• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp discussion

s0nix

I've received my Wiim amp a few days ago. The issue with the humming is there, but it's really quiet, nothing like somebody said that it's audible across the room. In reality, you can only hear it when you are very near the device, and even then, the noise is pretty quiet. My unit sits in a cabinet with glass doors, so the noise is basically eliminated. Since it's been corrected in later batches, are the first units with the noise somewhat worse technically? I mean, what negatives does that noise bring, apart from noise lol?

Another interesting fact is that you can enable subwoofer connection even if you're not connected to the sub via sub out, and you can adjust the crossover. My thought is that if you then connect a sub using high-level inputs, this could be a very useful feature to cut any bass from the speakers. But I'm wondering if the crossover setting also affects the subwoofer connected via high level somehow?

Attachments

• 1704805543611114.jpg
    1704805543611114.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 36

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But I'm wondering if the crossover setting also affects the subwoofer connected via high level somehow?
Yes it is

With high level connections, the sub gets exactly the same signal as the mains (how could it not?). So if you high pass the mains, the sub doesn't get any sub frequencies either.

Last edited:

s0nix

Yes it is

The with high level connections, the sub gets exactly the same signal as the mains (how could it not?). So if you high pass the mains, the sub doesn't get any sub frequencies either.
Thanks for clarifying things. :D

xSDMx

Well, good news! I just got my replacement WiiM Amp from Amazon and it has absolutely no audible hum issue!

I received my first WiiM Amp from Amazon on 12/27 with PCB version 2 and my replacement was received today on 1/12 with PCB version 5.

As a separate tangent, WiiM should reconsider their packaging. My first WiiM Amp was thrown in an oversized Amazon box and so I blamed Amazon for the WiiM box being crushed and having broken packaging seals. My second WiiM Amp arrived in a perfectly fit Amazon box covered in fragile labels. When I first opened the box I was actually worried that I received a used unit because one of the packaging seals was sheared off, but the unit was packaged with accessories per usual and has a new PCB revision. I also noticed that the remote baggie was opened. I wonder if WiiM hand inspected some of these units due to the hum issue and/or refurbished existing inventory.

Whatever the case may be, I'm very happy! Now I'm just waiting to get the firmware update with HDMI standby to rollout (I wish there was a way to opt in to immediate updates) and then the next upcoming update with per source volume control. My only other major feedback item is improving the pops and clicks between tracks when WiFi streaming, but I already filed a support ticket about that.

soulfresh

Hi! After reading your review: So the miracle didn't happen in the sound part of the device "WIIM Amp" . The sound is muddy. I also have a Kef Q. So to the turbidity in the sound of the speakers will be added to the turbidity of the sound of the amplifier wiim. Sadly.
But I wanted to buy it, but the sound is also important. Now I don’t even know what to buy, just smsl ao300..
I wouldn’t attach any meaning to a subjective review. Wait for the measurements.

@bcfc I have to agree with @flor as it's very subjective observation that the mids with the WXA-50 is "cleaner" comparing Wiim amp. Furthermore, after my EQ adjustments on the Wiim amp, it's more "enjoyable" (or YT audiophiles term "dynamic" or "musical" lol) to listen to than WXA-50!

There are plenty of options if you only need a basic amp instead of a Streamer+DAC+AMP all-in-one!

Last edited:

VladimirJ

If you’re not going to large party levels then yes fine. I’ve tried mine with a pair of MA Silver 50s and Triangle BR03s. Plenty of drive with both although the BR03s are more sensitive so do hit volume easier.
Hello,
Could you please give us your impressions about the sound quality of WiiM connected to BR03s?
I have those speakers and a WiiM Amp on order and was wondering what could I expect of the combo...
Thanks

bcfc

There are plenty of options if you only need a basic amp instead of a Streamer+DAC+AMP all-in-one!
I'd like to have at least a dac + amp. Wiim is good because it's also a streamer. Too bad I don't live in the US, I could order both wiim amp and loxjie a40. To then give up one of the two. As for me these are two good options, loxjie amp is written about that has excellent sound, but wiim has the advantage of support updates and bug fixes, for example, when working with hdmi cec.

wilkman

Well, good news! I just got my replacement WiiM Amp from Amazon and it has absolutely no audible hum issue!

I received my first WiiM Amp from Amazon on 12/27 with PCB version 2 and my replacement was received today on 1/12 with PCB version 5.

As a separate tangent, WiiM should reconsider their packaging. My first WiiM Amp was thrown in an oversized Amazon box and so I blamed Amazon for the WiiM box being crushed and having broken packaging seals. My second WiiM Amp arrived in a perfectly fit Amazon box covered in fragile labels. When I first opened the box I was actually worried that I received a used unit because one of the packaging seals was sheared off, but the unit was packaged with accessories per usual and has a new PCB revision. I also noticed that the remote baggie was opened. I wonder if WiiM hand inspected some of these units due to the hum issue and/or refurbished existing inventory.

Whatever the case may be, I'm very happy! Now I'm just waiting to get the firmware update with HDMI standby to rollout (I wish there was a way to opt in to immediate updates) and then the next upcoming update with per source volume control. My only other major feedback item is improving the pops and clicks between tracks when WiFi streaming, but I already filed a support ticket about that.
Thanks. Did you get in touch with Amazon directly regarding a replacement? Or did you manage it via the direct wiim service contact in the app?

Last edited:

xSDMx

Thanks. Did you get in touch with Amazon directly regarding a replacement? Or did you manage it via the direct wiim service contact in the app?
WiiM has very low inventory so it might be faster now to replace via retailer.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Problem with replace via retailer - is you've no way of knowing if you will get a modified device. I very much doubt retailers are controlling stock by PCB version. Most probably won't even have a secure first in first out process.

bcfc

Is there a photo of the amplifier WIIM inside? Maybe after photo's I've seen there are assuming some dual opamps inside that may get replaced with some Sparkos discrete opamps; that should definitely open up the sound some more and add some air and micro detail.

wilkman

Okay, as I bought it via audio trade, the official retailer, I would ask for them how to proceed. Maybe the tell me to ask for a replacement by using the app. But first I'll need to see if the HDMI feature works as expected now.

Last edited:

xSDMx

Problem with replace via retailer - is you've no way of knowing if you will get a modified device. I very much doubt retailers are controlling stock by PCB version. Most probably won't even have a secure first in first out process.
Inventory is so limited that any new purchase is guaranteed to be from a new batch. Amazon US, for example, doesn't have excess inventory from the first batch and every shipment is coming basically straight from WiiM factory to Amazon fulfillment (unless you're buying used, of course).

Last edited:

xSDMx

If anyone is curious, my humming Amazon US unit delivered on 12/27/23 with PCB version 2 was made the 46th week of 2023 and is unit # 956 whereas my silent Amazon US unit delivered on 1/12/24 with PCB version 5 was made the 50th week of 2023 and is # 4975, so these units are selling fast especially accounting for shipping time from the factory in China to Amazon US fulfillment and it seems WiiM made the PCB revision very quickly which aligns with their public statements about the matter.

bcfc

Here is a picture of the PCB. The noise in my device comes from the PSU at the bottom side, especially those yellow coils. The Wiim Amp uses a lot of heatsinks which are connected to the top cover using pads. On the bottom of the PCB is a massive heatsink that is glued to the pcb using pads too.

It also has a modular board with A113X chip for far-field voice stuff.
Hello! Could you take a photo - what operational amplifiers are installed there?

Attachments

• IMG_20240113_215334.jpg
    IMG_20240113_215334.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 174

Malis

Is the microphone on the back of the amp meant for Alexa and Google home use?

Malis

That would be nice, if paired with the microphone in the remote control, the PEQ will gain a much higher capabilities.

Brantome

Major Contributor
IIRC that's for room correction which will be enabled in the future.
Is it not more likely it’s the same pinhole mic used for syncing WiiM devices? I wouldn’t see that as sufficient for room correction.

Top Bottom