• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz SR6014 AVR Review

rxp

Big thanks for this, have the SR6012 and SR6011. SR6011 is in my office where I do more critical listening - so I'll be flipping to CD input fed by a Behringer UMC202HD I have for recording use - damn thing needs 6.35mm mono plugs though so I ordered those. I'll report back on any perceptual differences.

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
To my opinion you should have investigated more on the drop of sinad listening from heos and not using pure direct mode. Because in pure direct mode you loose the subwoofer and audissey eq so most of people will use heos with other modes (I use stereo mode). Maybe you had m-dax on?

Maybe I should rather use a chromecast plugged into cd input?

Phone > CCA (Stream) > AVR Optical
Phone > AVR HEOS Streamer

No difference perceived.

Phone > CCA (Stream) > D50 Optical > AVR Amp Only, this is clearly better, I can do this blind

Milesian

Just looking at the back of any modern AV Receiver makes me nauseous. More KICK than KISS, ie. Keep It Complicated Kiddo.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
1) @amirm thanks for putting the volume level in the graph next to the volts for preamp measurements

2) My decision to buy nothing before an ASR review is paying off. I will continue to suffer with my Yamaha RX-A3060 until a 11.2 AVR comes along that gets a recommendation (yes, I know this Marantz is only 9.2)

My wait continues.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Most power amps I've used over the years are rated for full power either at 0.775V or 1V
What have you used? NAD wants 1.1 -1.5 volts; Emotiva wants 1.5 volts; Monoprice wants 1.6 volts. Just curious what you use as amplification.

milosz

Forum Donor
Doesn't measure well. Still probably good enough for a lot of the content that gets played through these AVR's by their buyers. Certainly there ARE users in the multichannel / home theater market that are discriminating and want better performance than this, and there are also pro home theater installers that know you can't get great performance from these mid-fi AVRs and put together good system for their customers even if their customers aren't conversant with the technical aspects. But there are MANY users who would find this AVR fits their needs. They DESERVE better for the money they are paying, even if they don't know that. It's a shame that these manufacturers aren't serving their customers better, even those who don't know any better.

scooter

Forum Donor
Best performance is achieved at just 0.7 volts. Hard to find a powerful external amplifier that is happy with just that much output.
Many thanks for another honest review Amir.
I see SINAD reaches 96 dB at 0.7 volts, AVR has an analog input sensitivity of 200 mV, does it mean that an internal amplifier can easily reach its maximum output at lower volume setting when the DAC outputs 0.7 V? Thus staying in a gold spot?
Do you remember a similar behavior when measuring Yamaha AVR?

An ideal filter would sharply go down where the vertical red line is. The filter used in this AVR basically ignores the sampling theorem and has the slowest filter you can imagine. Now, the problems it creates are in ultrasonic range so maybe we can ignore that
If a tweeter has a frequency response till 35 kHz, would it suffer from those unwanted energy above 20 kHz (thus wasting amp power)?

scooter

Forum Donor
Marantz specifies all of its amplifier channels as 110W at 8 ohms. Does it mean that it is capable to provide the same if all channels are connected to some dummy 8 ohms resistive loads for example?

raindance

Major Contributor
Looks like people are getting confused about the CD input. It's only not digitized in pure direct mode, is my understanding, which applies to any analog input. Am I right? I have a couple of the slimline Marantz receivers in my home.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Marantz specifies all of its amplifier channels as 110W at 8 ohms. Does it mean that it is capable to provide the same if all channels are connected to some dummy 8 ohms resistive loads for example?
Marantz historically has an 70% gaurentee for 5.1. Meaning if it’s 100W for stereo, it’s at least 70W for 5ch; they have no gaurentee for 7/9 channels.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So HDAMs don't help to improve any measurement... ouch!!

I think it does help in the sense that SINAD made a little less difference with the amps remain connected, so I assume it not only act as buffer for better match with relatively low input impedance power amps, but also provide some sort of barrier to prevent the bad effects from the power amp when it clips. But overall, no I definitely don't want HDAM in the path if it adds so much distortions to the signal path.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like people are getting confused about the CD input. It's only not digitized in pure direct mode, is my understanding, which applies to any analog input. Am I right? I have a couple of the slimline Marantz receivers in my home.

I would agree, and I think all of those analog inputs would get digitize if Amir select stereo with subwoofer "On" or, Audyssey "On", or both "On. If I am right about that, then Denon/Marantz are very smart, they could have route all analog input through the ADC>DSP>DAC path in Stereo mode regardless. If Amir can just do another test, by trying turn on the subwoofer and Audyssey, we can confirm if my theory is right.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Big thanks for this, have the SR6012 and SR6011. SR6011 is in my office where I do more critical listening - so I'll be flipping to CD input fed by a Behringer UMC202HD I have for recording use - damn thing needs 6.35mm mono plugs though so I ordered those. I'll report back on any perceptual differences.

Please do
1) @amirm thanks for putting the volume level in the graph next to the volts for preamp measurements

2) My decision to buy nothing before an ASR review is paying off. I will continue to suffer with my Yamaha RX-A3060 until a 11.2 AVR comes along that gets a recommendation (yes, I know this Marantz is only 9.2)

My wait continues.

Why are you suffering? I think the 3060 is a very good one. Would you not consider the X6700H then?

Last edited:

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Please do

Where are you suffering? I think the 3060 is a very good one. Would you not consider the X6700H then?
The 3060 is a good AVR, as far as AVR’s go. No, I wouldn’t consider the X6700H, until Denon can turn off the front 3 channels for outboard amplification. That, plus my next AVR will have a SINAD over 100. Until then the 3060 stays.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The 3060 is a good AVR, as far as AVR’s go. No, I wouldn’t consider the X6700H, until Denon can turn off the front 3 channels for outboard amplification. That, plus my next AVR will have a SINAD over 100. Until then the 3060 stays.

Okay got it, you are one of those who want to use some of the internal amps right?

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Okay got it, you are one of those who want to use some of the internal amps right?
Denon’s amps are definitely better than Yamaha’s, so I’m leaning heavily towards their product line. I’m more than happy to let the AVR handle surround and ceiling duty, eq and all preamp requirements, and help it out by getting a good 3 channel amp. Just remembered, Denon needs to deal with the heat issue @amirm has noticed on all 3 of his Denon/Marantz reviews. That worries me.

Top Bottom