• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge II Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 341 86.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 38 9.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 2.5%

• Total voters

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Haha, price-performance ratio received the maxiumum of 5 stars. For a 5k device, how bad has it to measure to receice 4 star (or even less) ?
I think it goes to show how relatively insensitive people are to SINAD, DR, and linearity figures beyond a certain threshold. Measurable difference is not always the same as audible difference.

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think it goes to show how relatively insensitive people are to SINAD, DR, and linearity figures beyond a certain threshold. Measurable difference is not always the same as audible difference.
This unit has audible hum when you use it with bigger speakers. It shows more about how these HiFi magazines are working ... pay for review.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It almost never is with DACs. A DAC would have to be doing something very wrong in order for it to be audible.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Only Dave (the oldest product currently sold) is bad...
And even the Dave exceeds the performance of CD - and hence is transparent to pretty much everyone pretty much all the time. So, not actually bad, but...

It's just the performance comes no-where near matching the price, or the marketing story.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And even the Dave exceeds the performance of CD - and hence is transparent to pretty much everyone pretty much all the time. So, not actually bad, but...

It's just the performance comes no-where near matching the price, or the marketing story.
And also the wacky theories of the principal engineer Rob Watts regarding digital filters.

Music1969

Major Contributor
And also the wacky theories of the principal engineer Rob Watts regarding digital filters.
yes he is whacky but the measurements of those other DACs are excellent , cannot be argued

And it is discrete D to A design - not using an off the shelf chip

Not something anything can just whip up and still get excellent technical performance

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
yes he is whacky but the measurements of those other DACs are excellent , cannot be argued

And it is discrete D to A design - not using an off the shelf chip

Not something anything can just whip up and still get excellent technical performance
All of that is true. And while - as you state - not an easy technical achievement, the use of a discrete** design offers no benefit for the customer.

(**discrete is the wrong word - Chord dacs are based on very complex highly integrated programmable ASIC, where discrete in electronic terms generally means made of individual components, not integrated into a package. An R2R dac - if using individual resistors - could be considered discrete.)

Music1969

Major Contributor
the use of a discrete** design offers no benefit for the customer.
of course, nobody said discrete design benefits the customer anyway

the point is despite some whacky marketing (which he might not even believe himself), it is clear the dude is actually smart... and capable of top tier execution.

without needing to buy an AKM or ESS chip.

Docmoggy

Forum Donor
I bought Mytek's Brooklyn Bridge a few years ago. It was one of the first "all in one" DACS to also offer networked compatibility with Tidal's higher sampling rates and MQA for around $3000. It was a game changer, with a unique integrated bundle with good headphone amplification, capable preamp, comprehensive connectivity options, all neatly packaged inside a small uniquely upmarket styled unit and complimented with a showy colour display. Reviews, from publications such as Stereophile, gave it the thumbs up and the brand soared in to great heights in the market.

Unfortunately, things went pear shaped I think, when a big dispute inside the company blew up and all of a sudden there was a Mytek Poland and HEM ( ex Mytek ). It all got very messy as I got confused about where to go for firmware updates and who was what.

I remember being pretty impressed by the BB because I knew the unit was unpacking much higher resolution than I'd ever had at 24 bit 192 Khz. With MQA downloads, the sound resolution was different. I believed the hype that playing at higher sampling resolutions must obviously be better!

However, these measurements of their latest iteration, are somewhat disappointing because, in a way, I think Mytek kick started Chifi, or at least Chifi seem to have adopted a lot of Mytek's original design philosophy and have now established a commercial model based on a race to perfection or is it just a case of "one upmanship"? The result is, of course, a massive range of DACS that max out at about $4000.

There seems to be a cost increase of $1000 from the BB which I cannot account for or attribute to price inflation (Chifi stable pricing) alone or innovation ( Chifi TOTL) or added features - that appear to have moved little from the BB.

Sadly, my S.M.S.L SU10 blows the Mytek out of the water for reproduction excellence for approx 22% of the cost of this device. The new breed of dual ES9039 chipped units at 25% of the price, leave Mytek's latest offering well behind the Chifi pack. It would be easy configure a system with the latest dual chipped DAC, TOTL preamp and TOTL headphone amp and, theoretically still pay 50% less than this unit! (or less even).

For those that need streaming, then do you really need an Intel I5 chip (quite old architecture) to power Roon when there are excellent streamer units offering staggering levels of reproduction quality at lower cost? for example the Mytek spec is a near spec. match of the Matrix Element 2 ( that's been out in the field for at least a year) and the Matrix Element X has the superior ES9038 chip with bells and whistles. We know the Matrix units are high quality with excellent performance criteria. Something Mytek cannot match from these measurements.

I really don't know why Mytek thought this product would be competitive and the measurements just seem to confirm that perhaps the company were relying on brand image and their value incentive with the I5 chip for Roon. Then again, perhaps Mytek don't believe in the power of measurements!

I think they might need to rethink. Consumers are aware of sites like ASR that provide independent measurements that they can use to benchmark products. Hopefully a lesson learnt for their product development team, then again maybe not because I'm pretty sure they must have heard about ASR and others who test products.

Hifihedgehog

Forum Donor
Five. Thousand. Dollars. Maybe you need to buy their Empire streamer at $12.5k to get above the ‘fair’ performance zone.
Considering how these boutique audiophool companies operate, their $12.5K streamer probably measures worse while having gold plated bling on front that somehow magically absorbs all the bad waves and stuff.

AdrianusG

I bought Mytek's Brooklyn Bridge a few years ago. It was one of the first "all in one" DACS to also offer networked compatibility with Tidal's higher sampling rates and MQA for around $3000. It was a game changer, with a unique integrated bundle with good headphone amplification, capable preamp, comprehensive connectivity options, all neatly packaged inside a small uniquely upmarket styled unit and complimented with a showy colour display. Reviews, from publications such as Stereophile, gave it the thumbs up and the brand soared in to great heights in the market.

Unfortunately, things went pear shaped I think, when a big dispute inside the company blew up and all of a sudden there was a Mytek Poland and HEM ( ex Mytek ). It all got very messy as I got confused about where to go for firmware updates and who was what.

I remember being pretty impressed by the BB because I knew the unit was unpacking much higher resolution than I'd ever had at 24 bit 192 Khz. With MQA downloads, the sound resolution was different. I believed the hype that playing at higher sampling resolutions must obviously be better!

However, these measurements of their latest iteration, are somewhat disappointing because, in a way, I think Mytek kick started Chifi, or at least Chifi seem to have adopted a lot of Mytek's original design philosophy and have now established a commercial model based on a race to perfection or is it just a case of "one upmanship"? The result is, of course, a massive range of DACS that max out at about $4000.

There seems to be a cost increase of $1000 from the BB which I cannot account for or attribute to price inflation (Chifi stable pricing) alone or innovation ( Chifi TOTL) or added features - that appear to have moved little from the BB.

Sadly, my S.M.S.L SU10 blows the Mytek out of the water for reproduction excellence for approx 22% of the cost of this device. The new breed of dual ES9039 chipped units at 25% of the price, leave Mytek's latest offering well behind the Chifi pack. It would be easy configure a system with the latest dual chipped DAC, TOTL preamp and TOTL headphone amp and, theoretically still pay 50% less than this unit! (or less even).

For those that need streaming, then do you really need an Intel I5 chip (quite old architecture) to power Roon when there are excellent streamer units offering staggering levels of reproduction quality at lower cost? for example the Mytek spec is a near spec. match of the Matrix Element 2 ( that's been out in the field for at least a year) and the Matrix Element X has the superior ES9038 chip with bells and whistles. We know the Matrix units are high quality with excellent performance criteria. Something Mytek cannot match from these measurements.

I really don't know why Mytek thought this product would be competitive and the measurements just seem to confirm that perhaps the company were relying on brand image and their value incentive with the I5 chip for Roon. Then again, perhaps Mytek don't believe in the power of measurements!

I think they might need to rethink. Consumers are aware of sites like ASR that provide independent measurements that they can use to benchmark products. Hopefully a lesson learnt for their product development team, then again maybe not because I'm pretty sure they must have heard about ASR and others who test products.
That's why i wonder how HEM (who built the Mytek stuff before), now with their own brand "Ferrum" with models like Wandla; Oor and Erco is (really!) doing, in the HiFi press they are praised very higly, just like Mytek, but how good are they really?

I haven't seen any independent measurements for this brand anywhere yet.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Considering how these boutique audiophool companies operate, their $12.5K streamer probably measures worse while having gold plated bling on front that somehow magically absorbs all the bad waves and stuff.
You have to remember that mainstream companies like Sony and Marantz are not immune to this—witness the extensive copper shielding and copper chassis they used to employ in their TOTL gear in the 80’s and 90’s before it became prohibitively expensive to do so.

staticV3

Master Contributor
You have to remember that mainstream companies like Sony and Marantz are not immune to this—witness the extensive copper shielding and copper chassis they used to employ in their TOTL gear in the 80’s and 90’s before it became prohibitively expensive to do so.
Sony is still doing it
Screenshot_20240229-011021_Chrome.png

Though who knows, maybe they're onto something if it makes "mid to high range sounds linger beautifully"
:rolleyes:

SKBubba

Shots fired...

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
He should have used his time more usefully usefully improving his product.
Keith

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
He should have used his time more usefully usefully improving his product.
Keith
Or full filing orders fully paid since 2021…. This guy has no respect for his customers.

Timmeon

Shots fired...

My favorite part was the founder(!!!) of Mytek linking to an Audiogon post with an "alternative POV" written by a braindead golden ear while seemingly foaming at the mouth.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom