• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp discussion

Jimbodinho

Supposedly, the manufacturing date is in the first digits of the serial number (sticker on the box and bottom of the amp). Mine starts with P1TF2350 plus five more digits, which might indicate week 50 of 2023.
Same here.

Malis

Mine was PCB version 2, so it looks like that not all units are defective with the whine noise.

I disassembled mine and it is dead silent. Also, thanks to Wiim for not gluing the rubber feet on the bottom. It is good that they are just rubber plugs and it seems that Wiim is conscious about repairing.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
K
Heya, I just had my Wiim amp delivered today, and thought you guys may appreciate a couple of internal pictures, not great quality pictures as I didn't want to unplug the daughter boards, and glue. I also want to give Linkplay props for not glueing the case shut, it's the 4 rubber feet which pop off with no glue and 4 screws under them, and the bottom cover pops off with a wireless antenna attached. The mainboard with the gigantic heatsink attached needs prying out, and you have access to everything.

The heatsink is much larger than expected it's a nice touch that the aluminium case is used as a heatsink for the power MOSFETs and the SOC for the A98 module is cooled by it's own heatsink which is attached to the case.
Thank you. I just ordered this. I figured it was a good gateway to get one of my kids into hi fi.

Edit: The wife might like this if it could do the tv ans then she has the apple version of air play? Right this would do the airplay? I am an Android person. I would so love to get my family into my hobby. We used to ride dirt bikes but I flew off and hit the ground so hard I had a near death experience.

Last edited:

Miker 1102

Forum Donor

Has anyone had one of these hands on yet? @amirm?

A chip amp hanging off a Wiim Pro Plus (almost, slightly different DAC chip I think). Looks like it could be a good HDMI ARC alternative to my NAD D3045...

Cheers,
Andrew
I ordered one. I fried the NAD before I got a chance to really work it. The arc sucked on the NAD. I am hoping this device is one for the family to get I to work if. I am secretly hoping it's good enough for when I have to downsize. I had this idea of buying high end gear but after realizing that I might be able to pull of high res, equalizer, sub our, ess dac, and arc for 300. If it can handle my q150s and my little mirage sub. I will be set for apartment living. My tenant next store will have to get used to Rush and Led Zeppelin mighty quick

Last edited:

Matt_Holland

K

Thank you. I just ordered this. I figured it was a good gateway to get one of my kids into hi fi.

Edit: The wife might like this if it could do the tv ans then she has the apple version of air play? Right this would do the airplay? I am an Android person. I would so love to get my family into my hobby. We used to ride dirt bikes but I flew off and hit the ground so hard I had a near death experience.
It can do the TV via HDMI and it can do Apple Airplay. If your TV has ARC the amp will auto switch to the HDMI input when the TV is turned on. Amp will also switch on automatically when you AirPlay to it.

Wiim Amp could earn you some serious brownie points with your wife.

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
FWIW my amp just arrived from U.S. Amazon.
Ordered Jan. 4 when Amazon was saying "arrives Jan 18-23" and they kept their commitment (barely)
build date 20240113
pcb v5
No obvious coil whine.
If I place my ear directly on the case, with no music playing & no speakers connected, I can just barely hear a very quiet "clicking" type sound from the interior.

The USB drive functionality is a little unstable. Sometimes USB shows up as a source option in the app, sometimes it doesn't. My ~ 1500 albums seemed to get fully indexed, but even Wiim has left me dumbfounded with their sorting by song artist rather than album artist. Same dumb choice that Pioneer makes in their head units. I had hopes that Wiim would be more sophisticated in this regard. Very disappointing.

Anyone happen to know if Wiim's sorting looks at the "artist sort" field in the metadata (as opposed to "artist" field) when sorting/indexing? I have an application that could xfer album artist data into the artist sort field, which would force the Wiim Amp to defacto sort by album artist. IF their sort uses that field. Or if Wiim provided for different sorts in the settings (which, afaik, they don't). I'll probably need to register on the Wiim forums to work this out, but thought it was worth a mention here.

flor

FWIW my amp just arrived from U.S. Amazon.
Ordered Jan. 4 when Amazon was saying "arrives Jan 18-23" and they kept their commitment (barely)
build date 20240113
pcb v5
No obvious coil whine.
If I place my ear directly on the case, with no music playing & no speakers connected, I can just barely hear a very quiet "clicking" type sound from the interior.

The USB drive functionality is a little unstable. Sometimes USB shows up as a source option in the app, sometimes it doesn't. My ~ 1500 albums seemed to get fully indexed, but even Wiim has left me dumbfounded with their sorting by song artist rather than album artist. Same dumb choice that Pioneer makes in their head units. I had hopes that Wiim would be more sophisticated in this regard. Very disappointing.

Anyone happen to know if Wiim's sorting looks at the "artist sort" field in the metadata (as opposed to "artist" field) when sorting/indexing? I have an application that could xfer album artist data into the artist sort field, which would force the Wiim Amp to defacto sort by album artist. IF their sort uses that field. Or if Wiim provided for different sorts in the settings (which, afaik, they don't). I'll probably need to register on the Wiim forums to work this out, but thought it was worth a mention here.
Send feedback in the Wiim Home app. They are very responsive.

xSDMx

In stock at crutchfield!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240124-130917.png
    Screenshot_20240124-130917.png
    293.2 KB · Views: 105

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not in the market for one, but have to say the WIIM Amp is certainly intriguing and looking forward to seeing how it stacks up. Really is super cool to have brands like WIIM offering such great value in the scene and also good quality to go with it.

vurt

Hi everyone, I have a newbie question: How do I connect this to an MK VX-7 subwoofer?

The sub has inputs from the amplifier—they remind me PC 2.1 subs that take bare wires?

It also has what's plainly labelled "Inputs". They say "Left/Mono" and "Right". They look like RCA.

Where does the sub out connect to, and with what kind of cable?

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
Hi everyone, I have a newbie question: How do I connect this to an MK VX-7 subwoofer?

The sub has inputs from the amplifier—they remind me PC 2.1 subs that take bare wires?

It also has what's plainly labelled "Inputs". They say "Left/Mono" and "Right". They look like RCA.

It's the rca cord out from the sub out to the rca in on the sub. You can Google a demonstration or message me tomorrow and I can look up the back of your sub.

Malis

You need to connect Left/Mono RCA in on the back of the sub to the Wiim Amp Sub Out RCA.

Vladetz

Malis

I already have the app update and the new firmware. It works great.
Pace of updates and implementation of new features is really amazing on all wiim products
Really, I have not experienced any other situation where updates have been delivered in such a pace.

Top Bottom