• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magnepan LRS Speaker Review

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
lots of detail, accurate timbre, and a high degree of transparency fits these and other Maggies
I don't think that's a suitable comment, personally. All of that stuff is in FR and mix of reflections at the listening position. As long as they are well-controlled these aren't properties that belong to Maggies above other types of speakers. It's equivalent to saying a speaker is "good". When a speaker is good, it'll have all of those qualities, transparency and so on.

Vasr

Major Contributor
As long as they are well-controlled these aren't properties that belong to Maggies above other types of speakers.
That is not what was said, is it? :facepalm:
It's equivalent to saying a speaker is "good". When a speaker is good, it'll have all of those qualities, transparency and so on.
This was what was said.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
That is not what was said, is it? :facepalm:

This was what was said.
"these and other Maggies"

These = these Maggies under test.

Vasr

Major Contributor
"these and other Maggies"

These = these Maggies under test.

These = LRS and other Maggies. No claim was made about the quality of Maggies (these or others) over other types of speakers as you have suggested. Nor was there any claim these were unique to Maggies.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
These = LRS and other Maggies. No claim was made about the quality of Maggies (these or others) over other types of speakers as you have suggested.
Then we are both reading the post by Wes correctly, but you read mine incorrectly.

To me, it doesn't make sense that Maggies have "lots of detail, accurate timbre, and a high degree of transparency" as though these are their in-built qualities. Looking at the measured results, those qualities don't belong to the LRS unless a person is prepared to do a lot of tweaking. I've heard other Maggies I've liked, set up well, and some which sound bad because they were set up poorly. Transparency, etc., are system/setup qualities at the far end of the process, like I said in my comment above about them being very much "room sound" speakers.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Then we are both reading the post by Wes correctly, but you read mine incorrectly.

To me, it doesn't make sense that Maggies have "lots of detail, accurate timbre, and a high degree of transparency" as though these are their in-built qualities. Looking at the measured results, those qualities don't belong to the LRS unless a person is prepared to do a lot of tweaking. I've heard other Maggies I've liked, set up well, and some which sound bad because they were set up poorly. Transparency, etc., are system/setup qualities at the far end of the process, like I said in my comment above about them being very much "room sound" speakers.

Your assertion makes no sense to me. A speaker doesn't get more detail, transparency, etc., because of the room if it doesn't have that capability to start with. It is ludicrous to suggest a room can make a speaker more transparent. :oops:

You are basing your assertion on two things - the measurement set up as done here didn't capture it and that it is difficult to set up a Maggie to sound good. Valid observations but not necessarily a correct inference.

The alternative inference that also fit those observations (taking no personal position on it but rather a logical alternative) is that the measurement set up wasn't right for this type of speaker (note that this is not outlandish, the possibility of a correction to the measurement setup was raised in the measurement of Revels) and that without proper and very careful set up the room interaction can destroy those properties because this design is more susceptible to such interactions with the room (as well as its relative orientation to the listening position) and hence requiring a careful setup.

Again, not taking a position one way or the other. Both assertions are equally valid or equally invalid as likely candidates.

To take a position one way or the other on those alternatives as necessarily true is exposing an implicit bias.

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Your assertion makes no sense to me. A speaker doesn't get more detail, transparency, etc., because of the room if it doesn't have that capability to start with. It is ludicrous to suggest a room can make a speaker more transparent. :oops:

You are basing your assertion on two things - the measurement set up as done here didn't capture it and that it is difficult to set up a Maggie to sound good. Valid observations but not necessarily a correct inference.

The alternative inference that also fit those observations (taking no personal position on it but rather a logical alternative) is that the measurement set up wasn't right for this type of speaker (note that this is not outlandish, such an admission was made for measurement of Revels) and that without proper and very careful set up the room interaction can destroy those properties because this design is more susceptible to such interactions with the room.

Again, not taking a position one way or the other. Both assertions are equally valid or equally invalid as likely candidates.

To take a position one way or the other on those alternatives as necessarily true is exposing an implicit bias.
I think this isn't the place for this argument. If you'd like to get into this please start a thread and I'll reply.

Apologies to @Wes for making a mountain out a semantic molehill.

Vasr

Major Contributor
I think this isn't the place for this argument. If you'd like to get into this please start a thread and I'll reply.

??? This is related to the sound quality of the LRS and its measurement (as generalized to Maggies also) and this is a thread about the LRS. And you started it here with your assertion... ;)

I have already addressed your assertion. I have nothing more to say unless there is a counterpoint here or elsewhere.

Justin Ayers

What's been shown is that as hearing damage increases, listeners become increasingly unreliable in their reports. I.e., less able to form a preference.
If a person can hear then the person can form a preference. If the preference changes then their preference is unstable. How quickly does the preference change? What degree of degradation is needed to create the instability? Is there an intermediate area where the preference "sticks" unless the hearing has been quite aggravated?

"Less able to form a preference" and "increasingly unreliable in their reports" are both vague to me. If you can link to a recent article that explains these things clearly (especially one that doesn't conflate presbycusis with nosocusis and sociocusis) that would be great.
With hearing damage loudness perception across many levels changes, not just sensitivity to the quietest sounds or those with the most HF content.
If that's true then, given the pervasiveness of hearing damage, a very large portion of the public will be "increasingly unreliable in their reports", "less able to form a preference"?

From what I've read that's a big overgeneralization. It is my understanding that there are different types of hearing reduction losses, including mostly the loss of high frequencies only. Perhaps it is true only for much of sociocusis-induced degradation but what about the effects of ototoxins and health factors like diabetes (nosocusis)? Some hearing degradation factors are due to things other than the hairs being damaged. It seems very unlikely that they would all yield the same symptoms.
The area most likely to be damaged is also much lower: around 3kHz.
So, a person who can hear up to 15.5K and no further, as an example, could have reduced sensitivity at 3K? Must they have it?

If the sensitivity loss is centered around 3K that's not the same thing as "With hearing damage loudness perception across many levels changes, not just sensitivity to the quietest sounds or those with the most HF content". It would, instead, be "With hearing damage, loudness perception tends to be reduced around 3K". And, what is "tends to be"? 90% chance? 60% chance? How much of a notch filter is it versus a larger range? How deep is the reduction? What about hyperacusis?

wiki said:
Hearing loss is classified as mild, moderate, severe or profound. Pure-tone audiometry for air conduction thresholds at 250, 500, 1000, 2000, 4000, 6000 and 8000 Hz is traditionally used to classify the degree of hearing loss in each ear.
So, is the research adequately looking at the ends of the hearing range? Seems to be focusing mainly on the speech range. That would explain a finding about 3K being the most common. It would ignore any losses above 8K entirely.

It also seems relevant that a huge portion of what is written talks about hearing "loss". I prefer the term degradation, as it focuses more on quality rather than on the more binary "Can you understand speech well without a hearing aid or not?" model that seems to dominate the research (based on my very cursory/preliminary look at it, that is).
At 15kHz changes will be due to aging or chronic health issues. The results for any given person are likely more hereditary than environmental, at least that high in the spectrum.
wikipedia said:
Age affects high frequencies more than low, and men more than women. One early consequence is that even young adults may lose the ability to hear very high frequency tones above 15 or 16 kHz. Despite this, age-related hearing loss may only become noticeable later in life. The effects of age can be exacerbated by exposure to environmental noise (sociocusis). A second exacerbating factor is exposure to ototoxic drugs and chemicals/elements.

Once the loss has progressed to the 2–4 kHz range, there is increased difficulty understanding consonants.

In the Framingham cohort study, only 10% of the variability of hearing with age could be explained by age-related physiologic deterioration. Within family groups, heredity factors were dominant; across family groups, other, presumably sociocusis and nosocusis factors were dominant..
Words like "may" point to the problematic nature of tweezing out both the causes and the symptoms. For instance, if exposed to certain computer noise for long enough I get a temporary, very annoying, midrange warble that I never hear otherwise.

Wikipedia says age is weakly correlated with prebycusis and that most people had good hearing in pre-industrial times (although it also says citation needed for that latter claim). Trying to move beyond Wikipedia's mixture of accuracy and sloppiness, I just read a PDF from the NIH and it's a mess. It conflates presbycusis with nosocusis and sociocusis, for instance. It also has a lot of "sometimes it's this, sometimes it's that". Hand-waving about tinnitus. So, I looked at some other seemingly authoritative sites and they did the same thing. It's hard to persist in an investigation when the sources are shoddy.

This reminds me of the low fat diet that was the standard of the medical community for decades because a charismatic (bully) scientist contradicted the findings of a prior scientist. He mischaracterized what his "big data" showed and the prior scientist and his work became the object of ridicule and a chilling effect on follow-up research. That scientist said the data shows that sugar is the big dietary problem, not fat. I hope to be convinced, via a link to a very clear and very well-supported source of evidence that we're not dealing with a flawed understanding of the situation. Of course, before it was finally realized by the community of experts that they had gotten the low fat bit completely wrong for many years, even though the data about sugar had already been known, someone like me asking questions would have been authoritatively informed about why it's a simple fact that reducing fat intake and not worrying about sugar intake nearly as much is the way to understand diet strategy.

The data may, indeed, be out there. It may not be. It may be mischaracterized or forgotten. That's one of the issues with science. Sometimes it is the loudest voice or the voice that is saying what seems convenient or useful that wins the day. Skepticism about the low fat strategy was met, though, with ridicule and a chilling effect on research. The scientist who published a book about sugar was shunned. What about people who aren't even able to get that far, because they're shot down more quickly?
Main conclusion I reached is that speaker design should be consistent, and that any adjustments I need to make because of my hearing should be done at the source only. The speaker is a reproducer, not a loudness control or EQ.
Speakers are subject to shortcomings due to cost/benefit analysis. Designs like the LRS sacrifice bass and probably high frequency performance as well, to fit into a price point. The LRS could have come with a 'subwoofer' and a ribbon tweeter (or some other kind of high-frequency tweeter). But, it does not. For people whose high frequencies have been lost, to aging or anything else, the addition of a tweeter for better reproduction of high frequencies is probably an unnecessary added cost. The same goes for additional bass response (a complex matter due to factors like loss of bass hearing, room gain, speaker distance, etc.). (Too bad about the midrange, though, unless sophisticated EQ can solve that.)

How much quality can be sacrificed to adhere to a price point is debatable. There is also the other issue of unnecessary shoddiness of design, something that came up in another topic I was posting in recently involving USB cable noise in digital audio — something that should never be a factor as practical/affordable solutions (like placing files into RAM) are available. Persisting with a poor design paradigm is no good. If the paradigm is broken, either by simply not being able to work at all or due it having been made superfluous by a better design, then the only thing that can keep it relevant is aesthetics. (Although, a picky person will note that anything that keeps a design relevant makes the design not fundamentally broken. I think from a practical standpoint that that's too fine-grained, as snake oil can bring pleasure to people and still shouldn't be allowed.) Some have argued here that planar speakers have to be larger than the LRS for the design to be relevant-enough. Some believe that additional hardware is necessary. MartinLogan uses subwoofers for all but one model of its electrostatic planars. Magnepan uses ribbon tweeters with higher-level models. Planar bass-enhancement panels can also be purchased from Magnepan to improve bass response to a point. Both also use larger size as one goes up the chain.

Speakers involve many factors, including aesthetic considerations. It's also true that a person, even if it's purely psychological, may find more enjoyment in listening to unusual speakers than typical box speakers. Humans, as a general rule, place more value in what is unusual than what is common. That's why an otherwise beautiful flower that grows easily is called a weed and one that is very hard to cultivate is cherished. (If dandelions were very rare and difficult to grow there would be gardeners all over hoping very much to have one in their flower bed. They'd spend money on the seeds and buy the plants at Lowe's. If the blue Himalayan poppy were to grow like dandelions do people would spend money to spray toxic chemicals around their properties to prevent them from appearing.) Scarcity causing perceived value meant aluminum was once more valued than gold, as an aesthetic item! Music enjoyment is subjective as it's an artistic experience. Try as they might, no one has ever been able to define the artistic experience on a universal level. Duchamp, when he placed a urinal in an art museum, drove that point home.

That said, good design from an engineering standpoint absolutely matters, especially when it comes to snake oil like that "noise cleaner". But, there can be large differences in what people seek from any artistic experience. Some, for instance, think fiery diamonds are worth spending very large amounts of money on. Others look at them and say "Okay... pretty rocks. So what?" Some can appreciate relatively small differences in quality of diamonds but also not think they're worth spending that kind of money on, even mostly regardless of scarcity. What would one do with them? I can't tolerate jewelry and watches — too annoying to wear. Another example is McDonald's food. It is satisfying to a huge number of people but, when compared with high-quality fare, is an abysmal experience (my opinion). The context also has a strong influence on the acceptability of the design.

The biggest hope factor is for humans to be improved, with the restoration of the ability to regenerate the cochlear cells. Only mammals lost that ability so it shouldn't be too difficult to find a way to use genetics to restore it. Once that happens then, indeed, speaker preference will be almost totally universal — as hearing degradation will cease to be a factor for the overwhelming majority. Maybe we can also adjust people so they will have better taste than McDonald's and Taco Bell.

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
If a person can hear then the person can form a preference. If the preference changes then their preference is unstable. How quickly does the preference change? What degree of degradation is needed to create the instability? Is there an intermediate area where the preference "sticks" unless the hearing has been quite aggravated?

"Less able to form a preference" and "increasingly unreliable in their reports" are both vague to me. If you can link to a recent article that explains these things clearly (especially one that doesn't conflate presbycusis with nosocusis and sociocusis) that would be great.

If that's true then, given the pervasiveness of hearing damage, a very large portion of the public will be "increasingly unreliable in their reports", "less able to form a preference"?

From what I've read that's a big overgeneralization. It is my understanding that there are different types of hearing reduction losses, including mostly the loss of high frequencies only. Perhaps it is true only for much of sociocusis-induced degradation but what about the effects of ototoxins and health factors like diabetes (nosocusis)? Some hearing degradation factors are due to things other than the hairs being damaged. It seems very unlikely that they would all yield the same symptoms.

So, a person who can hear up to 15.5K and no further, as an example, could have reduced sensitivity at 3K? Must they have it?

If the sensitivity loss is centered around 3K that's not the same thing as "With hearing damage loudness perception across many levels changes, not just sensitivity to the quietest sounds or those with the most HF content". It would, instead, be "With hearing damage, loudness perception tends to be reduced around 3K". And, what is "tends to be"? 90% chance? 60% chance? How much of a notch filter is it versus a larger range? How deep is the reduction? What about hyperacusis?

So, is the research adequately looking at the ends of the hearing range? Seems to be focusing mainly on the speech range. That would explain a finding about 3K being the most common. It would ignore any losses above 8K entirely.

It also seems relevant that a huge portion of what is written talks about hearing "loss". I prefer the term degradation, as it focuses more on quality rather than on the more binary "Can you understand speech well without a hearing aid or not?" model that seems to dominate the research (based on my very cursory/preliminary look at it, that is).

Words like "may" point to the problematic nature of tweezing out both the causes and the symptoms. For instance, if exposed to certain computer noise for long enough I get a temporary, very annoying, midrange warble that I never hear otherwise.

Wikipedia says age is weakly correlated with prebycusis and that most people had good hearing in pre-industrial times (although it also says citation needed for that latter claim). Trying to move beyond Wikipedia's mixture of accuracy and sloppiness, I just read a PDF from the NIH and it's a mess. It conflates presbycusis with nosocusis and sociocusis, for instance. It also has a lot of "sometimes it's this, sometimes it's that". Hand-waving about tinnitus. So, I looked at some other seemingly authoritative sites and they did the same thing. It's hard to persist in an investigation when the sources are shoddy.

This reminds me of the low fat diet that was the standard of the medical community for decades because a charismatic (bully) scientist contradicted the findings of a prior scientist. He mischaracterized what his "big data" showed and the prior scientist and his work became the object of ridicule and a chilling effect on follow-up research. That scientist said the data shows that sugar is the big dietary problem, not fat. I hope to be convinced, via a link to a very clear and very well-supported source of evidence that we're not dealing with a flawed understanding of the situation. Of course, before it was finally realized by the community of experts that they had gotten the low fat bit completely wrong for many years, even though the data about sugar had already been known, someone like me asking questions would have been authoritatively informed about why it's a simple fact that reducing fat intake and not worrying about sugar intake nearly as much is the way to understand diet strategy.

The data may, indeed, be out there. It may not be. It may be mischaracterized or forgotten. That's one of the issues with science. Sometimes it is the loudest voice or the voice that is saying what seems convenient or useful that wins the day. Skepticism about the low fat strategy was met, though, with ridicule and a chilling effect on research. The scientist who published a book about sugar was shunned. What about people who aren't even able to get that far, because they're shot down more quickly?

Speakers are subject to shortcomings due to cost/benefit analysis. Designs like the LRS sacrifice bass and probably high frequency performance as well, to fit into a price point. The LRS could have come with a 'subwoofer' and a ribbon tweeter (or some other kind of high-frequency tweeter). But, it does not. For people whose high frequencies have been lost, to aging or anything else, the addition of a tweeter for better reproduction of high frequencies is probably an unnecessary added cost. The same goes for additional bass response (a complex matter due to factors like loss of bass hearing, room gain, speaker distance, etc.). (Too bad about the midrange, though, unless sophisticated EQ can solve that.)

How much quality can be sacrificed to adhere to a price point is debatable. There is also the other issue of unnecessary shoddiness of design, something that came up in another topic I was posting in recently involving USB cable noise in digital audio — something that should never be a factor as practical/affordable solutions (like placing files into RAM) are available. Persisting with a poor design paradigm is no good. If the paradigm is broken, either by simply not being able to work at all or due it having been made superfluous by a better design, then the only thing that can keep it relevant is aesthetics. (Although, a picky person will note that anything that keeps a design relevant makes the design not fundamentally broken. I think from a practical standpoint that that's too fine-grained, as snake oil can bring pleasure to people and still shouldn't be allowed.) Some have argued here that planar speakers have to be larger than the LRS for the design to be relevant-enough. Some believe that additional hardware is necessary. MartinLogan uses subwoofers for all but one model of its electrostatic planars. Magnepan uses ribbon tweeters with higher-level models. Planar bass-enhancement panels can also be purchased from Magnepan to improve bass response to a point. Both also use larger size as one goes up the chain.

Speakers involve many factors, including aesthetic considerations. It's also true that a person, even if it's purely psychological, may find more enjoyment in listening to unusual speakers than typical box speakers. Humans, as a general rule, place more value in what is unusual than what is common. That's why an otherwise beautiful flower that grows easily is called a weed and one that is very hard to cultivate is cherished. (If dandelions were very rare and difficult to grow there would be gardeners all over hoping very much to have one in their flower bed. They'd spend money on the seeds and buy the plants at Lowe's. If the blue Himalayan poppy were to grow like dandelions do people would spend money to spray toxic chemicals around their properties to prevent them from appearing.) Scarcity causing perceived value meant aluminum was once more valued than gold, as an aesthetic item! Music enjoyment is subjective as it's an artistic experience. Try as they might, no one has ever been able to define the artistic experience on a universal level. Duchamp, when he placed a urinal in an art museum, drove that point home.

That said, good design from an engineering standpoint absolutely matters, especially when it comes to snake oil like that "noise cleaner". But, there can be large differences in what people seek from any artistic experience. Some, for instance, think fiery diamonds are worth spending very large amounts of money on. Others look at them and say "Okay... pretty rocks. So what?" Some can appreciate relatively small differences in quality of diamonds but also not think they're worth spending that kind of money on, even mostly regardless of scarcity. What would one do with them? I can't tolerate jewelry and watches — too annoying to wear. Another example is McDonald's food. It is satisfying to a huge number of people but, when compared with high-quality fare, is an abysmal experience (my opinion). The context also has a strong influence on the acceptability of the design.

The biggest hope factor is for humans to be improved, with the restoration of the ability to regenerate the cochlear cells. Only mammals lost that ability so it shouldn't be too difficult to find a way to use genetics to restore it. Once that happens then, indeed, speaker preference will be almost totally universal — as hearing degradation will cease to be a factor for the overwhelming majority. Maybe we can also adjust people so they will have better taste than McDonald's and Taco Bell.
It will take me a while to reply to your lengthy post. I'd like to be detailed but won't have time for a week or two.

josh358

Without skimming the 26 unread pages of this thread to see if you got your answer to the above 60-day-old question (not about why you are being mocked but about the appropriateness of NFS to dipoles or panels), here is my attempted explanation.

Main point to absorb is that Klippel builds a model of the total sound field in anechoic space. And it does it for any sound source, without caveat, whether point or line or pretzel or acoustic laser beam. So, yes, it is appropriate for this (or any) speaker.

Some reading, link, includes some discussion of line-source speaker from post #31.

The beauty of building (from Klippel NFS measurements) a total 3D model of the anechoic sound field, is that we know enough about how sound waves behave to describe how that sound field will expand. The physics is no longer about what caused that sound field — whether it was a loudspeaker of a certain shape, a live instrument, a human voice, or an exploding bomb, is all irrelevant — the physics from that point on is saying “we have a full 3D model of this ‘bubble’, so we know how it is going to behave as it expands, at every distance, at every direction, if it were in open space”. I hope that is helpful to your enquiry.

Why is anechoic response important for a speaker that will be heard in rooms with many reflections? Humans have spent enough time indoors/incave to feel it's unnatural if indoors and hearing sound without wall reflections. Toole has described, drawing on solid research, how the human listener is able to evaluate the direct sound separately from the summed sound, and if the direct sound of the Maggies (or any speaker) has an FR that varies much from flat, smooth, and extended, then it will not perform well in blind tests for that reason alone. It falls over at the first hurdle, and Amir’s measurement is the ‘real deal’ at telling us if it clears the first hurdle. A good speaker has to perform well at direct sound and reflected sound, both.

If the direct sound is bad, then it's just wallpapering to look to the total room result for help. The speaker is doomed and can never reach the top shelf.

Then why do some bad-measuring speakers get glowing listener reviews? Because it is human nature to pre-condition incoming raw sense data (the sound waves) with a suite of unconscious personal cognitive biases, which we are wired to mistake for the raw sense data. That's why some bad speakers still get so much praise. Something non-sonic about them (or their back story) is so well aligned with widespread biases or values that many of us hear their sound as good anyway.

cheers
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you haven't actually heard the speakers?

Anyone who isn't interested in wading through the text should now, right this second, scroll down to the response curve at the bottom of my post.

For anyone else, the way in which a loudspeaker *interacts* with a room is crucial. It's well known that loudspeakers tend to sound similar in an anechoic chamber. But loudspeakers interact with their environment.

This is particularly true of dipoles. They *cannot* give meaningful results when measured anechoically because, among other things Fequal is highly dependent upon boundary reflections. When you measure them in free space, you are in effect removing half or more of their baffle area, and since the response of a dipole is critically dependent on baffle area it will produce unrepresentative results in the absence of mathematical correction.

Quite simply, a finite and closed baffle loudspeaker that have identical on-axis response in free space will have different response in a room.

There are other ways in which dipoles and closed baffle speakers interact differently with the room as well. For a given on-axis SPL, a dipole speaker radiates 4.8 dB less acoustic energy into a room. In practice, this means that optimal results will be achieved with a lower RT60 than they will with a closed baffle speaker -- one that is closer to the RT60 of an untreated room. It also means that, when sufficiently far from surfaces so that reflected sound is perceived as ambiance rather than smear, a dipole will tend to provide the illusion of depth -- desirable for large scale performances -- while a finite baffle will tend to provide the illusion of width, which is perhaps more suited to small scale ones.

Then there are transient response, IM distortion, the sonic character of diaphragm breakup (quite different between a diaphragm and a cone, and differing among cones depending on cone material), and so on. Like others, I've noticed that a clean waterfall tends to be associated with clarity, though this again is difficult to measure in a large source speaker because of boundary reflections and arrival time issues. Uniform power response matters as well, and a dipole has an advantage in this regard because of its uniform radiation pattern. (There are also disadvantages, both to a short line source like the LRS, which tends to beam vertically at high frequencies as Amir noted, and to side-by-side drivers that give rise to lateral rather than vertical crossover lobing.)

Now to the meat: here's a measurement of the LRS, taken at a 3 meter distance typical of actual listening. Note the response at +10 degrees -- the orange curve:

1606435359321.png

https://audioxpress.com/files/attachment/2726

Looks like a very different speaker, doesn't it? Still weak in the bass and the top octave, but in the midrange, as nice as can be -- which is the general consensus of the subjective reviews I've read -- remarkable midrange, weak bass and treble.

That's why I asked if you'd heard the LRS. There's a reason it has garnered so many raves as a $300 speaker. Clearly, there are trade-offs at this price point, but I haven't heard a speaker in that range that sounds as superbly realistic on acoustical material. (For rock, you'd definitely want to pair these with subs, as many do.)

Dipoles do require some futzing to find the optimal position, but that's the nature of the beast -- those who just want to throw their speakers on the shelf and listen are better off with a box. But properly set up in a real world living room without acoustical treatment, the advantages of the dipole radiation pattern come into play.

Bottom line, I think you have to listen, as well as measure a pair that is properly set up in an actual room. Do a blind test, too, if you want to remove confirmation bias -- but don't make assumptions about the results of such a test until you've actually done this, as Magnepan does.

Last edited:

Newman

Major Contributor
I’ve not auditioned the LRS, but have heard higher-priced Maggies, including ultra-hot-rodded editions. Short and long listening sessions. Dealer setups and lovingly finetuned home setups. Multiple times repeated over the long term. Your assumptions about me are dead wrong, unless you want to press a claim that the LRS is on a plane above the more expensive models.

But casual/sighted listening impressions, by me or you, are neither here nor there, if your aim is to comment on my comments. In fact your long post seems to completely ignore one of my main points, that in-room response is the second of two hurdles that a speaker has to pass, if people are going to assess its sound waves highly, i.e. in controlled listening tests. And this speaker fell at the first hurdle.

P.S. You do a blind test, if you want to remove non-sonic factors. Until then, you have actually got nothing to report about the sound waves.

cheers

Last edited:

TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

Forum Donor
It's $600/pair. It's a $300 speaker.

josh358

I’ve not auditioned the LRS, but have heard higher-priced Maggies, including ultra-hot-rodded editions. Short and long listening sessions. Dealer setups and lovingly finetuned home setups. Multiple times repeated over the long term. Your assumptions about me are dead wrong, unless you want to press a claim that the LRS is on a plane above the more expensive models.

But casual/sighted listening impressions, by me or you, are neither here nor there, if your aim is to comment on my comments. In fact your long post seems to completely ignore one of my main points, that in-room response is the second of two hurdles that a speaker has to pass, if people are going to assess its sound waves highly, i.e. in controlled listening tests. And this speaker fell at the first hurdle.

P.S. You do a blind test, if you want to remove non-sonic factors. Until then, you have actually got nothing to report about the sound waves.

cheers
As I thought, you haven't heard the damn speaker. Listen to it, and we'll have something interesting to talk about.

Meanwhile, having heard them, I already know what they sound like. So I'm less interested in that than in the psychoacoustic relationship between what we measure and what we hear, and measurements that don't reflect what a loudspeaker does in an actual room are of no use in that, whereas the measurements which I posted, and which do reflect what goes on in the room, are of interest -- and they happen to show excellent response in the critical midrange. Power response would also be expected to be good, because of the radiation characteristics of dipoles, which don't suffer from an uncorrectable baffle step. And the fact that dipoles excite fewer room modes than closed baffle speakers is a decided advantage in real rooms.

This does not, however, tell the entire story, because despite what you imply, in-room response is far from the only criterion by which we measure of a speaker. I would expect you to know this. Certainly I have tried to explain some of these other criteria, but that effort seems to have fallen on disused ears.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Meanwhile, having heard them, I already know what they sound like. So I'm less interested in that than in the psychoacoustic relationship between what we measure and what we hear
I think all of these dipole/panel speakers create high level of spaciousness that audiophiles tend to love and associate with hi-fi/realism. I too used to be there but the effect wore out for me and then became a liability. I did not like that everything played on them sounded big and spacious regardless of the original intent of the recording.

So the psychoacoustic is clear.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I should also add the visual impression on what we audibly perceive is huge. In controlled blind listening this factor is taken away and preference scores come way down (due to poor tonality).

Newman

Major Contributor
Exactly.

But try telling that to Josh.

Oh wait, you just did. ;)

josh358

I think all of these dipole/panel speakers create high level of spaciousness that audiophiles tend to love and associate with hi-fi/realism. I too used to be there but the effect wore out for me and then became a liability. I did not like that everything played on them sounded big and spacious regardless of the original intent of the recording.

So the psychoacoustic is clear.
I agree that that's a big part of it. But I've never tired of it, because to me, it's more like live acoustical music in a hall, and the further the speakers are from the front wall the more realistic that effect is. I've tried absorption behind the speakers and the sound became very precise, but unrealistically so. Diffusion works best.

Another thing -- since they dump less energy into the room and it doesn't reflect off the sides, I think they sound more detailed. I've never been sure how much of the detail of electrostatics, planars, and horns is due to that, and how much due to the impulse response of the drivers themselves. Maybe both -- if you put a true ribbon in an enclosure, the highs still sound more natural than they do with most dynamic tweeters.

josh358

I should also add the visual impression on what we audibly perceive is huge. In controlled blind listening this factor is taken away and preference scores come way down (due to poor tonality).

Well, this reminds me of a story that Wendell Diller at Magnepan told me. He took a pair of their small on-wall speakers to an audio show and played them to the audience behind a scrim. Everyone said they sounded great. Then he removed the scrim, and nobody was interested in them because they were so small and unprepossesing.

Anyway, which preference tests? Because Magnepan likes to demonstrate speakers behind a scrim and they do great. I'm curious about why you say they have bad tonality as well, unless you're talking about the shuffler, which will make any dipole sound bad.

The LRS is their cheapest model, something they give away at near cost to introduce people to the Magnepan sound now that there are fewer high end dealers. As Wendell at Magnepan puts it, the LRS turns into a midrange in a large room, as the measurements suggest. The general rule is the larger the room, the larger the baffle because of how they couple. Anyway, the in-room response of the larger models is fine. At the extreme, the critical midrange of the 30.7 is something like +/- 1 dB, just about the flattest measurements I've ever seen, and the power response of dipole line sources is naturally good as well. The 30.7 is flat to 20 Hz and the true ribbon tweeter to 40 kHz, the limit of their measurement microphone. (By "flat" I mean that they're design to a house curve, something like .5 dB per octave).

josh358

Exactly.

But try telling that to Josh.

Oh wait, you just did. ;)
Except that they do great in blind listening tests. Magnepan is big on blind listening tests.

Just thought I'd point to some actual facts. ;) .

Top Bottom