• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Interview about Measurements with Pearl Sibelius Speaker Designer

norman bates

Forum Donor
I think Haley mentions they changed to square voice coil wire.

Something about a fuzzy-ness heard on an instrument I don't remember.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really don't see why EQs and effect plugins are not easier and more expedient to adapt to different moods and recordings than having different systems, can you please explain it for me?

I think having multiple systems with different radiation patterns is fun, and can't really be reproduced with EQ. More expensive, though :(

I do also have some set EQ filters for particularly bad recordings, but they are very broad, to fix things like "this song needs more bass", or "this treble is hurting my ears".

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think having multiple systems with different radiation patterns is fun, and can't really be reproduced with EQ. More expensive, though :(

I do also have some set EQ filters for particularly bad recordings, but they are very broad, to fix things like "this song needs more bass", or "this treble is hurting my ears".
True, although as you probably know nowadays there exist even few loudspeakers with variable directivity.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
True, although as you probably know nowadays there exist even few loudspeakers with variable directivity.
Much cheaper to buy one Harman style speaker (JBL, Revel, KEF, Genelec, Perlisten) and one exotic (Magnepan, Bose 901, etc) than any one speaker with variable directivity.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Much cheaper to buy one Harman style speaker (JBL, Revel, KEF, Genelec, Perlisten) and one exotic (Magnepan, Bose 901, etc) than any one speaker with variable directivity.
Of course, personally I wouldn't go though for the Magnepans or 901s but other wide or dipole loudspeakers if I want some specific different directivity.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I never encounter that problem and I have three EQ units plus my pre-amp has tone controls with selectable bandwidth. Never use them.

It also has a 'Loudness' button which should really be labelled 'Totally Ruin The Sound Quality For No Real Benefit' button, but I suspect they couldn't fit all that script on the fascia.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is variable directivity? Just a guess, but I would assume it's a speaker that allows you to adjust the directivity? Never heard that term before.

Only speakers I know of off the dome that do that are the Beolab90 and the W371A from Genelec. It seems like it would almost have to be an active speaker.

I just watched the new Genelec Ones unveiling video, and maybe they just didn't mention it, but it seems like even that speaker doesn't allow you to do that.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is variable directivity? Just a guess, but I would assume it's a speaker that allows you to adjust the directivity? Never heard that term before.

Only speakers I know of off the dome that do that are the Beolab90 and the W371A from Genelec. It seems like it would almost have to be an active speaker.

I just watched the new Genelec Ones unveiling video, and maybe they just didn't mention it, but it seems like even that speaker doesn't allow you to do that.

The classic NHT VT series had a switch. It relied on the directivity error as a feature not a bug.

“In audio mode, the crossover point is 2.3 kHz with 12-dB-per-octave slopes. In video mode, the crossover is at 5.5 kHz with 6-dB-per-octave slopes.”

These are the other ones I know off the top of my head.

1) Super rare, discontinued as soon as it was launched.

2) PA quality not audiophile quality, but changing the directivity is associated with Eq changes

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes, I meant few Beolab models like the 90 and 50 and this one from Harman:

afinepoint

Forum Donor
Again, that is your opinion and personal preference.
Most music lovers couldn't care less about sound quality, let alone the pursuit of high fidelity.
Some audiophiles, myself included, are interested in the pursuit of high fidelity but others have different ways of approaching the hobby and different requirements for recorded music reproduction. For those, a wide selection of equipment with different 'presentations' is paramount for their enjoyment.
Also, with perhaps the exception of classical music all other genres are not meant to sound like live music which, one could argue, makes the obssessive pursuit of high fidelity a rather pointless exercise...
Regardless of where you stand I am sure you would agree that the ultimate goal is listening enjoyment. As such, criticising different approaches and preferences is an expression of intolerance and lack of understanding. If someone prefers vinyl over digital or euphony over accuracy that is deifintely not wrong.

Sorry, old thread I realize. Just popped up. Not sure how.

Again, that is your opinion and personal preference.

As are my following thoughts.

Most music lovers couldn't care less about sound quality, let alone the pursuit of high fidelity.

I agree more than disagree. Although I think "many" could care less. This is from my lifetime of listening and asking audiophiles and average Joes, audio outlets and others what they own and why. I have no supporting researched to back this up. I feel their idea of high fidelity clashes with ours. Just my experiences.

Some audiophiles, myself included, are interested in the pursuit of high fidelity but others have different ways of approaching the hobby and different requirements for recorded music reproduction.

ASR members and others such are likely a very small percentage of audio equipment buyers. That is probably why we struggle with finding accurate data outside of doing it ourselves. Likely the vast majority are buying based on price, what their buddies own, volume(speaker capabilities), weight, will it fit, esthetics etc, etc. If it costs alot it must be good. How often have we heard that? So person A spends $5k on an AC regenerator person B doesn't. Group C spends five times on DACs that we will due to amir's testing. Who are the manufacturers going to listen to and cater to? Not us.

Also, with perhaps the exception of classical music all other genres are not meant to sound like live music which, one could argue, makes the obssessive pursuit of high fidelity a rather pointless exercise...

Disagree. Not sure what you mean by "not meant to sound like live music". Not meant by whom? With the exception of concerts I think every artist wants their musical reproduction to sound live or what's in the studio and it's up to the long line of audio engineers, equipment designers and other professionals between them and us who's job it is to see that that happens. I've known some that listen only to rock and are trying to recreate that studio sound. Or concert - good luck with that. Jazz is another area where people want the soundstage of the club to come through their loudspeakers and fill the room. I could go on but it's certainly not pointless.

Regardless of where you stand I am sure you would agree that the ultimate goal is listening enjoyment. As such, criticising different approaches and preferences is an expression of intolerance and lack of understanding. If someone prefers vinyl over digital or euphony over accuracy that is deifintely not wrong.

So many here will disagree and wave that digital flag. You simply have to drop in on the thread about vinyl resurgence to see that intolerance. Mainly by one individual who's been called out.

But I agree 100% with you on these last points. In the end all that matters is the ears of the buyer. Why some take issue with that befuddles me.

It's their choice and their money.

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
Finally I built a DIY speaker inspired by the Sibelius with the same hight but with the driver chn110 and with bass reflex loading. I also made comparisons with my Genelec 8340 speakers.

Geert

Major Contributor
Could ASR not do a review of these speakers?

How ASR works is that users or manufacturers send in products for measurement, so feel free to do so. For this speaker I don't expect the manufacturer to take the initiative.

Tangogod

How ASR works is that users or manufacturers send in products for measurement, so feel free to do so. For this speaker I don't expect the manufacturer to take the initiative.

I dont have a pair. :facepalm:

Seen some good stuff from the founder on Youtube and like how he is supporting artists. Interesting design without a tweeter. So when I came across this thread thought I would ask.

Top Bottom