• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Array 880 Review (Center Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 84 44.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 69 36.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 11 5.8%

• Total voters

JRS

Major Contributor
I have to wonder if things would be as bad when listened to a 3 channel front, and for good measure off axis. It's not that I can see where it would help, but sometimes things get counterintuitive and a solid L+R in the center might improve matters if one is 15-30 degrees off axis. I really don't know as I've never actually owned a HT system. Just saying at times one needs to test in proper context, and in this case that would be an array.

(Even I know that center channels are horribly compromised for logistics, and this likely is no exception).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I know. Did they come off when Amir reviewed the machine?
Yes. To carry it to my measurement stand and back, I had to take the reels off. I could put them back on but have two blank tapes now to test so need to lug it back to measure. For this reason I have not put the "beauty" reels on it yet. :)

youngho

The "mid-range" should have crossed much lower frequency to avoid this but maybe that horn can't go that low.
I think they basically recycled the horn from the Array 800, which uses the same crossover frequencies, and added woofers to either side. The 1400 is crossed over lower at 750 Hz.

youngho

The left and right version of Array 880 was used in Harman blind testing when I took the test there. It was the one that sounded the best to me and almost everyone in the room. For that reason, I was anxious to test this speaker. On-axis response of the center version explains again why I liked it so much. Unfortunately as a center speaker, it doesn't deliver the goods beyond on-axis. Otherwise, it is one of the most perfect executions of a speaker in this size I have heard and measured.

I can't recommend the JBL Synthesis Array 880 speaker as a center speaker unless you only care about one seat in which case, it gets one of my highest recommendations.
@amirm , it sounds like you listened to a pair of 880s in stereo when you took a blind listening test at Harman? I thought you listened to the Array 1400s, which use the same two compression drivers but in a larger horn. What you describe is interesting, since some ASR members (@tuga ?) seem to criticize Harman's setup for favoring wide dispersion loudspeakers.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had two of these. Made in USA vintage.

Two issues
1) they are really really big.
2) the rubber soft touch surfaces end up getting sticky.

It does show why the Array 1400 is competitive against the Salon 2 with benefit of horn design.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Damn, this is a tough one to rate. The spinorama looks pretty good, especially when you consider the extremely high resolution(little smoothing) and 1200 measurement points. Lots of little jaggies, but I think that's a product of the measurement point count and lack of smoothing. With a more typical 800 measurement count and lower resolution, I think many of those jaggies would disappear(which would also make the speaker score higher). Regardless, I doubt they are audible.

I was ready to give the 4/4, until I saw the horizontal beam width graph. That is (imo) the most important graph when it comes to the performance of center channel speakers, and this speaker fails horribly here. I would have guess that being 3 way would have saved it, but clearly not. What is the reason for a mid crossover that high?

Distortion performance is also excellent. So conflicted on what to rate this speaker. 2/4 or 3/4 most likely. @amirm, what panther would you give it(I don't see one in the picture).

Gatordaddy

Forum Donor
The left and right version of Array 880 was used in Harman blind testing when I took the test there. It was the one that sounded the best to me and almost everyone in the room. For that reason, I was anxious to test this speaker. On-axis response of the center version explains again why I liked it so much. Unfortunately as a center speaker, it doesn't deliver the goods beyond on-axis. Otherwise, it is one of the most perfect executions of a speaker in this size I have heard and measured.

Are these the 800 array speakers? It seems like the 1400 arrays still command a very premium price.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That and those bi-amping terminals the back panel really give off a look like this is a all business speaker. Bi-amping terminals on a center channel speaker is far out there.
My older Polk center has bi amp terminals too.

noel_fs

I had two of these. Made in USA vintage.

Two issues
1) they are really really big.
2) the rubber soft touch surfaces end up getting sticky.

It does show why the Array 1400 is competitive against the Salon 2 with benefit of horn design.
from my exprience rubber surfaces get sticky from cleaning using products that arent meant for rubber

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A person would require a pretty snazzy system to be bi-amping the center channel. :D
That's what I thought when I saw them too- who would bother to bi amp a center??

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's what I thought when I saw them too- who would bother to bi amp a center??
I dunno but think of all the speakers in a surround sound system being bi-amp'd...lol... They would need a 3 tonne+ capacity air conditioner to suck the heat out of the place. I think the bi-amp terminals are a bit too optimistic.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I voted headless because of the broken limited dispersion. It's a critical feature for a center channel and shouldn't be sacrificed. Seems like MTM design needs to be pushed out of favor as it's so flawed. Maybe more headless panthers will influence speaker manufacturers to build a center with wide dispersion as a key feature.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What could fix the horizontal beam width issue?
Flip it on its side, and you have very even horizontal directivity. This is once’s more a great example of how not to build a center speaker. You can’t just take a well working MTM and lay it on it’s side. It never works…

What is strange though that most of the directivity problems come from the two woofers, and less so from the narrow horn. Possibly the angling of the woofers plays a part in that.

Tks

Major Contributor
I know lots of folks hate how the beam width is basically unusable for almost all use cases. But at least there is a configuration that allows the speaker to work quite well. Though it’s too much cost for a center channel if you’re not single and friendless. Not sure how that could have slipped.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For those who didn't vote headless panther, why?

1636352262929.png

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Voted "Not Terrible" for this one, I'm with the majority for a change! The narrow directivity of course being the main problem, and I think the dip at 7kHz is not great, nor the lack of bass extension, I'm thinking you wouldn't really want to cross a subwoofer quite that high but I'm not an expert on subwoofers!

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Voted "Not Terrible" for this one, I'm with the majority for a change! The narrow directivity of course being the main problem, and I think the dip at 7kHz is not great, nor the lack of bass extension, I'm thinking you wouldn't really want to cross a subwoofer quite that high but I'm not an expert on subwoofers!
The F3 is perfect for subwoofer integration as it's below 80Hz.

Top Bottom