• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIYSG HTM-12v1 Speaker Review

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Drivers chosen for this kit are very good but nobody counted on factory tolerance for compression drivers.

Measurements are as good as the one making them. That's why i've been insisting on less than 40dB grid height (i present my data with 20-25dB grid height) and gated response with at least 4ms time window.

As somebody wrote earlier - this project needs more elaborate passive crossover or DSP correction. When we make the habit of uploading our raw measurement data for anyone to be able to design a crossover, you'll see the evolution of passive networks quite fast.

Is it flat ? No.
Can it be made flat ? Without a doubt.
Is it easy ? Of course not.

Look at those distortion graphs at 102dB/1m. Talking about the headroom. Directivity is superb. Somebody mentioned that Klipsch Heresy should be like this. I'd add JBL 4349 on that list.

Last edited:

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
Most speakers of this type aren't remotely flat
PA speakers typically aren't flat, but these were definitely intended to be flat.

Erin said:
bro!? Are you saying I’m not as strong as I think I am!? All that protein powder, wasted! :p
I think they use a light variety of MDF in their kits, though I've not looked up just how much lighter they are than the low grade stuff they carry at the big box stores. The protein powder just meant you're getting ready to measure that new Danley speaker...right?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12642

They're actually deceptively light. Or maybe it's just cause I'm so darn strong. :D (Kidding)

Mine has a lot extra hardware on them like steel grills that cover the whole face plate, handles, pole mounts, it really adds up. I did use birch play though instead of MDF.

Er, I mean, I guess you just don't know your own strength!

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Just an update.

And I've decided that since I am now going to be testing the v2, I will not bother making a video for the v1 review because it would be outdated and eclipsed by the v2 review. No sense in wasting my time making two videos when the second one will be what really matters. :)

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
v2 testing is now complete. Good news is the v2 is a noticeable step up. However, it loses a few dB of sensitivity without gaining any LF extension.

Not sure when I'll have the review up but it's coming.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
v2 testing is now complete. Good news is the v2 is a noticeable step up. However, it loses a few dB of sensitivity without gaining any LF extension.

Not sure when I'll have the review up but it's coming.
We need more than that. Is it OMG good or?

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
We need more than that. Is it OMG good or?

giphy.gif

yourmando

Just an update.

And I've decided that since I am now going to be testing the v2, I will not bother making a video for the v1 review because it would be outdated and eclipsed by the v2 review. No sense in wasting my time making two videos when the second one will be what really matters. :)
Thanks for testing this, and I look forward to the v2 review!

I strongly considered the HTM-12 for a while but ultimately decided against because there weren’t measurements I felt I could trust

TBH, I was also worried about the health of the business.

I *love* the idea of affordable DIY kits, but nothing is ever in stock and there are constant delays. I followed the forum and updates for months.

My humble suggestion would be to raise the prices as needed to keep items in stock, keep customer service humming at a high level, get believable test data (which @hardisj is now providing free!), etc.

That said, I’d still like to buy some for tinkering at some point, for a spare room or something.

These seem like a great candidate to be paired with good digital crossover + room correction software like Audiolense. Just skip the passive x/o unless the new one is *much* smoother. I myself was planning on using my HTP-1 for PEQ, which has 16 bands available per channel. So using @Maiky76’s eq plus a DSP platform with plenty slots is another option. I felt lazy so I just got some tried and true Neumann KH 310s.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Honestly, I'd imagine would could probably use the Crown XLS Drivecore 2 series of amplifiers on these amps and use the built-in crossover option for the crosover. It's an active seaker at that point. If I had time to devote to digging in to a project like this I could come up with some suggestions but alas, I don't have that kind of time with all the other things I have going on and other items I have on deck to review/measure.

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
Honestly, I'd imagine would could probably use the Crown XLS Drivecore 2 series of amplifiers on these amps and use the built-in crossover option for the crosover. It's an active seaker at that point. If I had time to devote to digging in to a project like this I could come up with some suggestions but alas, I don't have that kind of time with all the other things I have going on and other items I have on deck to review/measure.
It would be great, but each of these amps cost as much as one of the speakers. Worth it?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
However, it loses a few dB of sensitivity without gaining any LF extension.
I mentioned the original specs, but as a comparison:

Original
+/- 3dB 55Hz-20kHz
97dB
8ohm
1400Hz crossover

V2
+/-3dB 55Hz-20kHz
96dB
8ohm
1250Hz crossover

I measured 94.1dB sensitivity (300Hz-3000Hz) on the original, so is the V2 lower than that too (but more linear)?

I assume the spec sensitivity is using 1kHz, as that is about 97dB on the original.

Top Bottom