• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

terryforsythe

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Progress made.

I enabled access to "Developer options" on my tablet. In there, I went to "Background process limit" and set it to "No background processes". CPU utilization is staying pretty constant at 14% while streaming. There are some increases in utilization and clock speed, but overall CPU utilization appears to be significantly lower than yesterday. I am not seeing the CPU utilization max out unless I'm opening an app.

Hopefully this is the fix. So far, so good.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Progress made.

I enabled access to "Developer options" on my tablet. In there, I went to "Background process limit" and set it to "No background processes". CPU utilization is staying pretty constant at 14% while streaming. There are some increases in utilization and clock speed, but overall CPU utilization appears to be significantly lower than yesterday. I am not seeing the CPU utilization max out unless I'm opening an app.

Hopefully this is the fix. So far, so good.
As I read this, I was hoping that you had found a backdoor into the LS60 operations...............................

Damned

1000€ just for this colour - still hard to digest - but I love it, don't you ?

PXL_20240111_143410317.jpg

Last edited:

GA16SE

1000€ just for this colour - still hard to digest - but I love it, don't you ?

View attachment 341491
Actually, it’s not just for the colour. The LS60 Wireless Lotus Edition was created in partnership with and inspired by the British Racing Green of the iconic brand. So, in exchange for some extra amount, one gets a Lotus label on a green background. You’re right, still hard to digest.

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
Update - I think the changes I have made to my tablet finally eliminated the stuttering. I streamed from my tablet to my LS60s all day yesterday and I didn't hear any stuttering.

thank you Kemmler3D! Your'e insight was very helpful.

We'll see how it goes the next few weeks. If the stuttering re-appears I will post an update. If not, I consider the issue resolved.

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
Last edited:

Unit

Contrary to my earlier post, the wifi speed again keeps on dropping, also on the 5G connection, till playback has dropouts or hickups. :facepalm:

Sick of it!

I’m gonna use a ethernet cable now, which is RIDICULOUS.

@Kef fix this asap. @jackocleebrown

@Puddingbuks and everyone else facing issues with LS60 network speeds dropping over time till music playback stutters, I troubleshot this issue for months in early to mid 2023. I still face this issue on the latest firmware, even with an optimal WiFi set-up with all the best practices followed. I concluded it is not my network set up but some flaw in the implementation of WiFi in the KEF LS60s. A loaner set from my local dealer had the same issues so it's not just my particular LS60. I spoke extensively with KEF support and they continually blamed my network set up so I have given up on them.

Good news is I doubt most regular users will even notice this problem. Streaming protocols/services like Apple Airplay, Chromecast, DLNA/UPnP, Tidal, Spotify take up minimal bandwidth. I noticed the issue (music stutters and playback becomes impossible) when streaming 24bit FLAC files using Roon. Roon's RAAT protocol apparently sends uncompressed PCM (24bit 192khz files issues after 2-4 days connected, KEF app reported speeds around 7mbps; 24bit 96khz after 4-8 days connected, KEF app reported speeds around 3-4mbps). If you're facing issues with other modes of streaming, optimize your network first.

You also won't notice this problem if you do not leave your LS60 on standby (hard power off after each use or power cycle regularly) or do not leave it connected to WiFi (your WiFi equipment reboots every night) or your LS60 randomly roams between APs or switches between networks unbeknownst to you (mesh set ups; or multiple APs overlapping and transmitting the same SSID; or 2.4 and 5ghz sharing the SSID) or you use ethernet cable thus forgoing the 'Wireless' feature.

Anyone interested to know more can head over to my old reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/KEF/comments/14k1itw
edit: fixed typo

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
The wireless problems should’ve never happened. I mean, wifi is so longbout there and improved, it’s just unacceptable that such a low bandwidth use like audio is causing problems.

@jackocleebrown Kef please respond.

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
The wireless problems should’ve never happened.
I had wireless problems, but ultimately found the issue was due to my tablet, not the LS60s. Specifically, background tasks were kicking in on my tablet while streaming Tidal in the highest fidelity setting, overloading my processor. After turning off all background tasks on Friday, I have not heard a single stutter, and I have been streaming a lot.

Streaming to the LS60s from my NAS or my Windows computer works flawlessly, and required no changes to those systems whatsoever.

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
The other changes I made, which have improved the wireless links between my tablet and LS60s, were the following:

1. On my tablet, setting my WiFi connection as "unmetered".

2. In my router, assigning static IP addresses to my tablet and LS60s; and under QoS, assigning the connection between those IP addresses as "priority".

These steps eliminated bandwidth fluctuations when streaming from my tablet to the LS60s.

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
I had wireless problems, but ultimately found the issue was due to my tablet, not the LS60s. Specifically, background tasks were kicking in on my tablet while streaming Tidal in the highest fidelity setting, overloading my processor. After turning off all background tasks on Friday, I have not heard a single stutter, and I have been streaming a lot.

Streaming to the LS60s from my NAS or my Windows computer works flawlessly, and required no changes to those systems whatsoever.
I use Tidal, I thought the LS60 gets its own stream through wifi from the internet and tidal servers, not through my ipad.

“Unlike Apple AirPlay and Bluetooth, Tidal Connect streams do not travel through the smartphone or tablet on their way to the paired network streamer.”

Last edited:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the LSX not the LS60 I opt to use the included speaker to speaker wire even if they are conected with wifi . It's just tempting fate to have the speaker to speaker link also as a wireless thing ( i also thinks its limits the resolution otherwise )

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
I use Tidal, I thought the LS60 gets its own stream through wifi from the internet and tidal servers, not through my ipad.
It appears to be more complicated. The LS60s are receiving the stream from Tidal, but there appears to be a lot of data being processed by my tablet when I use it to control the streaming. Monitoring my tablet's CPU usage, it fluctuates with the complexity of the music (bitrate). If I pause the music and turn off the LS60s, the fluctuations drop down. When I turn the LS60s back on and restart the music, my CPU usage goes back up. On the other hand, if I turn off my tablet while music is streaming, it continues to play on the LS60s.

I don't know what data is being exchanged between my tablet and the LS60s when streaming. But, after making the changes noted above I have not had any stuttering.

One thing you could try is start a stream, then turn off your tablet. If the stuttering stops, then try making the same changes to your tablet and router.

If you still have stuttering issues, in your router I would assign a static IP address to the LS60s, find the IP address for Tidal, and under your router's QoS settings add as "priority" the connection from your LS60s' IP address and the Tidal IP address. (Note though, on my system, when I controlled streaming with my NAS or computer I didn't have any stuttering issues, which is how I narrowed it down to being an issue with my tablet).

Last edited:

Unit

It appears to be more complicated. The LS60s are receiving the stream from Tidal, but there appears to be a lot of data being processed by my tablet when I use it to control the streaming. Monitoring my tablet's CPU usage, it fluctuates with the complexity of the music (bitrate).
Strange, Tidal should not work like this with a Tidal Connect capable endpoint. Data goes from Tidal servers to internet to endpoint (via your router/network), no tablet in between. Casting via Apple Airplay/Bluetooth works this way (using the tablet to receive then out to endpoint).

23johnnymac

Hey all

I’m pretty green with electronics and could use a little bit of help as to where an appropriate good starting point would be at to dial my subs in. I just got the ls60’s and 2 rel s/510’s. I’m in a rental waiting for my new house to be built and ready.
So should I just turn all my sub knobs as far right wide open and use the Kef app to eq or dial the knobs somewhere else and I have no idea about HP frequency and the others within the app other than 2 subs and stereo. I don’t care about REW and other mic measures until I’m settled in the new home . Any ideas and suggestions much appreciated Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_2207.jpeg
    IMG_2207.jpeg
    958.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2206.jpeg
    IMG_2206.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2210.jpeg
    IMG_2210.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 61

napfkuchen

There's an opportunity for me to listen to a used pair of LS 60s in my area and (hopefully, if I like their sound) buy them at a good price. But I'm still unsure about the exact connection method to my existing equipment, and I haven't read anything about it in the instructions... If I want to connect the LS 60 as a front speaker to the Denon X3800, I'll use the pre-out of the Denon and the aux input of the Kef, right? If I leave all the settings on the Kefs to standard, will the room correction with Dirac work on the receiver?

Top Bottom