• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Recommended Amplifier Power [W]30 - 180 For the Dali Oberon 7. My setup will be 7.2.4.

https://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html
If you use this calculator the Denon 3700 will provide over 100dB SPL with the Dali Oberon7. That's more than is healthy. You could add an amp but the surrounds will be fine on the Denon.

If you want to buy an amp anyway I would consider a high quality stereo amp rather than a 5 channel. My suggestion would be a Purifi based Stereo amp like the March Audio P452 ($1600) or the VTV Purifi ($979).
https://vtvamplifier.com/product/vtv-amplifier-purifi-eigentakt-stereo-amplifier-based-on-eval-1/

The Purifi amp design is high quality and can be used with your front speakers to help provide a powerful system with your Denon 3700. You can also setup one of the Denon Presets with the Audyssey app to be in Preamp mode with "Amp Assign" and just use the Stereo amp for awesome stereo presentation.

Personally, I think a high quality stereo amp with Denon 3700 makes a lot more sense than adding 5 channels externally.

ciotime

https://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html
If you use this calculator the Denon 3700 will provide over 100dB SPL with the Dali Oberon7. That's more than is healthy. You could add an amp but the surrounds will be fine on the Denon.

If you want to buy an amp anyway I would consider a high quality stereo amp rather than a 5 channel. My suggestion would be a Purifi based Stereo amp like the March Audio P452 ($1600) or the VTV Purifi ($979).
https://vtvamplifier.com/product/vtv-amplifier-purifi-eigentakt-stereo-amplifier-based-on-eval-1/

The Purifi amp design is high quality and can be used with your front speakers to help provide a powerful system with your Denon 3700. You can also setup one of the Denon Presets with the Audyssey app to be in Preamp mode with "Amp Assign" and just use the Stereo amp for awesome stereo presentation.

Personally, I think a high quality stereo amp with Denon 3700 makes a lot more sense than adding 5 channels externally.
Actually what I need is only a 3 ch amp since the most important one's are the front's specially the center coz I'm mainly 100% movies. But there aren't that many 3 ch amps around.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually what I need is only a 3 ch amp since the most important one's are the front's specially the center coz I'm mainly 100% movies. But there aren't that many 3 ch amps around.

If you're only using the Denon 3700 for Movies, I would consider the Buckeye 4 channel NC252MP.

Buckeye Amps - NC252MP
- 2x180w @ 2ohm
- 2x250w @ 4ohm
- 2x150w @ 8ohm

4 channel NC252MP, XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $779 shipped
email directly at ([email protected]) for purchases or questions.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...amplifier-builder-line-up-announcement.16835/

I use these cables between my Denon 4700 and the XLR's on the amp.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=301&cp_id=30110&cs_id=3011010&p_id=4777&seq=1&format=2

ciotime

If you're only using the Denon 3700 for Movies, I would consider the Buckeye 4 channel NC252MP.

Buckeye Amps - NC252MP
- 2x180w @ 2ohm
- 2x250w @ 4ohm
- 2x150w @ 8ohm

4 channel NC252MP, XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $779 shipped
email directly at ([email protected]) for purchases or questions.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...amplifier-builder-line-up-announcement.16835/

I use these cables between my Denon 4700 and the XLR's on the amp.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=301&cp_id=30110&cs_id=3011010&p_id=4777&seq=1&format=2
I'll take a look at it though I still have to pay for shipping since I'm based in Asia. Also I'd have to ask them if they make them in 220 Volts which is the rated voltage here.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nord NC500 3 channel amp
Their 2 channel version of this was tested here. Lots of power, which is one of the things I'd be looking for if I were to spend a bunch of money on external amp, since I have serious doubts that the SINAD makes any real difference.

CoolHandDuke

I recently purchased a pair of Ascend Sierra 2-EX bookshelf speakers. They sound fantastic, but like similar speakers, are lower in sensitivity (85dB). I'm considering going the Denon 3700 route with an added external amp. My initial thought was to pair it with the Monolith 2x200. Any other suggestions for external amps? I don't usually push volume above 75-80db, but am looking mostly for additional headroom and lower noise at higher levels. This would be used in a 2.1 setup. I was considering the minidsp SHD, but starting to be concerned about sub integration with a 2 channel version of Dirac.

Last edited:

Bear123

I recently purchased a pair of Ascend Sierra 2-EX bookshelf speakers. They sound fantastic, but like similar speakers, are lower in sensitivity (85dB). I'm considering going the Denon 3700 route with an added external amp. My initial thought was to pair it with the Monolith 2x200. Any other suggestions for external amps? I don't usually push volume above 75-80db, but am looking mostly for additional headroom and lower noise at higher levels. This would be used in a 2.1 setup. I was considering the minidsp SHD, but starting to be concerned about sub integration with a 2 channel version of Dirac.
Is it a 2 channel ONLY system i.e. you will never watch tv or movies? Otherwise I would get the Mono 3 channel as there is hardly any cost difference, and the center is even more important for TV/movies. Not sure if you need more power for 75 dB...what is the actual volume level you are using in terms of reference level. Music only or movies/tv as well? Subs or full range?

CoolHandDuke

Is it a 2 channel ONLY system i.e. you will never watch tv or movies? Otherwise I would get the Mono 3 channel as there is hardly any cost difference, and the center is even more important for TV/movies. Not sure if you need more power for 75 dB...what is the actual volume level you are using in terms of reference level. Music only or movies/tv as well? Subs or full range?
The way my living room is setup, there's a fireplace under the TV. As a result, and because of the wife, I probably will never add a center channel. For now the phantom center of the Sierras does a decent job. It is a 2.1 system. Mains crossed at 80hz with a Hsu VTF-2 Mk5. My priority is music, though it is used for TV and movies as well. I'm unsure of actual levels I listen normally. Usually -10ish on the Denon. Higher on movies. Depends on source. I'm 8 feet away from speakers, so my main concern is wanting more volume and headroom on tap if I should so desire.

Edit: Even if I do not go with external amp right away, I'd like to have the XT32 capability. Right now I only have XT on my 2600. And I figured the external amp would last years and could be used in multiple configurations.

Last edited:

Bear123

The way my living room is setup, there's a fireplace under the TV. As a result, and because of the wife, I probably will never add a center channel. For now the phantom center of the Sierras does a decent job. It is a 2.1 system. Mains crossed at 80hz with a Hsu VTF-2 Mk5. My priority is music, though it is used for TV and movies as well. I'm unsure of actual levels I listen normally. Usually -10ish on the Denon. Higher on movies. Depends on source. I'm 8 feet away from speakers, so my main concern is wanting more volume and headroom on tap if I should so desire.

Edit: Even if I do not go with external amp right away, I'd like to have the XT32 capability. Right now I only have XT on my 2600. And I figured the external amp would last years and could be used in multiple configurations.
I think the Mono's are really good amps for the price and to pair with AVR's in general. Legit 200+/300+ watts 8/4 ohm. That they achieve full power with only 1.4 volts makes them really easy to drive, even if internal amps are not disconnected. In your shoes, I'd probably get the 3 channel, just to have it in case you ever add a center channel. The cost is $1100/$1250/$1500 for 2/3/5 channels. For $150, you have center channel amplification if ever needed. As you said, this amp should last many years.

At 8 feet, I'm not sure you NEED more power, but you'll get a higher SINAD. *Knowing* that might cause you to perceive higher sound quality. :)
The 3700 can burst 240 watts into 4 ohms. Would love to see Amir test one of the Monolith amps to see how his results compare to Audioholics.

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I have the Monolith 7x200. While it's a nice amp it really heavy at 93 lbs. The Monolith 2x200 is 48 lbs and $1100. I also have the March Audio P452 Stereo Purifi based amp. It offers just as much power as the Monolith 2x200 but only weighs 8.2 pounds and offers me 75dB levels while only using 16 watts from the AC outlet. In contrast, my Monolith 7x200 uses 140 watts of energy even at low volume levels and about 155-160 watts at 75dB. lol

When I hook up the Ascend Sierra Towers to the Monolith 7x200 and then back to the Purifi amp they both sound identical to me. I can't tell a difference while listening. The weight difference is huge. Now VTV is selling a Purifi based stereo amp for $979. I have not purchased that unit yet but if I need another Purifi design it will be on my list to consider.

On the other hand, if you usually don't push volume above 75-80db the Denon 3700 internal amps will be enough. An external 200 watt amp will provide 3db extra headroom but at 75-80dB it will be hard to notice. The problem is once you get the bug to buy an amp it's hard to listen to anyone telling you the SQ difference may be small. I know I had to try it myself. :D

Either way, I would get these fans for the Denon 3700.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JLV4BWC/

CoolHandDuke

I think the Mono's are really good amps for the price and to pair with AVR's in general. Legit 200+/300+ watts 8/4 ohm. That they achieve full power with only 1.4 volts makes them really easy to drive, even if internal amps are not disconnected. In your shoes, I'd probably get the 3 channel, just to have it in case you ever add a center channel. The cost is $1100/$1250/$1500 for 2/3/5 channels. For $150, you have center channel amplification if ever needed. As you said, this amp should last many years.

At 8 feet, I'm not sure you NEED more power, but you'll get a higher SINAD. *Knowing* that might cause you to perceive higher sound quality. :)
The 3700 can burst 240 watts into 4 ohms. Would love to see Amir test one of the Monolith amps to see how his results compare to Audioholics.
This is exactly it. Not craving higher volumes, but does feel like things get a tad harsh when I push it at times. Probably operating right at the limit when I turn it up. Plus, if the living room gets reconfigured, and I'm further from speakers, the added power would be welcome.

CoolHandDuke

I have the Monolith 7x200. While it's a nice amp it really heavy at 93 lbs. The Monolith 2x200 is 48 lbs and $1100. I also have the March Audio P452 Stereo Purifi based amp. It offers just as much power as the Monolith 2x200 but only weighs 8.2 pounds and offers me 75dB levels while only using 16 watts from the AC outlet. In contrast, my Monolith 7x200 uses 140 watts of energy even at low volume levels and about 155-160 watts at 75dB. lol

When I hook up the Ascend Sierra Towers to the Monolith 7x200 and then back to the Purifi amp they both sound identical to me. I can't tell a difference while listening. The weight difference is huge. Now VTV is selling a Purifi based stereo amp for $979. I have not purchased that unit yet but if I need another Purifi design it will be on my list to consider.

On the other hand, if you usually don't push volume above 75-80db the Denon 3700 internal amps will be enough. An external 200 watt amp will provide 3db extra headroom but at 75-80dB it will be hard to notice. The problem is once you get the bug to buy an amp it's hard to listen to anyone telling you the SQ difference may be small. I know I had to try it myself. :D

Either way, I would get these fans for the Denon 3700.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JLV4BWC/
I also considered the class D amps. I'll certainly do more research about sensitivity of the Purifi and Hypex. March has that 300+watt one for less than 1k.

I also considered just moving to the towers for the higher sensitivity and returning the 2-EX, but the Excel woofer is pretty great. The only SQ difference I would expect to hear is at the top end of my volume, not at normal listening. When running Denon in full preamp mode (all internal amps off), is there still a heat issue?

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also considered the class D amps. I'll certainly do more research about sensitivity of the Purifi and Hypex. March has that 300+watt one for less than 1k.

I also considered just moving to the towers for the higher sensitivity and returning the 2-EX, but the Excel woofer is pretty great. The only SQ difference I would expect to hear is at the top end of my volume, not at normal listening. When running Denon in full preamp mode (all internal amps off), is there still a heat issue?

My Denon 4700 is running in preamp mode. All of my speakers are powered by ext. amps. The Denon still gets pretty warm. I would have thought in preamp mode it would run cool but that's not the case. However, with the AC Infinity MULTIFAN S7 fan on top it stays amazingly cool.

CoolHandDuke

My Denon 4700 is running in preamp mode. All of my speakers are powered by ext. amps. The Denon still gets pretty warm. I would have thought in preamp mode it would run cool but that's not the case. However, with the AC Infinity MULTIFAN S7 fan on top it stays amazingly cool.
Great. Thanks. I imagine cooler than with internal amps running, but I'll keep that in mind for sure. Final decision I'm making is to just pull the trigger on Denon (easier to set up with sub, convenience, HDMI, etc) or the minidsp SHD (better SINAD, but no returns, Dirac (but 2 channel), lack of HDMI and trigger output). Leaning towards Denon. Then decide between Monolith or class D amp. Also like the 120hz capability with eventual PS5 purchase (I know there are issues with some devices with this).

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

When in preamp mode, is Eco "on" automatically? If not, you should manually turn it on and it should run cooler. Preamp mode only disconnect the signal line to the power amps but the power supply rails will remain connected to the power supply.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When in preamp mode, is Eco "on" automatically? If not, you should manually turn it on and it should run cooler. Preamp mode only disconnect the signal line to the power amps but the power supply rails will remain connected to the power supply.

Once you configure "Preamp mode" in Amp Assign with the Denon 3700, 4700 or 6700 then ECO mode is disabled. Pushing the ECO button on the remote will make no change. Once "Preamp mode" is disengaged the ECO function is enabled again.

SaintButters

Hello guys, I'm new to this forum, I was impressed by Amir's reviews and decided to sign in.
I currently own a stereo setup : Marantz PM6005, Denon DA300usb DAC and a pair of Focal Aria 906 speakers. I play music through my PC via Tidal HiFi.
I'm planning on getting a 5.1 setup and replace my PM6005 by the x3700h. Do you think going to the x3700h from my PM6005 is a downgrade in 2.0 audio fidelity ?

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello guys, I'm new to this forum, I was impressed by Amir's reviews and decided to sign in.
I currently own a stereo setup : Marantz PM6005, Denon DA300usb DAC and a pair of Focal Aria 906 speakers. I play music through my PC via Tidal HiFi.
I'm planning on getting a 5.1 setup and replace my PM6005 by the x3700h. Do you think going to the x3700h from my PM6005 is a downgrade in 2.0 audio fidelity ?

The Denon 3700 will offer an upgrade to your stereo listening and the option for a home theatre setup. The DLNA function will allow you to use Wifi for Tidal or continue using an external DAC. Plus, the 3700 amp section is stronger as well. You can use Stereo mode or PURE mode on the 3700. I don't see a downside to using the 3700 for Stereo. That's how I use my Denon 4700 most of the time. Then when I want to watch movies I push the remote for 7.2.4 mode.

Bear123

Audyssey XT32 on your speakers should provide a large increase in fidelity unless you have somehow managed an accurate response without eq. Bass management and the ability to add subs will be another significant upgrade to sound quality. 2.0 is a huge compromise if high fidelity is the goal.

Also, based on mfr specs, the PM6005 looks to have a lot less power, and higher noise/distortion.

Last edited:

SaintButters

The Denon 3700 will offer an upgrade to your stereo listening and the option for a home theatre setup. The DLNA function will allow you to use Wifi for Tidal or continue using an external DAC. Plus, the 3700 amp section is stronger as well. You can use Stereo mode or PURE mode on the 3700. I don't see a downside to using the 3700 for Stereo. That's how I use my Denon 4700 most of the time. Then when I want to watch movies I push the remote for 7.2.4 mode.
Glad to hear that. I initialy planned to play music through the Tidal app on my shield, but I will try others options with the DLNA function. Unlike you, I would use only 5 channels, maybe 7 one day (5.1.2) so I'm thinking maybe a X2700h would suffice but I would lose power and Audyssey XT32. I will think about that.
Thanks for your answer :)

Top Bottom