• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Tangband

Major Contributor
Hats off :)

This will be the gamechanger we all been waiting for, and for other manufacturer to copy.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
26f80589a7d3480b517abb2a14fbe0f5.jpg
Looks impressive especially if you add the L50 but, for me it's the D10B. The D10B has hardware volume control.

YSC

Major Contributor
seems like good for small desktop speakers, but the power would likely be too low for other low sensitivity passives?

F1308

Major Contributor
Topping, please, now that you have landed second place on the amplifier chart, kindly help the poor and lower the user spending price on the system by avoiding any interconnects, removing part of the case as well as one power brick by means of selling DAC/AMP in a single box. Thank you.
Topping Twin could be a good name...
I offer you my Copyleft.
TT30...TT50...TT70...TT90....

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@amirm Great review. :)

The channel balance on the 5W test is remarkable for an analog pot. Clearly Topping selected a particularly good pot or they just got lucky...

So at that point, you were injecting 500mV into the unit. Did you try any other volume pot positions for testing channel balance like you do with headphone amps? It may be a good addition to "integrated" amps going forward.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
seems like good for small desktop speakers, but the power would likely be too low for other low sensitivity passives?
Average sensitivity (84-87 Db 1w@1m) speakers at 8' or so, probably fine. 15' at concert levels, probably not, unless they are high passed and a powered sub is used. Somewhere there is a calculator for this but I don't have the link.

Last edited:

martijn86

Hold me... I... This is such a kick in the belly of the entire industry! I mean Benchmark, Purifi, Hypex... They're all brilliant. But at 350 and the size of a DAC this is just next level! Two of these for bi-amping? Sure. One plus an L50 for your TV? No problem. Upgrade your AVR's amplifier section? Yes please. Next audio show, bring binoculars to find the equipment.

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor

The channel balance on the 5W test is remarkable for an analog pot. Clearly Topping selected a particularly good pot or they just got lucky...

So at that point, you were injecting 500mV into the unit. Did you try any other volume pot positions for testing channel balance like you do with headphone amps? It may be a good addition to "integrated" amps going forward.
Maybe they used an analog chip for that , and the pot is just a regulator ?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
OK so please let me do it myself

from the THD+N vs. level at different frequencies
View attachment 168548

this is the derived THD+N vs. frequency at 20W/4ohm
View attachment 168549

It is definitely not bad but not in line with low noise and 1kHz distortion results. It indicates to worsening of linearity with frequency. I do not agree that distortion rise with frequency is to be "normal".

Your graph is optimistic- it will be worse in reality. The 10kHz and 15kHz AP plots are limited in harmonics due to the 45kHz measurement bandwidth. But it appears pretty decent for a Class D doesn't it?

Trokox

I do not want to exaggerate but this is a great day for the entire audiophile community, we already knew that it would measure well but we waited for Amir's review to make it official, getting this performance for a $ 350 amplifier is really impressive, Topping has taken their amplifiers to the same level of your dac and that's saying a lot. Congratulations Topping

pma

Major Contributor

Like 4V input because there is a balanced TRS in, right? And 4V is now a standard at DAC without volume control output.

Top Bottom