• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Speaker)

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Came in here to read about measurements of the Metas as I have thought about an upgrade from the original LS50s for quite sometime now, read about crossing over at 200hz with 2 subs. Dayuuuuuuuum, looks like I need to rethink my upgrade choices. Any speaker that needs to be crossed over at 200khz with 2 subs at volume is not a speaker which I would actually go for.

Maybe you see @amirm video first?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...50-meta-review-bookshelf-speaker-video.25611/

That thought was just if you like to get louder. There is just no small speaker that can do this well.

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Watched Amir's vid, but the thought of adding 2 subs and crossing over at 200khz will freak most people out, including me. If that has to done to fulfil anyone's criteria, then it wont be the right speaker for that person to begin with.
It's a desktop speaker. Why do you want to use the kef over 1m-1,5 m ?

200kHz it's not useful with the ear stopped at 20 kHz.

MarkWinston

It's a desktop speaker. Why do you want to use the kef over 1m-1,5 m ?

200kHz it's not useful with the ear stopped at 20 kHz.
I wouldnt really call the Metas a desktop speaker, floormounts is what I think of them. Why do I want to use the KEFs over 1m? As far as I know these are not nearfield speakers, was never meant to be.
Could be used as one, but wasnt in the design brief. I find sitting 2.5 meters - 3 meters away from the original LS50 in my 9.5 meter x 6.5 meter perfect.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks for the answer.
Regarding the Kef uni-q drive unit:
I looked in erins audio corner where he tested one of the uni-q drivers, Kef q100, with the cone at + 3 mm, 0 and - 3mm, with the help of a battery for the bass unit.

This simulates a variable waveguide for the centre mounted tweeter, such as you will have when you play loud bass frequencys in music .
The difference in frequency response is big . Over 8 dB difference at 7,5 khz .
When the cone moves, it will modulate the tweeter response.

Maybe thats the biggest drawback to have a tweeter mounted in the middle of a bass-unit, playing fullrange?
And maybe that will have some effect on the perceived sound quality ?
In this case, I notice the woofer distorting, not the tweeter. Excursion is its enemy more than it is for the tweeter.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Watched Amir's vid, but the thought of adding 2 subs and crossing over at 200khz will freak most people out, including me. If that has to done to fulfil anyone's criteria, then it wont be the right speaker for that person to begin with.
As I said in the video, for many the speakers as is will be just fine. There is enough bass there, and it plays loud enough to be fine. If you need it louder, then I would just add a sub and roll it off at 80 Hz. Then use EQ to deal with room modes which will be accentuated more.

D

Deleted member 22141

I would love to hear Amir's impression of the LS50M + the mini sub KC62. For med-small listening spaces typical of urban apartments or most UK/EU living rooms (which are a lot smaller than US ones) they make a very nice combo I think, just comfortably giving you the extra 10-20dB of volume if you want it.

And that exact driver with an extra woofer in an R3 Meta is probably going to be a giant killer. I think there are signs that the R series is getting a refresh soon.

Olius

MarkWinston

If you like loud distortion free bass, no 5inch will do this.

Expected. But there are 5 inchers that can play LOUD with way less distortion. The JBL A130 is a fine example. And yes, all floormounts need a sub regardless.

mononoaware

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Expected. But there are 5 inchers that can play LOUD with way less distortion. The JBL A130 is a fine example. And yes, all floormounts need a sub regardless.

Did not look at the data of the jbl130. They are both so far away from a loud deep bass that for me the differences are marginal.

MarkWinston

Did not look at the data of the jbl130. They are both so far away from a loud deep bass that for me the differences are marginal.
Like I said, its about distortion here. The lack of deep bass is inevitable in all floormounts. A sub or 2 is needed for to cover the full spectrum but crossing over at 200hz is just kind of over the top. If it needs to be crossed over at 200hz, you obviously have the wrong speaker for your needs. Get a floorstander that can go down to 20hz -25hz in room.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Like I said, its about distortion here. The lack of deep bass is inevitable in all floormounts. A sub or 2 is needed for to cover the full spectrum but crossing over at 200hz is just kind of over the top. If it needs to be crossed over at 200hz, you obviously have the wrong speaker for your needs. Get a floorstander that can go down to 20hz -25hz in room.

Sure you can ask, why then not get a floorstander from the beginning?

Many possible answers.

SS55

@amirm Do you think it's worth the extra money to upgrade from OG LS50 to Meta? I brought the old version 8 months ago at a discounted price and now the dealer has agreed to exchange the old with meta for $800
I'm satisfied with the performance of my speakers, But I'm confused If the performance of the meta is worth paying extra $800.
Also do you think I should use EQ to fix the current speakers peaks and dips?
Thanks for the measurements and review.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm Do you think it's worth the extra money to upgrade from OG LS50 to Meta? I brought the old version 8 months ago at a discounted price and now the dealer has agreed to exchange the old with meta for $800
I'm satisfied with the performance of my speakers, But I'm confused If the performance of the meta is worth paying extra $800.

If you're exchanging then exchange for the R3, it is superior to both LS50.

SS55

If you're exchanging then exchange for the R3, it is superior to both LS50.
R3 is out of stock and even if it was available it's price is in a different league in my country unfortunately.

Eetu

Forum Donor
Yeah probably not worth it. But definitely EQ! Use these settings for the og LS50 (by Maiky76):

Score after Optimization: 6.36

Type Freq Gain Q
PEQ 65.0, 3.00, 1.78,...
PEQ 166.5, -2.10, 0.88,...
PEQ 550.0, 1.40, 3.72,...
PEQ 830.0, -2.40, 1.83,...
PEQ 1224.0, -1.34, 9.45,...
PEQ 1609.0, 2.11, 2.65,...
PEQ 2764.0, -2.80, 1.35,...
PEQ 4747.0, -3.40, 3.00,...

(+ additional room correction for bass frequencies as well if you have a measurement mic)

Maybe get a sub instead if you don't have one yet?

BTW the Meta seems to have slightly wider directivity than the R3, true point source, smaller, arguably better looking, not as expensive. If you have a sub and/or don't need high SPL I'd argue it's the better option for most people.

Top Bottom