• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz SR6014 AVR Review

Gedeon

Forum Donor
Thinking it over... the problem is I need the input to run through the DAC in the SR6011 because of Auddssey. The only way I can compare is without Auddssey and with - the bass is going to be a dead give away and/or make the CD input way worse anyway. Since I only run room correction to 250hz - I could compute some filters with REW - but it's such a big project.

Really frustrating this - I thought I was done with any future AVR purchasing. I've been more sensible recently - if I don't hear an issue then so be it - but this has got my OCD on audio going again!

Is there a psycho-acoustic model of the perceptability of SINAD? Could I model it over a pair of headphones - i.e. chose an ideal headphone DAC and artificially introduce SINAD at higher levels until I can notice it? If the Marantz's SINAD is lower than the test over headphones then so be it.

In AVRs, the main strong point from SQ perspective, are their Room EQ features and the subwoofer channel. In such scenary the safest way to get the cleanest sound is through digital inputs or the integrated DLNA player. Analog inputs would be transformed to digital, no way that could improve the original source.

That's why I ask @amirm for a SINAD test with those features enabled (bass management, DSP ... EQ...) when feeding HDMI signal.

I really wonder why that test can't be added.

I do think it could be way more useful for users than coax or toslink tests (which are obviously good to have anyway).

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm a 6014 owner using it entirely for multichannel in a 5.2 format, all external hypex nc502mp amplification and self powered subs.
It actually sounds pretty great to my ears.
Practical question- how much is a down mix to 5 channel hurting me? What kind of SINAD is coming out of my center channel rca out in 5 channel simultaneous mode? I bet that's a more frequent case for this unit than stereo.
Would I actually hear a noticeable difference were I to move to the best testing unit for multichannel? (HTP-1?)
In theory it should be 9.2 so @amirm what if you try and run it in 9.1 instead of 7.1 because you are still not making use of the other two? My guess is it's either stereo or any number of channels, it's only the down mix to stereo that's severely hurt

Vasr

Major Contributor
Prepare for the attack of the Marantz zombies.

It looks to me like Denon has much more of a cult following than Marantz (if AVSForum threads are any indication). i.e., people with strong brand affinity that knee-jerk at anything negative and go to extraordinary lengths to tear down anyone saying anything negative. Perhaps different demographics.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems like a tube sound emulator to me. :)

If that's case they should increase the dosage, as it is now I don't see enough 2nd and 4th (yes there's more 3rd, at least) in the FFT graph.;) But then, I am not a chef, doctor, or pharmacist.:D

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Marantz SR6014 is slightly cheaper than the Denon 4700H and also has less power and performance.

The Marantz is inferior to the Denon:

- Preamp mode has no SINAD benefit (another knock on HDAM)
- Ridiculous slow roll-off filter

+1 the panther should have lost its head over this alone.

I much prefer the design of the Denon over Marantz. The rounded sides and silly porthole with square LCD is clearly visible in the circular opening do not match other components and very few are buying all Marantz.

- Rich

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand the need for differentiation but for heaven's sake, please don't sacrifice performance for it.
100% Agree with this. I can understand the importance for their to be a difference with Denon, but it shouldn't be more noise/distortion and overall worse performance. On AVSForum... marantz is always said to be better for music or more musical (whatever that means). Just seems to prove if something is repeated enough then it becomes “fact” no matter if it is or not...

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
HDAM comes from about 30 years ago when opamps weren't as good for sound as nowadays (or the good ones were more expensive than HDAMs). I don't think they were intended to simulate any particular signature.

Agreed, I don't know about others but I was just trying to be sarcastic about it. To me, if their marketing just want to do something special for the Marantz line, they can go with an IC based HDAM, something like the LM4562 OPA (or anything similar)that has excellent SINAD specs. They can still call it HDAM. If implemented well, it should work as an excellent buffer without SINAD suffering, well, may be just a touch but should do better at > 2V.

LM4562 Datasheet

If they won't do something about it, I hope Denon would, at least for the next flagship model.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
100% Agree with this. I can understand the importance for their to be a difference with Denon, but it shouldn't be more noise/distortion and overall worse performance. On AVSForum... marantz is always said to be better for music or more musical (whatever that means). Just seems to prove if something is repeated enough then it becomes “fact” no matter if it is or not...

I always thought within the D+M line, Denon no longer make prepro, except on their pro gear side, but your AVR-X8500H in preamp mode is probably the best prepro except it does not have balanced I/Os. It is looking even more likely now that I might have guessed right.

So I am going to predict the AVR-X8500H, that has the same AK4490 two channel DACs as the AV8805, will measure at least as good as the AVR-X3600H but likely better. My logic is, the AV8805 measured much better than the AV7705 and now the SR6014, most likely because of the better DAC chip and the much better circuit and component layouts, therefore has much less noise. In that sense, the AVR-X8500H seems to have the best of both world, that is, the same more noise free environment, yet without the Harmonic Distortions Adding Modules:D. Sorry Marantz users, just kidding, no disrespect.., and I am an user too, still have the AV8801.

Last edited:

MarkyM

With which Marantz did you compare the X3400h ?
It was the 5012. I then realized I'd have to go with the 6012 since the 5012 didn't have Audyssey XT32, even though it was more comparable to the 3400 in other ways.

Putter

Forum Donor
The Marantz SR6014 is slightly cheaper than the Denon 4700H and also has less power and performance.

The Marantz is inferior to the Denon:

- Preamp mode has not SINAD benefit (another knock on HDAM)
- Ridiculous slow roll-off filter

+1 the panther should have lost its head over this alone.

I much prefer the design of the Denon over Marantz. The rounded sides and silly porthole with square LCD is clearly visible in the circular opening do not match other components and very few are buying all Marantz.

- Rich
I have a Marantz SR5007 with that 'silly porthole' which had such poor visibility that I was forced to take it out of a living room system and put in a small bedroom and replace it with an obsolete (pre HDMI), but more muscular HK AVR 320. Admittedly that was because it was not 4k compliant with the newer TV, but it's just a stupid styling idea especially when you consider equivalent Denon's have a full display and the Marantz is a 'premium' brand.

I will say that at the time I purchased it, the equivalent Denon did not have preamp outs, something I consider a necessity given the limited size and multitasking required by even a basic multichannel AV receiver. This is no longer the case as the roughly equivalent Denon 3---- series now have preamp outs.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It was the 5012. I then realized I'd have to go with the 6012 since the 5012 didn't have Audyssey XT32, even though it was more comparable to the 3400 in other ways.

The 3400/3500 are odd, kind of fit between the 5012 and 6012 but closer to the 5012. That oddity has been fixed with the 3600 that is definitely comparable to the 6014.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry Marantz users, just kidding, no disrespect.., and I am an user too, still have the AV8801.

The AV8801 was a total disaster for me. Hiss from the center and rear channels, two separate trigger failures (requiring two United-Radio service trips), and the power receptacle had to be replaced because the mains would hiss when jiggled. The shine-came off that sneaker for me :p

It is reported that they finally fixed the trigger design in the AV8805 but their engineering team can be glacial.
I still remember the United Radio tech asking me if I was plugging my Prius into the trigger for charging.
The second failure happened on power up and you could smell the cooked electronics.

- Rich

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I searched this thread and do not think it has been asked yet so here I go:

It is well understood that if a multi-channel PCM signal is sent to these AVR's AND if a lesser number of channels than in the PCM signal are enabled on the AVR's, performance is seriously degraded.

My question is about bitstream multichannel signals - do these suffer the same fate? For example, if a Dolby 5.1 multi-tone signal is sent to the AVR with only two channels enabled on it, is the performance similarly compromised as the PCM case?

I do not know how one would even go about creating a Dolby encoded multi-channel test signal (single- or multi-tone).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sansui AU 9900 : Tuner, Aux1, 2, Tape Monitor = 130mV
That is an integrated amplifier with a pre-amp. It is not something people usually hook up to the pre-out in the AVR. A power-amp is used with the AVR being the pre-amp.

Todd74

Am I reading this correctly that we’re mostly screwed if wanting to add external amplification beyond the fronts?

Amir, did you happen to give the 6014 a listen during testing?

Top Bottom