• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Before someone starts complaining that this is not a "real" amplifier as it does not have enough power at 50w into 8 ohms and 80w into 4 ohms, I'd just like to point out a few things:
  • For almost any office or other near/mid field listening, this is plenty of power even for inefficient speakers.
  • If used with speakers with high but not extreme sensitivity of 89 dB SPL / 1W@1m, it will be the equivalent of a 200/320 watt amp when used with low sensitivity speakers of 83 dB SPL / 1W@1m.
  • Similarly, if used at a listening distance of 6', this will be the equivalent of a 200/320 watt amp when used at a distance of 12' to the speakers. Living rooms in many parts of the world are a lot smaller than those in America. This will be fine in them.
  • Even in a typically sized living room for someone in America who would be likely to consider an amp in this price range, this will be plenty of power for average sensitivity stand mount speakers being used with a subwoofer.
  • It has a decent amount of reserve power for peaks, similar to class AB amps, and it has no problem controlling the moderately difficult to drive Infinity R153s.
If you need a phono input or multiple RCA inputs, this probably is not the amp for you unless you are willing to use a preamp.

While it is totally unnecessary for desktop use, with such low noise and low distortion even at low power, I can't help wishing this came with a remote. However, that might push the cost up another $25-$50.

I have the same question as you!
Yes, this would be great for the JBL Stage A130, in my opinion, although I personally might be inclined to go with a somewhat less expensive amp and somewhat better speakers (Wharfedale Diamond 12.1, maybe?) for the same price.

Hope they’ll get rid of the red volume knob on their future black products.
That is my favorite feature, appearance-wise!

Last edited:

Noob

Thank you so much Amir for the review. This is a very important project for me and I'm so glad the hard work paid off.
26f80589a7d3480b517abb2a14fbe0f5.jpg
Who ever is in charge of the aesthetic design of topping products is doing very well. This looks so nice! and it is small enough that you can even put it in a small cabinet away from sight.

pma

Major Contributor
Nice results! The only thing I am not happy with is the distortion rise with frequency, especially at higher power. This would be more clear in a standard THD+N plot vs frequency at say 20W. Yes I can read it from THD+N plots vs amplitude at different frequencies but THD+N vs frequency is a standard measurement. Also standard is CCIF IMD 19+20kHz at say 1/4 of max power, as it clearly shows HF nonlinearity. Is there a reason why it is not tested at ASR, @amirm ?

Last edited:

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sensitivity is 2.6 so if I understand correctly I probably shouldn't try it with my Denon x3700h?

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wow... well done Topping @JohnYang1997, this appears to be exceptional measurements wise for this sized amp. Trying to stop myself from adding to cart and hitting buy right now. Cheers for the review @amirm. :cool:

JSmith
Too late for me, already clicked buy. :)
... where do we go from here?
Imo, higher power models to satisfy everyone, which will probably also have more features.

It'd be neato burrito if there was a Topping competitor to an interface like the Motu though that might require a lot of work.
Thank you so much Amir for the review. This is a very important project for me and I'm so glad the hard work paid off.
Congrats! So happy I waited around for options and stumbled upon this product before I decided to put the system together.

THAT SINAD THO
THAT NOISE FLOOR THO
THAT LOW PRICE THO

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Still no comments from "all amp sound same, all dac sound same, measurements don't matter" brigade ? :p
I think the 48W8R and 83W4R with such good test specs in such a compact attractive case and the sensibility of it all overshadows anything about that stuff. :D These will be a very big seller.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The size ratio of amp vs. power supply looks a bit crazy :).

Considering power supply, is this combination of 38V 4A used also with some other electronics, or is it unusual rating specific to this amp?
To nitpick a bit, I don't see efficiency numbers at Topping power bricks, is it not compulsory at least for EU market?

PS: all you folks screaming for teardown two seconds after review, I know you don't mean it, but it sometimes seems like Topping/John is some DIY/opensource buddy from your neighborhood without will/right for at least some amount of intellectual property.. should't he publish all the technical documentation right now for us and Topping rivals? :facepalm: :)

F1308

Major Contributor
The performance matches all production units or this one was faulty ?

Top Bottom