• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cold temp in room damages speakers?

spankjam

Due to a house damage after a flood, my windows popped open and stayed open for 12 hours when it was 4C outside and with a moisture of 80 to 85%.

Do you guys think it might've gnawed on my Amphion One 18s integrity?

This has never happened to me in the past so I'm a bit nervous.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Speakers are typically transported both between factory and distributors as well as to you as a customer without temperature control. And yes, often during winter too. So I suspect they will be perfectly fine. :)

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Due to a house damage after a flood, my windows popped open and stayed open for 12 hours when it was 4C outside and with a moisture of 80 to 85%.

Do you guys think it might've gnawed on my Amphion One 18s integrity?

This has never happened to me in the past so I'm a bit nervous.
If the speakers were in physical contact with water, then I might worry. Since they did not reach freezing, it should be okay as long as the they are allowed to return to normal levels of humidity before testing.

Trell

Major Contributor
I think the most important thing is to transition them back to their intended environment without being too aggressive about it, i.e. don't try to "dry them" near a radiator or some such.

So no hair dryer then? Asking for a friend.

buzwork

For every 20f decrease in temperature relative humidity doubles. You'll see this, for example, as moisture on the inside of your vehicle's windshield when it's cold but not quite freezing. The primary concern here is moisture freezing and then thawing. For paper cones and rubber surrounds this can cause damage, plain and simple. A single occurrence is probably not going to ruin them but I've seen where folks leave speakers or other gear in garages or storage facilities that aren't temperature controlled leading to damage and even rust over the long run.

OP
S

spankjam

For every 20f decrease in temperature relative humidity doubles. You'll see this, for example, as moisture on the inside of your vehicle's windshield when it's cold but not quite freezing. The primary concern here is moisture freezing and then thawing. For paper cones and rubber surrounds this can cause damage, plain and simple. A single occurrence is probably not going to ruin them but I've seen where folks leave speakers or other gear in garages or storage facilities that aren't temperature controlled leading to damage and even rust over the long run.
I'd just hate it to have ruined my new Amphions through this accident. Outside temperature was 4 degrees Celsius with 87% moisture and the speakers were on the opposite side of my home studio 2.5 - 3 meters away from it. I was just shocked how cold the room was and got scared.

There are also plastic bags over my speakers loosely pulled for temporary dust protection.

I'd just hate to have damaged my speakers, even by the smallest bit.

Trell

Major Contributor
I'd just hate it to have ruined my new Amphions through this accident. Outside temperature was 4 degrees Celsius with 87% moisture and the speakers were on the opposite side of my home studio 2.5 - 3 meters away from it. I was just shocked how cold the room was and got scared.

There are also plastic bags over my speakers loosely pulled for temporary dust protection.

It’s too early to conclude that you’ve damaged them, unless you’ve tested them.

Before testing I would let them be in room temperature so that any moisture from condensing is gone.

2ndHarm

I've owned several Mackie PA speakers and monitors over the years. The manuals speak about using them in cold conditions (think outdoor concerts). They recommend warming them up slowly at lower volumes for 15-20 minutes before going to higher power to prevent damage to the speaker surrounds.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

They will be fine. Very quick changes in temperature may cause condensation that in turn may damage electronics when turned on. That's about the only way you will cause damage by an incident like this. The condensation will go away when allowed to stay at room temperature for a while.

Lopsided

Forum Donor
Amir and a member once put a Neumann into fridge overnight and it recovered completely when temperature went back. Consider the voice coil may temporarily go over 100C when playing, and car speakers must endure both temperature extreme, uv radiation, vibration, door slams and humidity, I’d say yours are unfazed by a incident like this. I was once very concerned by damaging my 8030C by playing loud :D But their journey from Finland may have triggered more anxiety if I knew about it. Cold climate, humid sea vapor and rough handling all the way…. Yet they played like champ whenever I power them on.

Last edited:
OP
S

spankjam

They will be fine. Very quick changes in temperature may cause condensation that in turn may damage electronics when turned on. That's about the only way you will cause damage by an incident like this. The condensation will go away when allowed to stay at room temperature for a while.
I put a radiator in the room but because I had to warm the room up because i returned at night and my house heating wouldn't turn on until the next morning. I suppose that's fine?

Top Bottom