• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fantastic performance from any amp, let alone with this size and price. I'm tempted to finally bi-amp my speakers, using this for the tweeters. What are the pros and cons of using this amp for that purpose? Is there really any benefit? I noted in the SINAD v Frequency, the higher frequencies have the worst figures. But not sure how that would compare to my big Class AB amp currently serving full-range duty.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wowowow.
internet-wow.gif

TheWalkman

Amir,

Just when I was happy with my setup, you go and post a review like this. Uuurrrrgh!

I may need to take up golf: it’s certainly cheaper than following ASR.

The good news: at least this Topping amp could keep me from doing something crazy like buying a Benchmark amp or Genelec speakers.

Seriously, combine this amp with a pair of Elac DBR62 Reference speakers along with a Topping E50 DAC and a RaspPi streamer and you have a true, audiophile level, world class system that would be an endgame system for most reasonable people. Total price: less than a thousand bucks. Simply amazing.

BTW, open this little black box, please, so we can see how and where the magic happens.

Last edited:

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
TRS inputs??? You have got to be kidding. I would be in the market for this it it had RCA inputs and no volume control.
Adapters and cable terminated appropriately are very inexpensive. What is the issue here?
Plus the inputs are balanced.
Being a desktop amp it is not really intended to go naked without volume controls.

Last edited:

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Amirm,

Just when I was happy with my setup, you go and post a review like this. Uuurrrrgh!

I may need to take up golf: it’s certainly cheaper than following ASR.

The good news: at least this Topping amp would keep me from doing something crazy like buying a Benchmark amp or Genelec speakers.

Seriously, combine this amp with a pair of Elac DBR62 Reference speakers along with a Topping E50 DAC and a RaspPi streamer and you have a true, audiophile level, world class system that would be an endgame system for most reasonable people. Total price: less than a thousand bucks. Simply amazing.

BTW, Open this little black box please, so we can see how and where the magic happens.
Not disagreeing per-say, just noting the DBR62 is somewhat power hungry and this amp will run out of power playing loudly in rooms larger than small-medium. That said your suggested system, or one with any number of decent speakers under a grand would likely be a great starter set or even a end game for many easily satisfied folks.
The JBl 530's are $250 right now and the Polk R series is on sale. Even the KEF Q line (Q350)might be a good fit for some.
I'd prolly want a subwoofer with all of these

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Am I right in thinking this is comparable power wise to the hypex NC122MP, but with lower noise/distortion and cheaper price point?

Looking for a replacement for UcD180 amps for the tweeters on my Lx521 setup.

Just ordered an Ex5 for my studio monitors, love Topping for bang for buck products!

Top Bottom