• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks, so it needs a laptop for the power (assume iPhone wouldn’t have enough power)?
I'm really not sure about the iPhone I use it on a MacBook myself and that works very well.

chi2

Forum Donor
Thanks, so it needs a laptop for the power (assume iPhone wouldn’t have enough power)?

No overly obvious power related problems with the iPhone 6s plus and the iPhone 11 Pro Max. They just get drained a good bit faster. However, for higher sound levels using power hungry headphones my favorite clearly is the E1DA 9038S G3 which now fully supports the iPhone (no special app required). You just need a balanced cable - or wait for the 9038D.

somy

No overly obvious power related problems with the iPhone 6s plus and the iPhone 11 Pro Max. They just get drained a good bit faster. However, for higher sound levels using power hungry headphones my favorite clearly is the E1DA 9038S G3 which now fully supports the iPhone (no special app required). You just need a balanced cable - or wait for the 9038D.
Which headphone do you use?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have donated a TempoTec Sonata HD non-Pro for @amirm to measure, its in his review queue somewhere. Let's see how it goes. :)

Cirrus Logic CS42L42 DAC chip.

Specification:
S/N Ratio: 114dB.
Dynamic Range:114dB.
Output Power: 2*60 mW /32 Ohms.
Resolution 16/24bit, 44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192KHz.
Working Current: 50 mA.

Tempotec Sonata HD.jpg

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have donated a TempoTec Sonata HD non-Pro for @amirm to measure, its in his review queue somewhere. Let's see how it goes. :)

Cirrus Logic CS42L42 DAC chip.

Specification:
S/N Ratio: 114dB.
Dynamic Range:114dB.
Output Power: 2*60 mW /32 Ohms.
Resolution 16/24bit, 44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192KHz.
Working Current: 50 mA.

View attachment 79298
Be interested where this falls inbetween the s8/HD Pro and this thingy which I believe is the sonata Pro (I get so confused) that I think he has tested. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-hidizs-dac-and-amp-dongle.8707/
15981057192684490528430533006513.jpg

Last edited:

chi2

Forum Donor
@somy
Lots :). Among the more power hungry ones being ZMF Auteur, Eikon and Atticus as well as Sennheiser HD800, 650 and 600 (don't have the 660). E1DA 9038S G3 even drives the HEDDphone with unexpected authority. Just tried the HIDIZ S8 with that but it's no good idea as it has limited volume and tends to distort already at slightly above mid levels.

somy

@somy
Lots :). Among the more power hungry ones being ZMF Auteur, Eikon and Atticus as well as Sennheiser HD800, 650 and 600 (don't have the 660). E1DA 9038S G3 even drives the HEDDphone with unexpected authority. Just tried the HIDIZ S8 with that but it's no good idea as it has limited volume and tends to distort already at slightly above mid levels.
Thanks, so it has enough power to drive HD650? In which case it’s definitely a go for HD660S

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, so it has enough power to drive HD650? In which case it’s definitely a go for HD660S
I'd second that. Just be aware that you'd need to get a 2.5mm balanced male adapter to whatever balanced connector the 660 has, which I think is 4.4mm. Check amazon for 2.5mm male to 4.4mm female.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I expect that too, very curious to see if the specs are true. I own both the Hidizs S8 (TempoTec Sonata HD Pro) and the TempoTec Sonata HD.
I own the HD Pro and the one I pictured, and the meizu Pro. I'll be honest. I don't see much of a difference in use driving iem

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are talking of the E1DA: definitely, if you mean the S8: probably.
Believe this was e1da. At least that's what I understood when I responded

User52

I think im going to end up returning my Sonata HD Pro. I really like it except for one issue thats going to drive me insane; the popping/clicking when audio starts and stops. I was trying to use this DAC for general PC use, so youtube, gaming, music, and while I dont originally remember having this issue, it definitely has been bad the last few days. Sigh. The price and performance are there, just this one fault.

Edit: I dont know if I should gamble on another unit. "Yannick Khong" on a facebook budget audiphile group reviewed the Sonata HD Pro, had the same issue, so he chose not to keep it, but later got another one and the issue wasnt present in the second one.

Has anyone else had the issue and gotten a second one that works without the popping?

Last edited:

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello, you beautiful people.
Read through the majority of discussion, yep I am not disputing that "Tempotec Sonata HD Pro" = "HIDIZS S8".
One thing I do see is that the AliExpress store for Tempotec has two models of Sonta HD Pro, with the iOS compatibility ticked or not. What is the difference between these models? Is it just a firmware update or such, that any normal mortal could do with a USB port and a PC, or is there something else going on?

For the sake of a couple of packets of biscuits, I'd like to actually buy the right thing.
£33-36 is such a low outlay, that I'm willing to give this thing a go from somewhere that might be awkward with after sales should something not be up to snuff.

Has anyone tried this device with an ADuM USB isolator? I got one dirt cheap via ebay, and the cheap-ass DC-DC isolator will do about 180mA at best for devices down stream. Am I correct in thinking it draws around 91mA (91mA x 5v = 455mW as seen on a graph somewhere).

(I do not, and probably won't own Apple products. I don't call a Motorola ROKR E1 an 'Apple product', but it was sure as heck crippled by them having iTunes on it)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, you beautiful people.
Read through the majority of discussion, yep I am not disputing that "Tempotec Sonata HD Pro" = "HIDIZS S8".
One thing I do see is that the AliExpress store for Tempotec has two models of Sonta HD Pro, with the iOS compatibility ticked or not. What is the difference between these models? Is it just a firmware update or such, that any normal mortal could do with a USB port and a PC, or is there something else going on?

For the sake of a couple of packets of biscuits, I'd like to actually buy the right thing.
£33-36 is such a low outlay, that I'm willing to give this thing a go from somewhere that might be awkward with after sales should something not be up to snuff.

Has anyone tried this device with an ADuM USB isolator? I got one dirt cheap via ebay, and the cheap-ass DC-DC isolator will do about 180mA at best for devices down stream. Am I correct in thinking it draws around 91mA (91mA x 5v = 455mW as seen on a graph somewhere).

(I do not, and probably won't own Apple products. I don't call a Motorola ROKR E1 an 'Apple product', but it was sure as heck crippled by them having iTunes on it)

The IOS one comes with a lightning to micro usb cable as well as a USB C- thats it.

Chastity23

Hi guys,

I wish to get some clarification on one point in the data given in this review. Over on Reddit's r/HeadphoneAdvice sub, I got into a debate with a fellow named u/raistlin65 (He has an account here, but wishes to remain anonymous) over the meaning of the Max Power listed in charts for Distortion @ 300 ohm in this review, and for the iFi Zen DAC. He postulates that the 14mW Max Power is a measurement of the devices Max Output at 300 ohm. My position is that it's a max output threshold, indicating at what point the unit's amp will begin to distort and clip.

Based on the manufacturers' websites, the 2 units are reported to have the following power outputs:

iFi Zen DAC: 230mW@32 ohm
Hidizs S8 USB-C headphone Adapter: 60mW@32ohm

Using the formula: Power (mW) = (Voltage ^ 2) / Impedance

You can easily calculate the Voltage of the 2 units, 2.71 V RMS for the Zen DAC, and 1.39V RMS for the S8. This would give us the following at 300 ohm:

iFi Zen DAC: 24.53 mW @ 300 ohm
Hidizs S8: 6.4mW @ 300 ohm

u/raistlin65 's position is that the Zen DAC and the S8 output the same power at 300 ohm, the 14mW and 13mW listed in the Distortion chart @ 300 ohm.

My position is that the Distortion charts are conveying that @ 300 ohms, the S8 would have to output 14mW in order to start distorting/clipping, and since the unit can only do 6.4mW, that it will not clip at all. In retrospect, the Zen DAC is capable of outputting 24.5mW @ 300, and will clip/distort when the amp achieves 14mW output or higher.

I am hoping someone here, preferably @amirm , could clarify on the information, and verify if either of us are correct, and settle this debate.

The 2 charts in question:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...er-into-300-ohm-audio-measurements-png.45382/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...e-amp-review.9885/#lg=attachment38824&slide=0

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guys,

I wish to get some clarification on one point in the data given in this review. Over on Reddit's r/HeadphoneAdvice sub, I got into a debate with a fellow named u/raistlin65 (He has an account here, but wishes to remain anonymous) over the meaning of the Max Power listed in charts for Distortion @ 300 ohm in this review, and for the iFi Zen DAC. He postulates that the 14mW Max Power is a measurement of the devices Max Output at 300 ohm. My position is that it's a max output threshold, indicating at what point the unit's amp will begin to distort and clip.

Based on the manufacturers' websites, the 2 units are reported to have the following power outputs:

iFi Zen DAC: 230mW@32 ohm
Hidizs S8 USB-C headphone Adapter: 60mW@32ohm

Using the formula: Power (mW) = (Voltage ^ 2) / Impedance

You can easily calculate the Voltage of the 2 units, 2.71 V RMS for the Zen DAC, and 1.39V RMS for the S8. This would give us the following at 300 ohm:

iFi Zen DAC: 24.53 mW @ 300 ohm
Hidizs S8: 6.4mW @ 300 ohm

u/raistlin65 's position is that the Zen DAC and the S8 output the same power at 300 ohm, the 14mW listed in the Distortion chart @ 300 ohm.

My position is that the Distortion charts are conveying that @ 300 ohms, the S8 would have to output 14mW in order to start distorting/clipping, and since the unit can only do 6.4mW, that it will not clip at all. In retrospect, the Zen DAC is capable of outputting 24.5mW @ 300, and will clip/distort when the amp achieves 14mW output or higher.

I am hoping someone here, preferably @amirm , could clarify on the information, and verify if either of us are correct, and settle this debate.

Amir tested both. The S8 clipped @300ohm with 14mw

The Zen clipped @300ohm with 13mw with power match enabled, 4mw without

Chastity23

Amir tested both. The S8 clipped @300ohm with 14mw

The Zen clipped @300ohm with 13mw with power match enabled, 4mw without
So the 14mW and 13mW refers to the point where they clip, and not total power output capacity of the hardware? u/raistlin65 keeps on hammering that the power listed indicates max power output @ 300 ohm, and will not let up on this. He has claimed multiple times that the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro and the iFi Zen DAC have the same power output at 300 ohm based on those charts. (And he's so thicc about it, even after I showed him the math above)

Top Bottom