• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do Audio Speakers Break-in?

diablo

Forum Donor
I got a pair of Revel M106s first thing this morning. After I got them set up I listened to a few things and noticed the top end seemed a bit tinny. Odd, I thought.
So I looked up 'Revel speaker break-in' and came across this thread, pretty much dismissing the idea. My speakers are probably similar to the M16s in Amir's first post..
Anyway, I've been playing them all day and everything seems fine now - sound really good. Maybe my hearing was duff this morning? I was never a believer in speaker break-in - but now I'm not entirely sure. :)

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I got a pair of Revel M106s first thing this morning. After I got them set up I listened to a few things and noticed the top end seemed a bit tinny. Odd, I thought.
So I looked up 'Revel speaker break-in' and came across this thread, pretty much dismissing the idea. My speakers are probably similar to the M16s in Amir's first post..
Anyway, I've been playing them all day and everything seems fine now - sound really good. Maybe my hearing was duff this morning? I was never a believer in speaker break-in - but now I'm not entirely sure. :)
You got used to it. Enjoy

If still unsure. Do an FR sweep with REW so we are spared the anecdotes from some posters here and get facts.

diablo

Forum Donor
You got used to it. Enjoy

If still unsure. Do an FR sweep with REW
I did lots of sweeps with REW tis morning. I was impressed with how flat they were in my room - compared to the LS50 Metas they are replacing in that role.

If I had done a final sweep after I finished setting them up and had left the microphone in the same place I would check it, but I didn't.

I never get used to tinny. :)

MAB

Major Contributor
Your results expand the sample from 1 (Amir's) to 5 total, if I count right. In your four samples, you experienced a post-break-in variation of 1.8%, 2.6%, 3.2%, and 10% (!).
The first three are smaller than small temperature changes. The 10% is on four HiVi B3N. I stopped using these drivers since the defect rate and driver to driver variability was so high. Their defect rate was unacceptable (lots of units VC rub), they have dramatically asymmetric BL, high resulting distortion typical of drivers with large non-linearities. Plus I decided I am less into line arrays than I originally thought!

Also, and I think you missed a couple others mentioned, including this earlier in this thread:
It was on a defective Seas Excel woofer. I spend most of my time testing for defect and making sure the driver is back to equilibrium temperature since those are measurably larger. Except of course of the HiVi. At least I post data...
I wonder what 10, or 100 samples would bring ;)
I did multiple samples from each driver. I would be more interested in more drivers. I am more interested in perhaps someone else showing some nice data, in a reasonably well thought out experiment, somewhat controlled for important factors like temperature. But I am yet to see someone post credible data that shows driver break-in on drivers. Or alternately, maybe an illumination as to why the HiVi are the one outlier?

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
But this was a comparison between an existing set of 40s compared to a brand new pair of 11s and then a later similar comparison some time later?

If the now home made ATC tweeters (some now with double suspensions) are anything like as tautly suspended as the bass-mid drivers are, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the tweets take a little while to fully settle down from new - and I bet the 11's as a cheaper speaker don't get the twenty minutes of resonance frequency pounding after manufacture that their larger model bass drivers used to get (I witnessed it so not hearsay) - if they withstand this I was told, they'll take anything an end user gives them.

More conventional-build drive unit suspensions apparently 'form' in the first few back and forth cone cycles and that's it for life. Tweeters may well need to 'form' as well but what I've heard is twenty year old tweeter samples mellowing out (direct memory of B&W 601mk1, original Mission 770 and Rogers LS7T, all of which not holding back up top when new and now old tales of ATC 50A's being thrashed in a Polish radio station needing annual Vifa tweeter dome 'module' replacements as the existing ones went off after this abuse). My Harbeths still sparkle sweetly as designed and the manufacturer insists that these ferro-fluid equipped tweeters don't age or need replacement, not need any running in whatsoever from new.
I hope your kidding. Harbeth possesses secret manufacturing process? Brain adapts. I returned to deep southern Indiana after 10 year absence. Appalled by unintelligible southern drawl. In less than a week didn't notice.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
There should be no religious objection to this - these are physical components that are moving incredibly fast, and there's no physical substrate or surface mankind has yet made that doesn't deform over time, especially assemblies made of silicon/plastic/paper/wood ;)

The question is - are some of these manufacturers building the initial deformation in to their testing cycles so that 'in spec' means after the break in period?

Polk Audio used to have a video where they showed an assembly process 'breaking in' the speakers before packaging, if some manufacturers don't do that it might fall on the buyer.
When will we learn? Marketing 101.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I hope your kidding. Harbeth possesses secret manufacturing process? Brain adapts. I returned to deep southern Indiana after 10 year absence. Appalled by unintelligible southern drawl. In less than a week didn't notice.
Kidding about what? Harbeth have TESTED old and new tweeters to confirm to their satisfaction that fifteen years makes no difference to the tweeters they use. Don't shoot the messenger here!

Same with main drivers if they haven't been abused and they conformed years back in a similar conversation on their forum that the driver 'forms' in the first few cycles and then stabilises in everything apart from temperature sensitivity on the surround which other speaker makers are also well aware of (I think Amir had some fun with a set of Genelecs and a very cold room where the Klippel was set up...

OnLyTNT

The last time I was near it had to do with a disposable razor. We were providing software modeling for a company that was making new products like razors. Picture a razor handle, and think of the rubber-like material in between the handle and the blade assembly. That material needs to bend X times to Y degrees with elasticity not falling below Z% during that period.

The materials scientists would work with us to build the model so they could do 100 physical experiments instead of 100,000. Anyway, what I learned working with them is that materials science is absolutely obsessed with tracking and predicting failures due to heat/stress/deformation on their material, and that no new material made by man resists those things over time. Some things are shipped with a break-in period built in, where the curve evens out and the object lasts longer performing in-spec.
Metal fatigue is a whole different story. I'm sure you know way better than me that elastic materials have different characteristics and properties. I agree that all materiels has a life cycle. Even without usage, a product has a shelf life. Furthermore, each atom has a half-life. Believe or not, a glass window will be thickened at the bottom if you wait hundereds of years.

I believe, we need more data about how degree the physical break in occures with speakers and how it does affect the sound . We need to test many drivers for a long time to conclude a statistically meaningfull results.

On the other hand, I don't believe the results will be satisfactory. Most probably the difference will be in audiable or let's say it is audible it wont happen immediately and it wont be significant.

I have a pair of Audioengine A2 for over 10 years, you can sell them as a new pair. There is no visible wear out whatsoever. They may not be the best sounding speakers but I think they are built very well. Especially new elastic materials last very long time.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
All things change from the beginning to the end. The question is how long that period is. Break-in is exactly what it implies and in every meaning of the word.
If you're in the maintenance field you run test to see if the normal break-in is occuring or not. We used a test that measured the number of particular partials
in an oil sample. Different oil samples with different functions have different SOAP's. Liquid assist cooling systems samples are used to tell when a cooling
pump, heat exchanger and other mechanical parts are failing. There is a certain amount of wear and tear that is considered normal wear over the entire life
of a given piece. That is the "Service life". If you see as little as a teaspoon of antifreeze in oil samples of 4-6 gallons twice in a row, the pan comes off.
You pressure the cooling system and WAIT.

I've experienced break-in vs broken, vs burned up many many many times. I've NEVER tested any brake system over 25mph AFTER a rebuild or brake
work. I've never burnt brake pads, linings or blocks in. I've never driven 100mph on new tires and I've never hopped in a car, PU, tractor, or any piece
of moving equipment, put my foot to the floor held it there and dry-start an engine. I've seen people blow thing up a few times doing it, but hay they
just heard the equipment, they don't fix it.

I've NEVER experienced an operator or otherwise (for that matter) not say or mention that things changed from day one to day two. Never. I'm
talking about a new piece of anything, from tires or track chain to windshield wiper blades to the speakers in the cab that were brand new and sounded
OK at best, to they sound a lot better.

I've installed or repaired at least 100 sound systems in mobile units. boats, planes, cars, PUs, tractors, etc. They all changed from day one to day 30 if there
were new speakers involved. I used a lot of Dayton, Alpine, factory oems, and had the opportunity to compare sided by side identical installs in 5-30
pieces of the same equipment.

The first to go are alway a data point for IM (infant mortality) as a unit is being delivered and if that "break-in" should happen in a warming shed or
400 miles into a frozen tundra. It's better to exceed the IM points and break-in period for a reason. It may be inconvenient to swap a speaker or a
component in a speaker, but think of the same mind set when you have something extraordinary happening in a very remote place with something
as small as a cell phone or as big as a tree harvester in the Louisiana Bayou. Some things break and they stay where they failed forever. Titanic and
the Bismark come to mind. I've had to do some very expensive rescues of equipment behind failures. Boats and high seas are the worst by far.

By pass the warnings this is what happens; NASA test equipment over and over and over to see where the abnormal wear stops and normal
wear begins (break-in) and what parameters need to be maintained to achieve an expected service life. They also learn that somethings don't need a
IM rate added because either Velcro works or it doesn't. Look at the data from the Apollo 1 mission, VELCRO was the main toxic fuel along with 95+%
O2 supply with body collection bags and lines. The final report stated that if they wouldn't have been asphyxiated by the toxic atmosphere they may
have well survived the burns because of their space suits. The problem was the six minutes it took to be able to open the hatch. That is a long time
to hold your breath. Many people that are trained free divers and astronauts can breathe pure O2 and hold their breath over 10 minutes with some
up to 25 minutes. Sigourney Weaver 6.5 minutes.

All speakers have a mechanical component that goes from NEW to ready. THEN to blast. If you test by turning the volume up all the way as
soon as you turn any unit on, enjoy it while it last, it won't last long. That goes for any working, moving breathing equipment or thing.

You start any procedure with caution and AFTER normal "WARM-UP" procedures start a normal day of work. Try leaving out "warm-up" on any hydraulic
based rig, LOL. Try turning the music up all the way and flip the ON switch. How many time do you think you'll get away with it? I can PROVE abuse or
NOT following simple rules will not only shorten the service life of anything it will shorten the life of everything you do it to.

BREAK-IN is as real as YOUR understand of it or the lack thereof. Warm up is just as beneficial to a point. I start a gas rig Idle for 30 seconds, put the car
in gear and release the brake. I slowly turn the SW 40-100 degrees, I'm gone. The first stop sign there is warm air, 1 minute later. All light or
heavy hydraulic equipment I cycle the hydraulics at least one time after a 1 minute warm up. HOSE BURST. # 1 reason for hose failure in cold
equipment.

Everything breaks in, everything warms up everything cools down. ANY engineer worth his salt know, shit happens weather they have experienced
it or not. They certainly didn't say it didn't happen because they didn't experience it. They KNOW it happened or it would still be on the blackboard
or R&D or the Fab shop or the redo shop, to the warrantee shop, or best shop of all "the bullshit, sit and wait shop" because the customer is a dickhead.

I'll give everyone a little piece of advice, I didn't know what a heart attack felt like until I experienced one. I NEVER had a chest pain, NOT one. I felt
like I was drinking boiling hot oil or water. No pain at all, just sick to my stomach and my stomach was on fire. I went to an ER and HE was surprised
but not stupid enough to say it wasn't a heart attack until he ran the old enzyme test. Every nurse there said the same thing, "I've seen indigestion make
people cry it was so bad." Not one had seen a MAN with his stomach on fire and no chest pain, tingling or numbness. 50 hours later I left with one stent
behind a clot, from a bruise on my thigh and went through 16 more before they inserted the second stent 10 weeks later. YES there was a Y and part of the
clot broke apart and went to partially block 1/2 where it split. Once again enzymes for 10 whole weeks and the doctor is thinking, (NOT knowing) there is
still a problem.

Me, I'm a rookie at this heart attack thing. I'm thinking I'll spend the rest of my life like this. If I'd have known you should get stronger quicker I might
have saved myself 10 weeks of the worst diet I've ever eaten and 10 weeks of NO PAIN but a boiling stomach. Do you think it will happen to me
again? Not to this old mechanic.

The moral of that story is simple, shit happens weather you've experienced it or not. The second part is just because someone doesn't know how
to do something or didn't measure a result doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I can't hold my breath for 6.5 minutes, but some people can.
Some people know that a blue reflector in the road means there is a water supply across from it. 90% of the people in the USA don't know that.
BTW The house still burns down if YOU didn't know.

The magical change in the sound of cables. LOL Rested ears maybe, mind boggling changes never has happened to me other than forgetting to plug
the silly thing in all the way or not at all. New tonearm rewire might cause some picky listener a problem, usually not to the point of not listening
though. Teflon caps come to mind to. I'm made some great buys because of Teflons in CJ preamps and VMPS speakers. 2-300 hours they SUCK!
The bigger they are the longer it takes, it's not a magic number its a size thing.

I have a 15 year old center that still isn't broke in with .5% TRT caps. Shame it's a beautiful well made speaker with maybe 50-75 hour on it.
Madagascar ebony. A wire fell off inside I paid 100.00 usd for it. :) 1150.00 new. It's still new actually. You can adjust the mids and tweet,
it has 50 and 100 watt L-Pads. You can HEAR the voices, I remember that very clearly. The V in VMPS. Variable.
Excellent educated user friendly design. It won't fix hard headed or the lack of patience though.

Tools used; SPL meter with fresh batteries, DMM with fresh batteries, and a thermal gun. I use a pair of Dayton Mics and SW when something
sounds wonky.. If your working with the same equipment every day and you can't remember how it sounds.
Shit man/woman go get a mechanic they should be able to, if they make a living at it. That's why it's called a "TEST DRIVE," not a joy ride.

jooc

I have a pair of Audioengine A2 for over 10 years, you can sell them as a new pair. There is no visible wear out whatsoever. They may not be the best sounding speakers but I think they are built very well. Especially new elastic materials last very long time.

Oddly, so do I, bought them in 2014, and they do appear ageless. One of my kids is using them as computer speakers right now. It's like the entire speaker is made of the same otherworldly material that only varies in softness and sponginess. They will probably last forever, they're like the speaker equivalent of a 'Peep.' If all speakers were built that well we'd be lucky. I feel like most of the speakers I encountered on any consumer home stereo growing up ended up 'blown' in some way by moderately loud use.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Kidding about what? Harbeth have TESTED old and new tweeters to confirm to their satisfaction that fifteen years makes no difference to the tweeters they use. Don't shoot the messenger here!

Same with main drivers if they haven't been abused and they conformed years back in a similar conversation on their forum that the driver 'forms' in the first few cycles and then stabilises in everything apart from temperature sensitivity on the surround which other speaker makers are also well aware of (I think Amir had some fun with a set of Genelecs and a very cold room where the Klippel was set up...
Shooting Harbeth's nonsense. They don't possess super duper secret sauce.

YSC

Major Contributor
All things change from the beginning to the end. The question is how long that period is. Break-in is exactly what it implies and in every meaning of the word.
If you're in the maintenance field you run test to see if the normal break-in is occuring or not. We used a test that measured the number of particular partials
in an oil sample. Different oil samples with different functions have different SOAP's. Liquid assist cooling systems samples are used to tell when a cooling
pump, heat exchanger and other mechanical parts are failing. There is a certain amount of wear and tear that is considered normal wear over the entire life
of a given piece. That is the "Service life". If you see as little as a teaspoon of antifreeze in oil samples of 4-6 gallons twice in a row, the pan comes off.
You pressure the cooling system and WAIT.

I've experienced break-in vs broken, vs burned up many many many times. I've NEVER tested any brake system over 25mph AFTER a rebuild or brake
work. I've never burnt brake pads, linings or blocks in. I've never driven 100mph on new tires and I've never hopped in a car, PU, tractor, or any piece
of moving equipment, put my foot to the floor held it there and dry-start an engine. I've seen people blow thing up a few times doing it, but hay they
just heard the equipment, they don't fix it.

I've NEVER experienced an operator or otherwise (for that matter) not say or mention that things changed from day one to day two. Never. I'm
talking about a new piece of anything, from tires or track chain to windshield wiper blades to the speakers in the cab that were brand new and sounded
OK at best, to they sound a lot better.

I've installed or repaired at least 100 sound systems in mobile units. boats, planes, cars, PUs, tractors, etc. They all changed from day one to day 30 if there
were new speakers involved. I used a lot of Dayton, Alpine, factory oems, and had the opportunity to compare sided by side identical installs in 5-30
pieces of the same equipment.

The first to go are alway a data point for IM (infant mortality) as a unit is being delivered and if that "break-in" should happen in a warming shed or
400 miles into a frozen tundra. It's better to exceed the IM points and break-in period for a reason. It may be inconvenient to swap a speaker or a
component in a speaker, but think of the same mind set when you have something extraordinary happening in a very remote place with something
as small as a cell phone or as big as a tree harvester in the Louisiana Bayou. Some things break and they stay where they failed forever. Titanic and
the Bismark come to mind. I've had to do some very expensive rescues of equipment behind failures. Boats and high seas are the worst by far.

By pass the warnings this is what happens; NASA test equipment over and over and over to see where the abnormal wear stops and normal
wear begins (break-in) and what parameters need to be maintained to achieve an expected service life. They also learn that somethings don't need a
IM rate added because either Velcro works or it doesn't. Look at the data from the Apollo 1 mission, VELCRO was the main toxic fuel along with 95+%
O2 supply with body collection bags and lines. The final report stated that if they wouldn't have been asphyxiated by the toxic atmosphere they may
have well survived the burns because of their space suits. The problem was the six minutes it took to be able to open the hatch. That is a long time
to hold your breath. Many people that are trained free divers and astronauts can breathe pure O2 and hold their breath over 10 minutes with some
up to 25 minutes. Sigourney Weaver 6.5 minutes.

All speakers have a mechanical component that goes from NEW to ready. THEN to blast. If you test by turning the volume up all the way as
soon as you turn any unit on, enjoy it while it last, it won't last long. That goes for any working, moving breathing equipment or thing.

You start any procedure with caution and AFTER normal "WARM-UP" procedures start a normal day of work. Try leaving out "warm-up" on any hydraulic
based rig, LOL. Try turning the music up all the way and flip the ON switch. How many time do you think you'll get away with it? I can PROVE abuse or
NOT following simple rules will not only shorten the service life of anything it will shorten the life of everything you do it to.

BREAK-IN is as real as YOUR understand of it or the lack thereof. Warm up is just as beneficial to a point. I start a gas rig Idle for 30 seconds, put the car
in gear and release the brake. I slowly turn the SW 40-100 degrees, I'm gone. The first stop sign there is warm air, 1 minute later. All light or
heavy hydraulic equipment I cycle the hydraulics at least one time after a 1 minute warm up. HOSE BURST. # 1 reason for hose failure in cold
equipment.

Everything breaks in, everything warms up everything cools down. ANY engineer worth his salt know, shit happens weather they have experienced
it or not. They certainly didn't say it didn't happen because they didn't experience it. They KNOW it happened or it would still be on the blackboard
or R&D or the Fab shop or the redo shop, to the warrantee shop, or best shop of all "the bullshit, sit and wait shop" because the customer is a dickhead.

I'll give everyone a little piece of advice, I didn't know what a heart attack felt like until I experienced one. I NEVER had a chest pain, NOT one. I felt
like I was drinking boiling hot oil or water. No pain at all, just sick to my stomach and my stomach was on fire. I went to an ER and HE was surprised
but not stupid enough to say it wasn't a heart attack until he ran the old enzyme test. Every nurse there said the same thing, "I've seen indigestion make
people cry it was so bad." Not one had seen a MAN with his stomach on fire and no chest pain, tingling or numbness. 50 hours later I left with one stent
behind a clot, from a bruise on my thigh and went through 16 more before they inserted the second stent 10 weeks later. YES there was a Y and part of the
clot broke apart and went to partially block 1/2 where it split. Once again enzymes for 10 whole weeks and the doctor is thinking, (NOT knowing) there is
still a problem.

Me, I'm a rookie at this heart attack thing. I'm thinking I'll spend the rest of my life like this. If I'd have known you should get stronger quicker I might
have saved myself 10 weeks of the worst diet I've ever eaten and 10 weeks of NO PAIN but a boiling stomach. Do you think it will happen to me
again? Not to this old mechanic.

The moral of that story is simple, shit happens weather you've experienced it or not. The second part is just because someone doesn't know how
to do something or didn't measure a result doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I can't hold my breath for 6.5 minutes, but some people can.
Some people know that a blue reflector in the road means there is a water supply across from it. 90% of the people in the USA don't know that.
BTW The house still burns down if YOU didn't know.

The magical change in the sound of cables. LOL Rested ears maybe, mind boggling changes never has happened to me other than forgetting to plug
the silly thing in all the way or not at all. New tonearm rewire might cause some picky listener a problem, usually not to the point of not listening
though. Teflon caps come to mind to. I'm made some great buys because of Teflons in CJ preamps and VMPS speakers. 2-300 hours they SUCK!
The bigger they are the longer it takes, it's not a magic number its a size thing.

I have a 15 year old center that still isn't broke in with .5% TRT caps. Shame it's a beautiful well made speaker with maybe 50-75 hour on it.
Madagascar ebony. A wire fell off inside I paid 100.00 usd for it. :) 1150.00 new. It's still new actually. You can adjust the mids and tweet,
it has 50 and 100 watt L-Pads. You can HEAR the voices, I remember that very clearly. The V in VMPS. Variable.
Excellent educated user friendly design. It won't fix hard headed or the lack of patience though.

Tools used; SPL meter with fresh batteries, DMM with fresh batteries, and a thermal gun. I use a pair of Dayton Mics and SW when something
sounds wonky.. If your working with the same equipment every day and you can't remember how it sounds.
Shit man/woman go get a mechanic they should be able to, if they make a living at it. That's why it's called a "TEST DRIVE," not a joy ride.
man you missed all those pages prior, there were researches done on the "break in" of speaker drivers and all those differences occurrs within the first few cycles of movements, i.e. first few seconds to a minute, plus that should be done in the factory QC already for a quick high SPL sweep, i.e. your new speaker installed isn't all new as an unused tyre or engine do. and remember, unless for myth believers, I've personally seen a very serious audiophile who did their burn in at first in his vivid Giya G1, then after a curious kid finger poked his mid dome and he ordered a replacement from a tech, instantly replace it, done a sweep, and then go right into music listening again, nothing percieved changes noticable since then. everything wear and tear, but INSIDE a BOX, in a audible changes scenarios, there have yet to see any measurement nor blind test shows that the breaking in as described in the speaker world exist

DSJR

Major Contributor
Shooting Harbeth's nonsense. They don't possess super duper secret sauce.
They have a cone material which behaves better than cheap poly cones apparently in the upper ranges and is demonstrably far stronger to boot than some other plastic types. It's currently their 'secret sauce,' the rest is very carefully applied convention, all except directivity perhaps, which is the ASR buzzword now that getting a basically flat on-axis response is achievable to a large extent (not that some high end makers are able to do it judging by the horrors HiFi news and Stereophile test).

I have personally known other speaker designers you know (a wonderful learning experience for me in my formative years) - AND THEY ALL SAY THE SAME as regards driver suspension 'forming' and tweeter settling in pretty quickly. There does seem a dispute as regards lifetime of ferrofluid cooled tweeters and I've heard well knackered examples myself and this is where Alan Shaw rows against established opinion. But then until recent more expensive times attracting a different less tech-educated or experienced music loving ownership, Harbeths as a breed aren't usually throttled to death on LOUD compressed contemporary music genres to over-stress their internal components. That may change with the seemingly increased use of too low powered and expensive 'audiophool' amps being used it appears which will drive the tweeters harder with clipped signals .

goat76

Major Contributor
They have a cone material which behaves better than cheap poly cones apparently in the upper ranges and is demonstrably far stronger to boot than some other plastic types. It's currently their 'secret sauce,' the rest is very carefully applied convention, all except directivity perhaps, which is the ASR buzzword now that getting a basically flat on-axis response is achievable to a large extent (not that some high end makers are able to do it judging by the horrors HiFi news and Stereophile test).

I have personally known other speaker designers you know (a wonderful learning experience for me in my formative years) - AND THEY ALL SAY THE SAME as regards driver suspension 'forming' and tweeter settling in pretty quickly. There does seem a dispute as regards lifetime of ferrofluid cooled tweeters and I've heard well knackered examples myself and this is where Alan Shaw rows against established opinion. But then until recent more expensive times attracting a different less tech-educated or experienced music loving ownership, Harbeths as a breed aren't usually throttled to death on LOUD compressed contemporary music genres to over-stress their internal components. That may change with the seemingly increased use of too low powered and expensive 'audiophool' amps being used it appears which will drive the tweeters harder with clipped signals .

This is what a person with many years of experience in speaker design said in another forum (translated):

"Loudspeaker elements are the only parts in a hi-fi system that change sound characteristics after a short period of use. The suspension consists of fibrous materials and elastomers that are anything but linearly elastic and i.a. exhibit significant creep some of which is irreversible and leads to plastic deformation. After a period of use, however, the suspension parts stabilize towards their largely final shape via strain hardening and other hard-to-define processes, and this is usually considered as the element being "broken-in".
However, there is nothing to necessarily say that the element would perform better after break-in, the only thing you can be sure of is that the resonant frequency drops by maybe 10%. In addition, the internal losses usually decrease somewhat."

DSJR

Major Contributor
This is what a person with many years of experience in speaker design said in another forum (translated):

"Loudspeaker elements are the only parts in a hi-fi system that change sound characteristics after a short period of use. The suspension consists of fibrous materials and elastomers that are anything but linearly elastic and i.a. exhibit significant creep some of which is irreversible and leads to plastic deformation. After a period of use, however, the suspension parts stabilize towards their largely final shape via strain hardening and other hard-to-define processes, and this is usually considered as the element being "broken-in".
However, there is nothing to necessarily say that the element would perform better after break-in, the only thing you can be sure of is that the resonant frequency drops by maybe 10%. In addition, the internal losses usually decrease somewhat."
Anyone would think that speaker companies who care about their designs don't measure the performance of their products after hundreds of hours' use. Many do and I've seen tested results in my time.

MAB

Major Contributor

Who said that?

Regarding hard-to-define processes, not so, see videos below. In fact, I think most possible mechanisms (and some fantasy) have been theorized in this thread, some of those theories are reasonable, but of course the magnitude and relevance of the effects is the speculative part of these theories. Like theorizing the type of frictional and chemical degradations that occur in car tires is relevant and significant for a speaker driver (hint, it is not significant and barely relevant).

See Andrew Jones for the most cogent discussion of the physical mechanisms that actually change with break in:

For a well-designed driver:
  • They don't change much
  • The change occurs soon after first operation
  • After change, a speaker is stable until wear-out or damage

Of course, Andrew Jones provides no data in his discussion:). But I did collect and post data, now on 7 different driver models and 16 different driver samples (if I can count right, perhaps I need to consolidate them into one thread.) And of course I posted the only driver I ever measured to demonstrate significant break in effect, the HiVi B3N which is certainly an outlier. I am eager for the driver-theorists and materials experts on this thread to explain that observation;). I've heard so many predictions in these threads, one of these is that I needed to test paper cone speakers since they will obviously break-in more, some sort of appeals to reason at play. In fact paper-cone drivers don't break in more. Andrew Jones' discussion focusses on the spider as being the main source of return-force spring in a driver. The pro-paper-cone-break-in theorists faction apparently misunderstand the role of a cone in a driver. Same misguided theories about the surround persist as well.

With the exception of the HiVi, demonstrating driver break-in as a small effect isn't surprising. I actually expect drivers to be designed to never operate in a frictional regime as a new set of brake pads (theorized in a manifesto above as a reasonable mechanism:facepalm:, while simultaneously confusing break-in with early life fail, maintenance fail, wear-out fail, with warm-up discussion thrown in to add confusiono_O). Andrew Jones alludes to this over and over throughout the videos while discussing good driver design practices. One thing for sure, warming speakers has a much larger effect than break-in!!! Andrew Jones discusses this at the beginning or part 2. I have shown this. Amir saw this in his Neumann KH310 review:
I demonstrate over and over with measurements. Temperature is a larger effect than break-in. Let's just not run wild with this speaker warm-up thing.:p

Also, creep is misrepresented in that quote. Creep is actually the reversible part of deformation, also called hysteresis. I have measured this, you can actually see the effect of creep/hysteresis in some of my break-in test results if you look carefully.

Also, I do see lots of appeals to reason here (everybody knows that frictional forces blah blah...), and appeals to expertise (I work on cars, I am an XYZ-scientist, I'm involved with NASA space programs, etc...) I am a Physicist, I work in a manufacturing field where materials are modeled and tested for reliability for each underlying physical mechanism. I develop tests and experiments to be able to predict and screen for wear-out time to fail, early-life fail, random and systematic fails, on systems with critical reliability requirements and dramatic failure modes. If I hadn't made so many speaker driver tests in the course of my audio hobby I might be tempted to speculate on all sorts of mechanisms that cause my speakers to change, and lead myself to believe these are a significant part of my listening experience, and attribute my untested theories to what I think I hear. I would likely even defend my position due to my belief that my expertise is relevant and my anecdotal observations are unbiased (although I hope not, but I never can completely control my ego:mad:). I would like to see more measurements to actually illuminate what happens. They are some of the easier audio measurements to make, even if some care is needed in doing the experiment and what is being tested.[/SPOILER]

Top Bottom