• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

For those of you that are around 50 YO and over - do you think about death?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
a week before my 40th I came down for break from sheeting a 2 story + walkout, or throwing sheets of ply 30' off the ground in the days before safety. I had my first grand mall seizure while on break! That experience really gave me a new perspective, helped me overcome fears to try new things and really helped me to let go of the petty stuff in life. For me it was here one second gone the next with nothing in between that freed me from the fear of death, the fear of life at the hands of dr's in hospitals is still alive and well tho'.
I had a similar near death experience. I took amoxicillin and after the first capsule I had a horrible reaction. I was fainting, sweated like a liter+ (quart) in what I think was a short period of time and crawled to the telephone to call 911. As I was on the call to 911 I was passing out and we both thought I was gonna die. So she said goodbye and so did I...lol... The front door had not been locked and I am thankful for that because the fire dept and the ambulance showed up at the same time and apparently according to witnesses they had the ax out and where going to bust the front door to get to me. I was revived, came to my senses, was soaking wet from sweat and there was a large puddle of it on the floor. The paramedics said it was a close call. I felt fine after the situation passed. It really changed my outlook on life. I don't stress about the little things and most of the big things too.

Leporello

I will soon be 59, so practically 60. I cannot say I feel physically old in any way (should lose weight, though). If I'm lucky I will reach 90. Three out of my four grandparents reached at least 90, one of them actually clocked 100 years and 6 days.

Trouble is, I can easily remember when I was 30. It has all gone so quickly. The things I could have done (or could I have?), the roads not taken, usual stuff.

weasels

I suffer from acute depression, so the issue for me is less fear of death and more temptation towards it. Medication helps a lot - I take Lexapro. There are side effects I'd rather do without but it beats the relentless call of the void.

egellings

Major Contributor
The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out, the worms play penuckle n your mouth.

Grumpish

There are only two certainties in life - death, and the taxman - and I have long since given up worrying about either of them.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
The day before death would probably bother me. The day after would probably be much less stressful.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just 59 here and recently retired. Do I think about death? Well, I know (Hope?) I've probably got around 20 years left. And the last 20 have gone in an instant.

So, "Eat Drink and be Merry: For tomorrow we die"

Or
One Life: Live it!

Or
Two certain things in life: Death and Taxes.

I mean, Fuck it. Life is short. It could be tomorrow for every single person. This is why I've taken early retirement. It would PISS me off to work until 67, then drop dead after a few months. I've seen too many people go too young. Serously I would HAUNT people.

It matters not when we die, (it is coming for every single man, woman and child on the planet). It matters how we live before we go. Hold on to that and (yes, I know it's a cliché) live every day as though it is your last.

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My first digit is a 6. Today I lost my best friend from HS that I've known since 1976. 45 years is a long time to go without losing any of your meaningful friends.

I've lost a number of family members including my Dad. All very painful and they took some time from which to recover. Somehow this feels different. Family doesn't select you, but your friends do. The first real, long term friend with whom I created a lasting relationship has departed and I'm acutely aware of my own mortality.

No pity required. Just painfully reminded that all of us have expiration dates. His arrived a little too soon, but it was inevitable, as is mine. Sad now. Sad for my loss; for our loss - we have a large circle of friends (for which I'm deeply grateful). We will mourn, and we will recover, and we will go on.

Pleasure, happiness, joy, and that strong sense of well being created in the presence of grandchildren will return. I will be ok. We will be ok.

And so will you.

Forum Donor
Hhmm, I'll concoct a diy allegory (if that's what it is) ;

Imagine each of us, when born, start out as if we're in our very own bucket being swung around by life itself. Each year our 'string' gets a little longer between us and 'life'. Hang in there with me; you all know that when you swing a bucket around on a string, the longer the string the faster the bucket arcs through space [and time..]. In my livid imagination, by the time we get to 50-ish, we're starting to get quite a bit of string reeled out. Life appears to go at break-neck speed. Our perspective literally changes every year.

We see events as passing at different rates to the young and very young. But each year we have the opportunity to appreciate life a bit more. For me each journey round in the 'bucket of life' is cause to be content and enjoy each fleeting moment (that bucket ride seems to be getting faster all the time). A few more decades and that 'string' and our velocity gets just too much, and we literally reach the end of our tether. ATM I'm too busy grappling with life. However not everyone's experiences in life will afford them my laid back perspective.

Like I said, this is a (badly constructed) diy allegory. I could possibly be much more ignorant than I think I am :)

earlevel

In my younger days I worked with a senior engineer who perused machinery catalogues during the night shift quiet hours. He had his retirement workshop planned for many years and was waiting for retirement to realize it.
Retirement arrived and he set off on the 'obligatory' 'round-the-world' trip only to be hit and killed by a tramcar in a European city.

Live the day.
A friend, and engineer, was nearing retirement age. I think he was 62 at the time, got tired of the constant organizational changes, working for a large Japanese electronics company in the US, he decided to retire. An avid fitness enthusiast, I knew him originally from the gym, and he took long bike rides up the coast on weekends. Extremely fit.

Friday, his last day of work, 5:00 pm comes, it's done. He drives off. 5:15 pm his car stops in an intersection. Massive stroke, he's gone. :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom