• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

For those of you that are around 50 YO and over - do you think about death?

Valhalla

I'm 35 with type 2 diabetes and I don't expect to age beyond 60 or so. so my life expectancy is less than your 80 but I try not to think about it. Life is a short chance between two nothingness, the nothingness before birth and the nothingness after death. I'll try enjoying life as long as I can enjoy listening to music, watching a movie, drinking espresso, or smell a flower so life is worth living.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
this makes no sense to me.
you think about death when driving a car?

yeh, Put on my seatbelt; unless I'm on a narrow road with a bad fall off, then I leave it off so I can jump out quick

5 day ski mtnr'ing - you better have your ducks in a row

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So if the worst that could happen was that you'd break half the bones in your body and be stuck in the wilderness with nothing but bear piss to sustain you for a week before being rescued, you'd take no precautions to avoid that outcome?

what kind of bear?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My post is too long. I should just say, that autonomous cars are already better than drunk drivers, so if that was the only hurdle, then we would have them all on the road now. But having drunk driving as the bar wouldn't be something most citizens, nor regulators as sufficient. Which is why they're still being tested and developed, there's still work to be done, as the expectation is to be better than actual drivers in general, and not just drunk ones.

They don't "need" to do anything Actually, they would need to be better than that, as you can have cars currently that mitigate for drunk driving, but the problem doesn't warrant the current solutions, as it seems currently the costs for adopting self driving cars in a mandatory fashion would cost more than the drunk driving incidents themselves from a pecuniary perspective. For them to be adopted, you would just need to show governments, and insurance companies something along the lines of:

"Less accidents overall" to some appreciable degree for investment made, and for insurance companies, they can be more inventive, because now they can offer insurance for self-driving ON or OFF. Meaning if you don't have a good reason to turn it off, your vehicle won't be insured in the same fashion as if it was engaged. With something like ON, they can go hound the manufacturer if accidents occur, due to potentially a failure of the cars themselves. This in turn would force car companies to build even more reliable systems to where accident rates plummet even further.

If society and governments aren't corrupt, and value something like less car crashes, over something like tax dollars from insurance companies or something of that sort, then I can't think of a valid reason why such a paradigm wouldn't be favorable.

People assume when I talk about mandatory self-driving, that I was saying something like "build cars with ONLY self driving as the possibility", when such a stance is pretty ridiculous. The way it becomes mandatory, is through cultural and economic expectation, but it's not mandatory in some "laws of physics" type of mandatory when I speak about it.

Just think of it as a seatbelt for example. That level of mandatory. If you don't have it on, you better have a good reason for not having it on, as only an imbecile wouldn't opt to use it (the risk of not using one is so skewed, you would be an idiot to risk life, and legal reprimand), or simply the seatbelt itself stopped functioning.

Likewise with self driving.

Now, the most obvious thing that's being left out of this equation, are those people who believe their freedoms are being infringed, freedom to enjoy "the ride". Quite frankly, and without reservation, on public roads, those folks can go fuck off entirely. Get to a track/closed course, and enjoy yourself properly. You're not owed the sort of freedom you assume you're owed when the consequences of adopting such a ridiculous freedom come at the current costs we're paying for now.
In some ways the Tesla is already better than human drivers. In some ways not even as good as drunk drivers. So far the Tesla system with human drivers who more or less pay attention is much safer than human drivers alone.

I think it is similar to optical character recognition software. Ads said 97% accurate. Which in practice isn't nearly enough. Even with them at 99% claimed the number of errors is terribly bothersome. Since cars can be lethal they'll have to be pretty darn good to trust.

Longshan

This afternoon France, Germany and Italy have decided to suspend the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine... 14 countries now...
Denmark was the first country on March 11 to suspend the AstraZeneca vaccine “after reports of serious cases of blood clots” in people vaccinated.
In Austria a 49-year-old nurse died of “serious blood clotting problems” a few days after being vaccinated.

news

You don’t really know what you’re talking about.

nobodynoz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Time remaining

How long?
How much longer ?
Years, days, hours, how many ?
When I think of it,
My heart is beating so hard
My country is life…
How much longer ?
How many ?
I love it so much, the time that remains

I wanna laugh, run, cry, talk,
And see, and believe and drink, dance,
Scream, eat, swim, pounce, disobey,
I haven't finished, I haven't finished
Flying, singing, going, suffer and make love
I love it so much the time that remains

I no longer know where I was born, nor when!
I know that my country is life
I also know what my father used to say:
"Time is like your bread,
Save it for tomorrow "

I still have bread, still have time,
But how much ?
I want to play again,
I want to laugh mountains of laughter,
I want to cry torrents of tears,
I want to drink whole boats of French and Italian wines,
And dance, scream, fly, swim in all the oceans
I haven't finished, I haven't finished!
I want to sing,
I want to speak until the end of my voice
I love it so much the time that remains

How long,
How much longer ?
Years, days, hours, how many ?
I don't care my love
When the orchestra stops I will dance again.
When planes no longer fly, I'll fly on my own

When time stands still
I will love you again
I don't know where
I don't know how
But I will still love you.

Okay ?

Serge Reggiani (2 May 1922 – 23 July 2004) was an Italian-French actor and singer. He was born in Reggio Emilia, Italy and moved to France with his parents at the age of eight.
Translation : I did my best…

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
TBH I’m surprised that this thread hasn’t died yet;)

nobodynoz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was given AZ vaccine a week ago, but I'm still living. 100% safe if you ask me.

About the Sanofi Pasteur (France) and Translate Bio collaboration (USA)
In 2018, Translate Bio entered into a collaboration and exclusive license agreement with Sanofi Pasteur, the vaccines global business unit of Sanofi, to develop mRNA vaccines for up to five infectious disease pathogens. This agreement was first expanded in March 2020 to include the collaborative development of a novel mRNA vaccine for COVID-19. This collaboration brings together Sanofi Pasteur’s leadership in vaccines and Translate Bio’s mRNA research and development expertise. Under the agreement, the companies are jointly conducting research and development activities to advance mRNA vaccines and mRNA vaccine platform development during a research term of at least four years after the original signing in 2018. Translate Bio and Sanofi Pasteur have advanced the preclinical development vaccine programs including screening, optimization and production of mRNA and LNP formulations across multiple targets.

They are actually testing their vaccine for COVID-19 on humans...

Wombat

Master Contributor
Hard to ignore it when you get to the age when those around your own age are popping off. I once asked my mother-in-law, who was of such an age and regularly attending funerals of aged peers, how she coped with it.

She answered, I just think 'glad its not me'. It got her eventually.

Pragmatism.

Last edited:

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Phew, first time carrying your younger cousin's or brother's coffin is something to remember. Lucky to not have a brother...

Wombat

Master Contributor
Been there ......... .

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
I am 60 and lived with arthritis, disabling knee injuries(artrosis) from failed operations ,and immunesystem disorders all my life, including Ulcerous Cholitis and lately suspected Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis (PSC)- untreatable liver disease requiring liver transplant . I never thought of death and expected to live to beyond 90 -( my father is 87 and still do frequent 6hours walks alone in the mountains, My mother is 84 and had a triple bypass at 65 and two artificial hips and one artificial knee, Both live happily in the same old house and enjoy gardening and travel to south of France for some months every year except for the last covid year).)

What made me think again was that I had a heart attack last year, but luckily survived with 4 PCI stents( I was at the hospital 15 minutes after my wife made the emergency call). My body does not tolerate the important anti-cholesterol medicine and I got 3 new stent de-blockings last months. My mothers brother died of a heartattack at 62,.and grandfather at 72.

In addition one of my closest friends got the Alzheimer diagnosis, another died of cancer and another had a similar heart attack as me, all within the last year.

So how long will I last? I do not want to think so much about it , but try to enjoy every moment with my wife, children and grandchildren, but Covid makes it difficult. I have made my work less important to me and do not stress about things.
I started to live more in the moment and call my friends more and have a nice sunday breakfast with my wife every weekend , I also have a small sip of good wine and Whisky. And I got a my self a dream amplifier , Accuphase -A48.

If you are 50 and no history of heart failure in the family I would not think about life expectancy all all. Just do not postpone all the fun to after retirement age...

I never though about death before, I though about it a bit the last year, but have decided to not think about it any more, so I finish here

PS. I feel very lucky to live in a country where all healthcare is free, and get full pay even if I am sick/hospitalized and out of office. So all this sickness had no economic impact or worries. If I die early my family is well taken care of, but I hope to have finished the mortgage before anything happens.

PPS . Forgot to mention that 9 months before the heart attack I suffered from acute paralytic ileus and peritonitis a dangerous infection in the abdomen with 40% survival rate. An emergency operation after pressure from my wife who is a nurse saved my life. Yes life after 58 is not the same as before 58...

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Pragmatism

I remember when my grandmother was about 93, and she was recalling how many of her friends had died in the previous few years, when she wrapped it up with "Well, what do we expect! We're old! Growing old is not for sissies."

She wasn't the first to say it, but it was the first time I had heard it. The older I get, the more I realize the truth in it.

Wombat

Master Contributor
In my younger days I worked with a senior engineer who perused machinery catalogues during the night shift quiet hours. He had his retirement workshop planned for many years and was waiting for retirement to realize it.
Retirement arrived and he set off on the 'obligatory' 'round-the-world' trip only to be hit and killed by a tramcar in a European city.

Live the day.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Covid deaths vs. cancer heart disease.jpg

Top Bottom