• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I really doubt you could hear any difference for upsampled content if there are no transport issues related to higher sample rate.
Back in days when we from vhs to dvd it was a wow factor then years later to Blu-ray it was also wow factor, not in music.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Legacy app ran on my Chromebook 3 but I hav'nt bought a Wiim Mini yet so can't test the app. It definitely slows the Chromebook, pointer movement is slow.

What's your opinion of the Legacy app for streaming major sites (Amazon Music HD, Tidal etc)?
It's fine for streaming, but you won't be able to fully config the WiiM with it. You'll need to borrow a proper phone to do that.

Note that you can also stream directly from the native Amazon and Tidal apps to the WiiM, without using the WiiM app. The native apps work well on Chromebooks.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Can you give me some ideas how to capture digital optical out without any fancy, exotic equipment? Are you aware of any USB soundcard that supports optical in?

This one seems to have optical in: Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...usb-external-7-1-channel-audio-adapter.14058/
Inexpensive Toslink hats for Raspberry Pi are probably the cheapest way. Use the Sox toolkit to record. Simple.

A052359D-173D-45F7-865D-C9AD1565ADFC.jpeg

inovato.wav.png

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's fine for streaming, but you won't be able to fully config the WiiM with it. You'll need to borrow a proper phone to do that.

Note that you can also stream directly from the native Amazon and Tidal apps to the WiiM, without using the WiiM app. The native apps work well on Chromebooks.
Any app that supports UPnP should be able to stream music to the WiiM. Just select the Wiim as the speaker/source and push the play button. I use Audirvana. I prefer it's music selection interface on the computer vs the Wiim App on iPad. You can also select the Wiim using Airplay2 in the Mac OS X sound system preferences. This allows the audio from Netflix movies to be played wirelessly on your speakers ... or the sound from any other Mac app for that matter. The amount of ways to pass audio to the WiiM puck via UPnP or Airplay2 are significant.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Any app that supports UPnP should be able to stream music to the WiiM. Just select the Wiim as the speaker/source and push the play button. I use Audirvana. I prefer it's music selection interface on the computer vs the Wiim App on iPad. You can also select the Wiim using Airplay2 in the Mac OS X sound system preferences. This allows the audio from Netflix movies to be played wirelessly on your speakers ... or the sound from any other Mac app for that matter. The amount of ways to pass audio to the WiiM puck via UPnP or Airplay2 are significant.
All true.

Specific to the Legacy App on Chromebooks, however, there's no way to select between the Optical and analog outputs, no way to set the bit depth and rate of the optical, etc. It's limited to streaming after those have been set by the full WiiM Home app.

Either borrow a phone to install the WiiM Home app, or side-load the .apk on your Chromebooks from a reputable source.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Looks like there are some WiiM Pro test units in the wild...

Thanks. I can certainly use my wife's phone for initial Wiim setup. I already checked Wiim can be installed on her phone.

If the native apps work well on Chromebooks why the need for Wiim? Why not output from Chromebook's USB to a USB DAC?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Thanks. I can certainly use my wife's phone for initial Wiim setup. I already checked Wiim can be installed on her phone.

If the native apps work well on Chromebooks why the need for Wiim? Why not output from Chromebook's USB to a USB DAC?
Well, for one, the cable would sure limit the portability of your Chromebook. Also, I believe the maximum output is 48k, even to a USB DAC - everything is processed internally, there's no bypassing it, AFAIK.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Looks like there are some WiiM Pro test units in the wild...

Expecting mine next week :D

Brantome

Major Contributor
How do you get to test pro?
I offered several months ago when it was announced, and given I’ve submitted more than my fair share of tickets (including a rather detailed one that elicited the response that I was ‘pretty’ - I think they meant ‘great’ and that the true meaning was lost in translation - or I hope it was :oops: ), they offered me a unit to test. I’ve known about it for a few months and kept it quiet, but given someone else has broken the silence and I got a confirmation email today that it would be express shipped to me next Monday, I thought I could finally mention it.

Looking forward to see how it handles Amazon Music HD and multiroom as I have been experiencing some dropouts on the Mini that they’re attributing to lack of memory.

Well, for one, the cable would sure limit the portability of your Chromebook. Also, I believe the maximum output is 48k, even to a USB DAC - everything is processed internally, there's no bypassing it, AFAIK.
OK, do we know 48KHz for sure (Amz Music HD & Tidal)? Fire TV Sticks are also Andoid based and output at 24/192, a more perfect transcode.

Bamyasi

OK, do we know 48KHz for sure (Amz Music HD & Tidal)? Fire TV Sticks are also Andoid based and output at 24/192, a more perfect transcode.
Only from Amazon Music app running on them, everything else is still fixed at 16/48.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Yeah, with fire tv devices that’s over hdmi into your avr or your tv, but it’s not bit perfect as it delivers all tracks at the max resolution the device they’re plugged into despite what it says in the Amazon Music app. For example, when plugged into my Linn MDSM/4, it showed 24/192 no matter what the fire tv cube/stick said it was playing at.

Last edited:

telemike

Ok, WIIM finally responded about DEEZER

We'd like to give you a bit background on our support of Deezer and current status. We (at LinkPlay) supported Deezer in our streaming platform starting from year 2017 and there're many existing users who are using this service daily. IMO, it's not appropriate to disable it suddenly in our product and platform considering the existing user base.
The current issue started from early this year and affected a small percentage of our Deezer's user. We have worked with our API provider trying to fix this issue with the new API. We have finished the integration however our partner needs do more traffic tests on their API. Thus, we missed our original delivery schedule. We'll do our best to deliver it earlier.
At WiiM, we valued our user experience as our highest priority in our every day work and felt the same pain with our affected users. Our apologies for the inconvenience caused. We also valued the transparency most and we'll definitely keep you posted when there's new update. Thank you!

Yeah, with fire tv devices that’s over hdmi into your avr or your tv, but it’s not bit perfect as it delivers all tracks at the max resolution the device they’re plugged into despite what it says in the Amazon Music app. For example, when plugged into my Linn MDSM/4, it showed 24/192 no matter what the fire tv cube/stick said it was playing at.
A DSP transcode to such a high rate ought to be near perfect. Others have reported very high quality Amazon Music HD. The problem with sticks are:
1. You need a good HDMI audio extractor but the Amazon Basics unit (<$10) has been reported to work well.
2. You need a TV or HDMI monitor to display menus etc. Well reviewed small monitors are hard to find.
3. I don't like the Fire stick UI. Personal preference, I know, but I prefer Roku.

Top Bottom