• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 24 4.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 145 28.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 342 66.0%

• Total voters

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
J, I would start by halving REWs suggested -gain so at you 47Hz start off with say -6, then listen to lots of music that has that low bass, you can always re -adjust if there is still overhang/boom. Sometimes REWs targets are just too flat and can sound a little thin.
Keith

Reactions: CMB

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
J, I would start by halving REWs suggested -gain so at you 47Hz start off with say -6, then listen to lots of music that has that low bass, you can always re -adjust if there is still overhang/boom. Sometimes REWs targets are just too flat and can sound a little thin.
Keith
I find the same, somewhere between half and 2/3 of the suggested correction sounds better to me.

Reactions: CMB

jiji

I implemented the PEQ yesterday night and it already sounding flat as you mentioned. I mean it in a good manner.
I will do some trial & error to have some more bass , as you suggested.
It would be great if we have PEQ activated in USB input , so that we can verify the PEQ 1-1. I requested this to mirror, but don't know if this is possible.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
J were you actually hearing overhang/boom/one note bass ( whatever you prefer to call it ) before you started to EQ?
Personally I prefer now to use the bare minimum of EQ, just enough to ameliorate any room mode gain, but that is with speakers that have good and even on and off axis response,
Keith

jiji

J were you actually hearing overhang/boom/one note bass ( whatever you prefer to call it ) before you started to EQ?
Personally I prefer now to use the bare minimum of EQ, just enough to ameliorate any room mode gain, but that is with speakers that have good and even on and off axis response,
Keith
Yes the 47 HZ peak is dominant and can hear boomy bass. So this has to be equed otherwise this will suppress other frequencies which is non-dominant.
Other freq may be i will play around and try to keep the gain variation less(even though it is negative).
I also think the correction now in 47 Hz is too flat , so will probably try with -7 gain instead of -13 as you suggested, but the PEQ width also i need to adjust accordingly.. Will work on rew filters a bit to see if i can optimize that further.
My speakers are ok, its R3 meta so kind of neutral , but still my room influence especially below 100 Hz needs some correction, at least bare min the 47 Hz dominant peak.
Without PEQ it is bit too much bass, and kind of suppress in general more the High freq's which results in missing some details we hear.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Keep the ‘Q’ the same just adjust the amount of negative gain, adjust just until you can’t hear any distortion.
Keith

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I implemented the PEQ yesterday night and it already sounding flat as you mentioned. I mean it in a good manner.
I will do some trial & error to have some more bass , as you suggested.
It would be great if we have PEQ activated in USB input , so that we can verify the PEQ 1-1. I requested this to mirror, but don't know if this is possible.
You can export test signals from rew and play them as normal audio files to verify, delete them after so you don't accidently play them when you are least expecting it.

jiji

You can export test signals from rew and play them as normal audio files to verify, delete them after so you don't accidently play them when you are least expecting it.
yes i tried test signals downloaded to A6 last time and it works. I'm not sure if the rew input sensitivity and test signals sensitivity are same(but it doesn't matters, as we are only interested in the behavior/freq response here not the gain). Thanks for reminding me. will try this for verification and update whenever I got some time.

Doc_Octopus

I'm curious to know why there are so many people who combine an external DAC with the DMP-A6, when the A6 features an excellent DAC implemented in a fairly accurate and transparent manner according to the checks carried out by Amir.
Too much money to spend? :D

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Because for the most part they simply don’t have the technical knowledge and therefore tend to believe puerile magazine and online reviews.
Keith

CMB

Because for the most part they simply don’t have the technical knowledge and therefore tend to believe puerile magazine and online reviews.
Keith
I am glad you mentioned « for the most part ».
Indeed, for some others there still might features related issues. EQ was one for me, still this is now available on the Eversolo also, I would regret quick trebble/bass access and dynamic loundness I got use to now.

yllanos

I'm curious to know why there are so many people who combine an external DAC with the DMP-A6, when the A6 features an excellent DAC implemented in a fairly accurate and transparent manner according to the checks carried out by Amir.
Too much money to spend? :D

Good question. I guess there is a lot of people who doesn't care about measurements and they just get separate devices looking to align sound to their expectations.

Other than that, I am not sure. In the end it is their money, they have the right to do what they want with it.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Good question. I guess there is a lot of people who doesn't care about measurements and they just get separate devices looking to align sound to their expectations.

Other than that, I am not sure. In the end it is their money, they have the right to do what they want with it.
That’s really the issue because they don’t know and can’t be bothered to learn they believe the most incredible nonsense and then repeat as their ‘experience’.
Though Its not all bad news it is good for charlatans.
Keith

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If it's only about streaming, that's ok.
But there maybe a need for preamp as there are more than one inputs.
For me the TT via XLR to RME.

Strumbringer

Quick question, as I could not find an answer on-line:

Can I connect my blu-ray player (for blu-ray audio, not movies) and see menu choices for songs/tracks on the A6 screen?

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hmm, good question, CD-player should do, but anybody tested blue-ray?

Strumbringer

What do you mean by menu choices?
If you were to have an external CD drive connected, you would see the names of the tracks on the A6 screen. Curious if you would see the names of the tracks if a Blu-ray player was connected.

If so, I would not have the need to have the Blu-ray player connected to a monitor or television. This would be great if possible.

yllanos

If you were to have an external CD drive connected, you would see the names of the tracks on the A6 screen. Curious if you would see the names of the tracks if a Blu-ray player was connected.

If so, I would not have the need to have the Blu-ray player connected to a monitor or television. This would be great if possible.
There's a big difference. There are only a few CD drives compatible. And they are all the ones using an USB interface. Blu-Ray players use HDMI interface and A6 has no HDMI input, so no, it will NOT work.

Top Bottom