• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha R-S202 Receiver Review

Rate this stereo receiver:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 124 38.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 143 44.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 39 12.2%

• Total voters

Haskil

Forum Donor
For $200, it does an entry-level job. The R&D in this product was likely amortized decades ago, so production costs can be low.

I voted “not terrible”. A reasonable product for a tight budget, but I personally outgrew this level of performance many years ago.
If, to repeat your statement, you have "exceeded this level of performance for a long time", you therefore do not own a Rega, nor a Cyrrus, nor a Roksan, nor a small Linn, nor a small Naim, nor a small NAD, nor a small Atoll yet sold much more expensive although they do not offer an integrated tuner and are not more efficient... even if they benefit from an enviable audiophile aura.

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Refurb for $129, shipped:

I have no affiliation with A4Less, but I bought a factory refurbished receiver from them in 2018 and it was pristine. Working flawlessly since 2018. Anecdotally, we've been recommending them for years at r/BudgetAudiophile. Experiences have been very positive overall. A few people have had to return things but their return policy seems painless enough, and there is a 1 year mfr warranty on Yamaha receivers. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

Last edited:

ocinn

Needs a Sub out and base management.
Agree, but at that price point?
Might feel clunky to a general consumer, but it’s 100% possible to get 4ch of DSP, and 2ch of competent amplification for $200.

Thomman T.racks 4x4 Mini - $100
Fosi V3 48v - $100

Ajax

Forum Donor
This unit reminds me of the expression "Horses for Courses".

I no longer listen to free to air Radio (or TV) so the tuner section is not of interest.

The front end of my ideal "budget" system would be the recently reviewed WiiM AMP, a $100 more gets you a streamer (wifi & ethernet), optical & analogue in, HDMI ARC & sub out plus 10db better SINAD performance. The streamer allows you DAB in lieu of FM & AM, although you could buy a cheap second hand tuner and connect it via the analogue in (or a turntable).

I get the nostalgia but it doesn't make sense to me to buy a unit that doesn't take advantage of technology and all that the internet offers.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If, to repeat your statement, you have "exceeded this level of performance for a long time", you therefore do not own a Rega, nor a Cyrrus, nor a Roksan, nor a small Linn, nor a small Naim, nor a small NAD, nor a small Atoll yet sold much more expensive although they do not offer an integrated tuner and are not more efficient... even if they benefit from an enviable audiophile aura.
True.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I get this is mostly a low priced alternative to older vintage run of the mill receivers, that older guys might tend to want, but its missing one huge feature,
That most of my friends that fit this category tend to use/like

No "loudness" compensation button can be seen??

Although I tend to not use this feature, as I am sure most of us would not, I find that the typical buyer that just want to rock out to classic rock, almost always uses this. In fact its almost necessary with a lot of older rock, to give it some deep bass body to the sound.
You do know what the "loudness" function was supposed to do?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Equal-Loudness-Contours-ISO-226.png

This is to ISO 226 2003.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kinda makes you feel sorry for Topping. They sell their RA3 amplifier direct on Aliexpress and have sold all of 14 in the 8 months since you reviewed it...

View attachment 352822

Your review sample will be a collectors item at this rate.
But I'm sure they have different sales channel in their domestic markets though.

beagleman

Major Contributor
Of course I do......The reality of it and the actual reason most used it though were not one and the same was all I meant.

Most loudness compensation circuits were less than optimal was my point. I know how Yamahas worked as I have owned a few of those also.

My point, was that most typical "Joe six pack" type of guys, used it to simply get more bass, along with the bass and treble being maxed out and playing loud classical rock music in their garage or basement room. It was meant to be a bit of a silly comment I guess.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Of course I do......The reality of it and the actual reason most used it though were not one and the same was all I meant.

Most loudness compensation circuits were less than optimal was my point. I know how Yamahas worked as I have owned a few of those also.

My point, was that most typical "Joe six pack" type of guys, used it to simply get more bass, along with the bass and treble being maxed out and playing loud classical rock music in their garage or basement room. It was meant to be a bit of a silly comment I guess.
Sorry, I should have said something like "Did *they* know what the loudness function was supposed to do".

beagleman

Major Contributor
Sorry, I should have said something like "Did *they* know what the loudness function was supposed to do".
Having recently listened to a friends "Stereo" set up, which was vintage big speakers and an old receiver with a loudness button, I was shocked at the huge amount of bass boost it provided.
Turning it on and off at even at a mildly loud volume, seemed equal to the mid and deep bass being boosted around 10-12 db about.

In the off position, the bass seemed a bit weak and just boomy, but with it on, if provided (even if exaggerated) far more deep bass and also far too much mid bass....

We were listening to "Fly like an eagle", and it really gave it some bass impact, that even my system WITH sub does not have.

jbattman1016

Lack of Hdmi-arc or any digital input is a miss for me. The WiiM for only $99 usd more is more attractive to me.

billou5767

In France, the price of the Yamaha R-S202D is 349 euros. Which is still much more than 200 euros on Amazon United States.
However, for this price it's still okay. We must say that we have an amplifier and a tuner that are better than what other brands offer for much more money...
I think that in my young age, around the beginning of the 1970s, such a receiver would have been considered a marvel... and it would have been sold for the equivalent of 2000 euros today...
d = dab dab radio 100 buck

billou5767

Yes. I was looking to France prices, but they seem higher than in other European countries, for some reason.
I see it at 234€ shipped to Belgium from a reputable shop.
france like to fuck customer :p , i make 50 km to buy my sony tv year ago : french price 2000 luxembourg sony official 1500 e , warranty 5 year 300 e france by shop , 100 e lux by sony europe .,

Javan

I bought my RS 202 back in 2018 for a measly $100, and it was probably the best spent $100 I can remember. I have owned numerous integrated, stereo, and AVR’s through the years, and this little Yamaha was more of a whim- very inexpensive and somewhat attractive looking. I have played it with full range towers and multiple bookshelf speakers; some rated at 4 ohms and 85 dB efficiency, some fairly challenging speakers, and it not only played music quite well, in my opinion, it barely worked up a sweat doing so. It was not designed to run low impedance speakers, but I did not care because of the low cost etc. Mind you, these performances were for hours, weeks, months, and now years. I never drove it to max volume, or run two pairs of speakers at the same time, and I keep the RS 202 on an open table. These things will shorten the life of the amplifier. Is it the best amplifier I have owned, maybe not, but for the money nothing comes close.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
france like to fuck customer :p , i make 50 km to buy my sony tv year ago : french price 2000 luxembourg sony official 1500 e , warranty 5 year 300 e france by shop , 100 e lux by sony europe .,
Exact opposite happened to me recently:
My last Samsung smartphone was 27% cheaper in France vs Belgium or other border countries.

Bob101

Exact opposite happened to me recently:
My last Samsung smartphone was 27% cheaper in France vs Belgium or other border countries.
Everywhere is cheaper than Belgium. Trust me, I live there:) The situation has improved vastly in recent years, but if you're somehow desperate to pay a premium for hifi or electronics, buying it in Belgium is still your best bet in the whole wide region.
We somehow, completely unexpectedly, have gotten cheaper than Britain, though...

Last edited:

laudio

For the money ($129 at some sites) it's a great deal compared to other alternatives at similar cost where you get nothing but a mini power amp and no switching, and no tuner. Who doesn't like an FM tuner :)

I voted fine. Would go higher but a proper stereo receiver should include a phono input, the extra cost of including that is pretty small, e.g. NE5532 works good enough with a few components. Yes - new turntables have that built in for the most part anyway - but this product could be even better for the kids who want to hook grandads old table up too without a preamp.

The topology looks similar to Yamaha lower end integrated amps (e.g AS-500). I used to own one of those and thought it quite decent at the time. Yamaha has been consistent in revising the same works well product for years, and lowering the cost.

Last edited:

Dinesh Menon

Excited to see an affordable
Yamaha class AB stereo amp in Amir Sir's recommended list :
•Extended frequency response
•No load dependency
•Solid build
•Treble response is not symmetrical
•Audible noise and distortion
In the graph showing power supply noise,
SMSL A300 & Fosi Audio ZA3 are rated much higher in the 'green zone', while Yamaha is on the borderline.

Is Yamaha RS-202 an overall better option than a SMSL A300 or Fosi Audio ZA3 ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom