• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 6.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 193 24.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 524 65.3%

• Total voters

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
... how do you know this?
df304ea57463f1bfb490e9e4a3b4b04ec57957a2-824x550.png

Do a search for the product and look for this:

1651653518390.png

nawfal07

I’ve stopped buying single items from AliExpress years ago. I can get audio stuffs (and other stuffs) a lot cheaper and faster elsewhere.

DudleyDuoflush

Forum Donor
I voted this a great product but wouldn't buy it until I'm certain Topping have improved their overall quality. It's the boring part of product design and development but is absolutely necessary if Topping want to play in this price band. The PA5 may be worth a punt but in this price band I'm looking for proven reliability. Hopefully this will prove to be the case with the LA90.

jjmanda

I voted this a great product but wouldn't buy it until I'm certain Topping have improved their overall quality. It's the boring part of product design and development but is absolutely necessary if Topping want to play in this price band. The PA5 may be worth a punt but in this price band I'm looking for proven reliability. Hopefully this will prove to be the case with the LA90.
I knew the risk when I purchased it and was willing to take it. I bought 2 Topping products prior to this one and was satisfied with both.

If the LA90 worked out and had no operational issues, fine.
If not, I return it, which I will.

Don't know if mine was 1 in 1,000 that got past QC or if it is 1 in 10. Too early to tell and only Topping would probably know the true failure rate and I think that would take more than a week of sales to determine that.

I believe your post to be completely valid by the way.

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
That’s disappointing to hear, I was thinking of buying the aluminium remote for the same reason.

But since you have it, can you confirm that it is screwed together and relatively easy to open (unlike the plastic one which is hard to open without damage)? If that’s the case one should be able to mod it, like replace the IR LED with a better one, or reduce the series resistance to increase the output. Depends on how it’s driven I suppose.
I have a D30pro with the very bad topping remote response (plastic one that came with the dac).

I can confirm that the remote itself works perfectly well with a flirc receptor, so i suspect the issue comes from the receptor, not the remote.

(sorry for off-topic)

audiofun

zivxHE1.gif

20% off might help. ;)

In fairness though this is one channel of sale... there are many many others so unsure if this is really reflective.

JSmith
In fairness --- 1) AliExpress is still very popular. Other channels should more or less be the same. 2) For apple to apple comparison, you can compare other similar speaker amplifier product on AliExpress with it. Loxjie a30 for instance, sold more than 700 units. that's almost 10x more than topping's other failed product, Topping PA5.

For now LA90 is a completely failed commercial product. demand is so low.

nawfal07

It’s out for a week already considered a failure lol.

JSmith

Master Contributor
In fairness
I think you misunderstand what this means if you're going to apply it the way you have.

It's been a week and we have absolutely no idea at all of sales figures apart from one channel of sale... tbh I haven't used Ali Express in years. If I decided to purchase this amp, it would be direct from Shenzhen Audio, same via Amazon or a local reputable seller. Ali Express can be quite hit and miss with copied products rife.

JSmith

Enkay25

In fairness --- 1) AliExpress is still very popular. Other channels should more or less be the same. 2) For apple to apple comparison, you can compare other similar speaker amplifier product on AliExpress with it. Loxjie a30 for instance, sold more than 700 units. that's almost 10x more than topping's other failed product, Topping PA5.

Topping marketing completely botched up the pricing. LA90 should have been priced $400-500 range. The SINAD 120 should have been something to build upon. And again I feel if a PA90 is in works, it should be <$600 mono blocks.

That’s my opinion. This way topping continue with the disruptions. (Just continuing for a wishful thinking…..so younger generations take up to this hobby : price/performance)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I appears it isn't for sale on Amazon...yet. Hold off on claiming no one will buy this amp until it's for sale there.

tomchris

I was hoping for 100W@8Ohm monoblocks. Nevertheless, can't wait to see the insides of this amp at some point...

tomchris

@staticV3 Sorry, what I meant was 100W@8Ohm (unbridged) monoblocks capable of handling lower impedances down to 2Ohm. I applaud Topping achieving state of the art THD+N, but if I was to consider changing my current setup, I would look for sufficient current capability at lower impedances as well.

My first impression of the image below, was that of a monoblock with the grille at the front:
278272793_5387459277931554_3783192052519080152_n.jpg

Topping monoblock.jpg

Last edited:

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Looking at both Topping and SMSL, all I can tell from the numbers is that, if AliExpress is a large portion of their sales, neither is a viable business. If not, then the sample size on most products is too low to tell anything.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping has lost their appeal for me. They can't even build a decent remote. That tells me a lot about their focus, overall quality and attention to detail. I bought the aluminum Topping remote hoping it would be better but it's the same exact failure in a heavier case. No improvement functionally. What Topping does best is beating SINAD numbers on ASR - but shouldn't we expect more than that SINAD number from a quality brand?

It works out well on ASR for Topping as things like optical to TV connection drop outs and poor remote range are not illuminated in reviews. I can't imagine a Buckeye amp that had an external power supply as big as the case being considered acceptable to anyone? For me, Topping hasn't reached the level of engineering we expect from RME, Benchmark or even Denon. So when I hear LA90 compared to Benchmark it seems laughable.

Until Topping is pushed out of it's "one trick pony SINAD adventure" it will be a side show of geeky SINAD parts. Your view may be different but after using the E30, Pre90 and D90SE that's my take. I simply don't expect quality overall from Topping anymore. So many other companies know how to build well rounded gear without all the hidden issues. I look for those companies to reward with my audio dollars now. I'll never buy/keep another product where I hate to pick up the remote to use it.
I am not sure what your fixation on SINAD is. It’s just a metric for measuring the noise and distortion performance of products.

Instead of focusing on one measurement, look at the entire suite of measurements Amir (and I am sure others) have performed.

Instead of stating Topping is pursuing a “one trick pony SINAD adventure,” you should have perhaps stated “industry leading noise and distortion performance.”

Sheesh.

audiofun

Looking at both Topping and SMSL, all I can tell from the numbers is that, if AliExpress is a large portion of their sales, neither is a viable business. If not, then the sample size on most products is too low to tell anything.
AliExpress's number is not total sales. it's just recent sells.
For example, Topping L30 sold super well on AliExpress. Last time I checked the number was thousands when it was newly released. but now it's just < 100.
For old products, you cannot rely on their recent sell numbers. But LA90 is new so the methodology applies.

You can also check how many total amazon feedback count (ratings and reviews) they got from customers.
It's not accurate --- some product listings may be offline and the reviews were gone.
Not everyone gives feedbacks also. But you get the basic idea on the proportion.
For instance, you can compare how many reviews there are for SMSL SU-9 vs Topping D90SE.
LA90 is available on some countries from Amazon. It was also on US Amazon but was later removed (according to google search cache).
Unfortunately no one reviewed it yet.

dmc

First Impressions of LA90

Application: Near field listening for media production with a Windows PC,
iMac, MOTU AVB audio network and interfaces, Rode Podcaster Pro, and
BlackMagic Mini Extreme ISO video switcher.

Speakers are Martin-Logan LX16s: Sensitivity: 92db @2.83 Volts / meter, spec'd
at 5 ohms, and a Klipsch SPL-100 Class D powered subwoofer, single ended
stereo line in.

Inputs are balanced out from a Rodecaster Pro, a MOTU Ultralite AVB, and an
A90 connected to a D90SE. All the digital audio is 48KHz/24 bit.

The LA-90 arrived via DHL in Lexington, Massachusetts coming from Shenzhen,
China. Ordered Tuesday, shipped Wednesday, received the following Monday.
Your kilometrage will vary.

During shipment the packaging received an attempted perforation, which pierced
the outer plastic wrap and entered the first layer of cardboard but didn't
pass through into the outer box. The amplifier itself lies in a bed of
form-fitted CNC'd foam inside a heavy duty dress box which in turn is
supported by styrofoam blocks at the corners. Those blocks fit neatly in the
outer box's corners, leaving an air gap of a couple of inches around the
inner box. The whole thing is sealed in a heavy waterproof plastic wrap that
is difficult(but not impossible, evidently) to penetrate. The outer box has a
small double-paned plastic window over the serial number label on the inner
box, but the plastic wrap covers it.

First LA90 impressions: very quiet, a little deaf, a little warm, very very
cute, and utterly transparent.

Very quiet: Nothing there between passages. You can tell when a microphone is
shut off in a recording mix by the drop in background noise. There's
absolutely nothing coming from the amplifier to compete with it, no matter
how high the level.

A little deaf: This amplifier expects high input levels, and deals beautifully
with hot (5 Volt!) signals. As the power amplifier for an A90 or direct from
a D90SE it delivers sufficient volume that I really must find my SPL meter.
Fed from the balanced outputs of a Rodecaster, however, it's not possible to
get loud enough to be uncomfortable. If you want loud, you have to give it
loud.

A little warm: The LA90 top surface temperature when doing normal listening
for comprehension rather than immersion runs around 93F (34C). Playing
"Another One Bites the Dust" at maximum tolerable level over and over makes
the amp hot, but you can still hold your hand on it. YMMV.

Very very cute: The front panel design and compact half rack width of this
amplifier's CNC'd aluminum chassis have a minimalist Jobsian design affect.
The front panel seems the kind of quick sketch an industrial designer would
do before figuring out the details - it has a button, a knob, and 3 LEDs. And
ironically, in the configuration I am using, the knob has been disabled, so
all that's left is that one button and 3 LEDs.

The overwhelming impression of the LA90 is transparency. I can now recognize
the slight coloration of each input device, with the A90/D90SE easily the
cleanest.

The LA90 replaced a Class D Parasound Zamp v.3 rated at 60 watts into 4 ohms.
The LA90 has less gain but is definitely capable of being much louder. The
LA90 has no discernible distortion at very high sound levels.

Biggest hassle was extracting a stereo line out for the subwoofer from the
speaker outputs. This is really only necessary if you are using the LA90's
input switch and want the subwoofer to follow that, otherwise there's a
single ended line out available on both the A90 and the D90SE. I had a couple
of single ended resistor divider networks, so I tried using them into an
isolation transformer before the subwoofer, but the sub had considerable hum.
I removed the isolation transformer and made a DC connection instead, and the
hum vanished.(I was concerned about connecting Left and Right minus out
directly to each other, hence the transformer, but it turns out they are
connected inside the LA90 anyway.)

The rear panel is crowded, as the heatsinks take out a couple of centimeters
either side, leaving around 6" by 2U for 6 x XLRs, 4 x binding posts, 1 x 64
VDC @ 4 A, 1 x USB C (firmware upgrade only), and 4 x switches.(Apologies for
the reckless use of measurement units.)

And speaking of 64V, you won't replace the custom Topping power supply at your
local surplus store. It runs slightly warmer than ambient, even when the
amplifier itself is piping hot from too much Freddy Mercury.

I am a retired television systems engineer, with 40 years experience designing
and managing the design of professional television production equipment. I
can recognize a labor of love when I see it, even if I can't hear all the
sound it makes any more (and my hearing never was great at 50 KHz). The
LA90 is not for everyone - the compact form factor drives a few inconveniences
and you won't melt buss bars with it - but someone cared very much about the
design and construction and packaging of this amplifier, it's a lovely device.

cheers,
dmc

Last edited:

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AliExpress's number is not total sales. it's just recent sells.
For example, Topping L30 sold super well on AliExpress. Last time I checked the number was thousands when it was newly released. but now it's just < 100.
For old products, you cannot rely on their recent sell numbers. But LA90 is new so the methodology applies.

You can also check how many total amazon feedback count (ratings and reviews) they got from customers.
It's not accurate --- some product listings may be offline and the reviews were gone.
Not everyone gives feedbacks also. But you get the basic idea on the proportion.
For instance, you can compare how many reviews there are for SMSL SU-9 vs Topping D90SE.
LA90 is available on some countries from Amazon. It was also on US Amazon but was later removed (according to google search cache).
Unfortunately no one reviewed it yet.
Thanks for the info!

Top Bottom