• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA Deep Dive - I published music on tidal to test MQA

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
From what I read, Jay-Z will join SQUARE’S BOD’s and retains executive director control, other star name owners remain as minority shareholders. So only time will tell if this will effectively change how Tidal operates.

Article link: https://www.theguardian.com/busines...usic-streaming-service-to-jack-dorseys-square
Tidal the same as it ever was,now some people had a problem with who used to own it,maybe because they didn't like the owner,don't subscribe plenty of other streaming services,I don't like Apple products but I don't bad mouth them either,as far as MQA it's fine with me so is Amazon HD,if I like an artist I'll buy their product not just stream it,everything I like I own it in physical form.Artist have to eat too.Almost forgot we going to pay for this music with them NFT's

Oukkidoukki

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Btw. I noticed with gobuz that my old ipad needs to load little bit longer vs tidal, when pushing play.....which indicates that files are larger than in tidal.....it also needs good internet.........all this is ok, cause sound quality is the most important part ....larger file=higher quality.....with new phone everything is really smooth and fast.......all good so far..

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Btw. I noticed with gobuz that my old ipad needs to load little bit longer vs tidal, when pushing play.....which indicates that files are larger than in tidal.....it also needs good internet.........all this is ok, cause sound quality is the most important part ....larger file=higher quality.....with new phone everything is really smooth and fast.......all good so far..
larger file=higher quality,not necessarily you can get a good mp3 that's recorded well that better than a hires file.

SKBubba

"Jack" (are you pals on a fist name basis?) is a rent seeker, too. He will look at the bottom line. If Tidal is paying MQA, directly or indirectly*, and especially if recent defections to Qobuz, Deezer, and Amazon HD show up in the numbers, he will drop MQA like a hot potato. And all will be right in the music world.

(*Actually, MQA should be paying Tidal. Maybe they are. That would explain a lot.)

Red@

This is a false claim, that is bordering on hypocrisy, seeing as how GoldenOne's channel is one that of mostly subjectivist leaning. He recomends things like the M-Scaler which is basically laughed at here not due to the technical ability with it's one mill taps, but because it's largely seen as completely pointless, and at ridiculous cost if you pair it properly with the Dave.

Second, poor understanding of how MQA works? Everyone has poor understanding of how it works, because it's closed source nonsense, and whatever could be extrapolated only points to that nonsensical direction as presumed. No amount of Bob's discussion on how he approaches how mics and ADC's used in original recording of produced music will have baring on the product offering that MQA is.

Lastly, you've simply asserted claims here about what he did, yet have not demonstrated any of supporting examples how you reached such conclusions about him. The man was creative enough to get passed considerable gating, and basically got MQA to admit their encoder is so garbage, it can't do test tones properly, but somehow we should still trust it works fine for actual music? The sheer lunacy lost on them in not realizing this is more of an argument against their encoder is staggeringly hilarious.

And you want to call someone like this some amateur? Why?
Agreed. the man did an amazing work given the complexity of collecting data regarding MQA.
while his results are not conclusive. they go miles into giving us clear insights.
Post-decoding noise aside, the fact that they didn't take into account (didn't even ask) his encoding methodes before submission goes against their principle of "how the audio engineer intended".
so we know it is not good reproduction.

but I admit it's a good economical choice for "hi-res" streaming as the companies will pay less on compute, storage and telecoms. so in that point of view I understand how it could be worth the trade off for streaming companies.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
"Jack" (are you pals on a fist name basis?) is a rent seeker, too. He will look at the bottom line. If Tidal is paying MQA, directly or indirectly*, and especially if recent defections to Qobuz, Deezer, and Amazon HD show up in the numbers, he will drop MQA like a hot potato. And all will be right in the music world.

(*Actually, MQA should be paying Tidal. Maybe they are. That would explain a lot.)
Not personal friends just platonic,I already applauded GoldenOne on his effort as flawed as it is,but it brings up discussions,you have a choice use it I most certainly do,oh happy Saturday and enjoy your music.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
This is what one writer got from reading MQA marketing hubris. Both did a good job.:facepalm:

It’s called MQA, which stands for Master Quality Authenticated. The engineers go back to the master tapes of a given recording and recode the information digitally in a new way: the information is compressed (as with MP3s) to get it through the Internet, but then magically reopened, like a field of flowers after rain, by a server at the receiving end. In addition, the information is stripped of certain common digital artifacts—it’s de-blurred.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

usersky

Forum Donor
Again, we're getting caught up on analogies and missing the forrest for the trees.
It would be like using this Anime Upscaling application and saying "If it doesn't work for "real" video without artifacts then it's irreparably broken!"
I keep reading the argument and what I notice is while the deniers have narrow horizons, talking about little things like signals, filters, FFT, aliasing, noise. MQA believers on the other hand have a holistic perspective of the triagle geometry, forests, nature, universe, life in general and what not. Joking aside, I just cancelled my Tidal subscription. I just realise I paid months for lossless audio that I didn't get. This forced MQA thing looks to me a lot like a new dawn of dark ages in our hobby, I cannot sponsor such a trend. I only have a device that supports MQA and I also will activelly avoid anything touched by this plague. Happy debate gentlemen, I really enjoy it!

Last edited:

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I keep reading the argument and what I notice is while the deniers have narrow horizons, talking about little things like signals, filters, FFT, aliasing, noise. MQA believers on the other hand have a holistic perspective of the forests, nature, universe, life in general and what not. Joking aside, I just cancelled my Tidal subscription. I just realise I paid months for lossless audio that I didn't get. This forced MQA thing looks to me a lot like a new dawn of dark ages in our hobby, I cannot sponsor such a trend. I only have a device that supports MQA and I also will activelly avoid anything touched by this plague. Happy debate gentlemen, I really enjoy it!
Nobody forced anything on you,you have a choice of who you want to give your money too,people have been debating this for years,this isn't even a scientific study and it has flaws in it.

usersky

Forum Donor
Nobody forced anything on you,you have a choice of who you want to give your money too,people have been debating this for years,this isn't even a scientific study and it has flaws in it.

When I said "forced" I ment the way that Tidal offered trully losless when I subscribed, then changed without notice to lossy MQA abusing my trust and EU laws I am almost sure. I was efectivelly forced into this MQA. Realistically I cannot go on monthly basis and analyse what they stream. Consumers should have rights, right to be informed about what you pay for example. All fixed though.

awdeeoh

I just realise I paid months for lossless audio that I didn't get. This forced MQA thing looks to me a lot like a new dawn of dark ages in our hobby, I cannot sponsor such a trend. I only have a device that supports MQA and I also will activelly avoid anything touched by this plague. Happy debate gentlemen, I really enjoy it!

So you only streamed Warner Music Group's catalogue cause you said you didn't get get lossless audio.

threni

Major Contributor
I'm not even able to figure out how to turn on notifications for this thread other than by replying to someone's comment. Yours seemed the easiest to respond to.

Just click on the Watch button at the top of the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom