate that EQ profile in case that they are experiencing what it is explained in the video.

Emlin

Yes, that is why I mentioned anatomy explicitly and linked to a video in which it is explained that some anatomies may be the cause of weird peaks and how to EQ them.

I thought that the previous users may appreciate that EQ profile in case that they are experiencing what it is explained in the video.
Fair enough, I seem to have misread you. But you said that there was something going on with these in particular, so...

mc.god

Batenxx

Maybe is it just this:
Just made an account to comment on this as well. I received mine yesterday and I have the same issue. The bass is really weak while the higher frequencies sound to prominent. I've tried with all of the included tips as well as some much broader ones I had at home that definitely do close the ear channel properly. I think the best experience so far is with the blue tips included here, however it still sounds "flat" compared to my prior in-ear headphones I've used for 13+ years now (Philips SHE8500), which were ironically even more budget and yet had a far superior sound.

There is one thing I've noticed: when I put both of my hands over the ears, the bass increases quite noticeably. So is it a sound isolation issue? But it cannot be the tips. I've tried quite a few other, larger ones I've had at home. So is it the low insertion depth as some pointed out which makes these ones so dependent on anatomy?

Well, anyway, I've ordered the Zero Red and see if those do a better job for me. But yeah, the Zero:2s turned out worthless for my ears it seems. Really don't enjoy the thin sound. Probably I'll send them back to Amazon or something.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Just made an account to comment on this as well. I received mine yesterday and I have the same issue. The bass is really weak while the higher frequencies sound to prominent. I've tried with all of the included tips as well as some much broader ones I had at home that definitely do close the ear channel properly. I think the best experience so far is with the blue tips included here, however it still sounds "flat" compared to my prior in-ear headphones I've used for 13+ years now (Philips SHE8500), which were ironically even more budget and yet had a far superior sound.

There is one thing I've noticed: when I put both of my hands over the ears, the bass increases quite noticeably. So is it a sound isolation issue? But it cannot be the tips. I've tried quite a few other, larger ones I've had at home. So is it the low insertion depth as some pointed out which makes these ones so dependent on anatomy?

Well, anyway, I've ordered the Zero Red and see if those do a better job for me. But yeah, the Zero:2s turned out worthless for my ears it seems. Really don't enjoy the thin sound. Probably I'll send them back to Amazon or something.

My Truthear Nova seems to have low bass too.

You need to insert them correct into the ear canal, the way you insert foam earplugs - lift ear up and back, then insert IEM.

This made a big difference to bass for me

hp68kouh6sh51.jpg

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The sound is not thin at all. It is definitely bad sealing. It happens. Either try 3rd party tips or give them away as gifts to someone who fits, and get a Zero: Red instead.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Broken or not getting a proper seal. Sounds like a seal issue, appreciating what you say about trying all the tips. That said, even if it is just a seal issue, if the supplied tips arent working, its hardly worth the cost of buying different tips if you dont have a known favourite style and size. Send them back

InfiniteJester

It may be the insertion depth. I'm not an expert at all, quite the opposite, in fact, but they do have the shortest nozzles out of my whole collection and they present issues I haven't had with any other set.

I cannot endure them when listening to metal, for example, they sound so harsh and, simultaneously, bloated and distant, that I cannot stand a single song. And that is something that you wouldn't expect at all after watching the frequency response. I tuned my other IEMs to the same target as the Zero:2, and I don't find them harsh at all. So it must be some kind of resonance in my ear canal due to the short nozzle and not a product of the FR on itself. Either that or there is a lot of unit variation, and my set has a different response, which I doubt.

I have read about several people having the same issue, so I think that it is not as incredibly uncommon as some would say.

Hard to think that a 19,66€ IEM could be so useless. I wanted to use them while traveling, because I'm not comfortable doing so with my more expensive IEMs, but they are not even worth it for that.

I'm contemplating buying either the EW200s or the Ziigaat NUOs for traveling. I won't buy another 7Hz after this experience. Apparently, the NUOs have a deeper fit and much better soundstage at roughly the same price.

Batenxx

Broken or not getting a proper seal. Sounds like a seal issue, appreciating what you say about trying all the tips. That said, even if it is just a seal issue, if the supplied tips arent working, its hardly worth the cost of buying different tips if you dont have a known favourite style and size. Send them back
I've even bought 2 because they were at a discount and I've seen the positive reviews and people on social media and forums praising them. So unlucky that they don't work for me. I'm a bit jealous of you all who get the perfect sound out of it. I hope the Zero Red's are better for my ear anatomy (considering if this is really the issue).

markanini

Major Contributor
I've even bought 2 because they were at a discount and I've seen the positive reviews and people on social media and forums praising them. So unlucky that they don't work for me. I'm a bit jealous of you all who get the perfect sound out of it. I hope the Zero Red's are better for my ear anatomy (considering if this is really the issue).
I learned some time back to be wary of hyped up products, no matter who is hyping it.

It may be the insertion depth. I'm not an expert at all, quite the opposite, in fact, but they do have the shortest nozzles out of my whole collection and they present issues I haven't had with any other set.

I cannot endure them when listening to metal, for example, they sound so harsh and, simultaneously, bloated and distant, that I cannot stand a single song. And that is something that you wouldn't expect at all after watching the frequency response. I tuned my other IEMs to the same target as the Zero:2, and I don't find them harsh at all. So it must be some kind of resonance in my ear canal due to the short nozzle and not a product of the FR on itself. Either that or there is a lot of unit variation, and my set has a different response, which I doubt.

I have read about several people having the same issue, so I think that it is not as incredibly uncommon as some would say.

Hard to think that a 19,66€ IEM could be so useless. I wanted to use them while traveling, because I'm not comfortable doing so with my more expensive IEMs, but they are not even worth it for that.

I'm contemplating buying either the EW200s or the Ziigaat NUOs for traveling. I won't buy another 7Hz after this experience. Apparently, the NUOs have a deeper fit and much better soundstage at roughly the same price.
It's probably not fair to judge a brand based on one budget set, corners have to be cut. Assuming manufacturers like to increase profits, it's a stretch, I know...

My best travel IEM is Truthear Red, nozzles extend properly and fit is very secure. I was considering EW200 at some point but reports say that they are not suited for someone treble sensitive.

phoenixsong

I learned some time back to be wary of hyped up products, no matter who is hyping it.

It's probably not fair to judge a brand based on one budget set, corners have to be cut. Assuming manufacturers like to increase profits, it's a stretch, I know...

My best travel IEM is Truthear Red, nozzles extend properly and fit is very secure. I was considering EW200 at some point but reports say that they are not suited for someone treble sensitive.
Ye I have bought hyped stuff costing much more that don't suit me- we learn from the pain :')

Although the Zero 2 still seals well for me, I totally agree that its fit and nozzle length is noticeably more problematic than the average IEM. Also, it's true that Simgot IEMs are known for being bright

Batenxx

So I ended up somehow breaking my Zero:2s, I sh*t you not. I tried pressing them deeper into my ear than before and suddenly it felt like I caused a vacuum in the right ear. Result: suddenly the right one doesn't produce any sound anymore. Not a big deal since I intended to send them back anyway, but what the hell happened?

InfiniteJester

So I ended up somehow breaking my Zero:2s, I sh*t you not. I tried pressing them deeper into my ear than before and suddenly it felt like I caused a vacuum in the right ear. Result: suddenly the right one doesn't produce any sound anymore. Not a big deal since I intended to send them back anyway, but what the hell happened?

Are you sure the cable didn't disconnect from the right monitor? It happened to me a couple of times. It is also the first IEM that has this issue for me.

Top Bottom