• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

chlipong

For French people, brand new Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro 250 ohms for 389€ at Bax Music with free GLS shipping (2 days delivery), not a crazy sale but worth mentioning.
2 years warranty from the manufacturer. I don't know if the 5 years warranty from the seller works for this headphone.

Veri

Master Contributor
For French people, brand new Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro 250 ohms for 389€ at Bax Music with free GLS shipping (2 days delivery), not a crazy sale but worth mentioning.
2 years warranty from the manufacturer. I don't know if the 5 years warranty from the seller works for this headphone.
that's pretty good!

chlipong

I forgot to mention that there are very good prices on Triangle loudspeakers at Sonor Plus online shop (based in France).
There was a coupon code "15REMISE" that ended yesterday and only found out this night at past 02:00 AM but I was able to use it though.
For exemple, a new pair of Triangle Comete EZ walnut (the least expensive finish on this online shop) are 510€. With 15$ off the pair was 433€, for comparison a pair of Triangle Borea BR03 are 399€ about everywhere here.

BUT, the seller (owner) told me that he still can reduce the price if you ask for, so be quick, you can reach him by chat ("En ligne") that is in the bottom right corner on the store webpage.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Nintronics has some good deals on Revel M105 and M106's if you are from the UK or Europe. I had them shipped to The Netherlands, which was still a lot cheaper than the best offer I could get here (I saved a little over €750!). Also several other deals:

https://nintronics.co.uk/blog/post/covid19-update.html

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm getting a lot of hiss with AES/SPDIF input, with and without an ohm adapter... And even worse hiss when anything is attached to the AES output. This is from the cheapo Amazon SPDIF out, but I experienced the same issue with a miniDSP. Nearfield. Like 2 feet to the front of each speaker. Then I switched to analog. With the cheapo Amazon DAC and the grace balanced DAC, the laptop's whines and whirs from about the same difference are slightly louder. My external monitor is significantly louder with its idle noises. At about 1 foot, the speaker hiss is loud and clear. Not surprising. That's kind of close. Hell, 2 feet is damn close.

That is a surprise! I would expect 705P to hiss less than 708P, just because I'd expect the tweeter amp to be more attenuated. I wonder if manufacturing variances are to blame here.

I broke down and bought an A-stock set of 708P (before the recent return of the B-stock sale, sigh), but due to WFH and teaching kindergarten for the last three weeks just this week found time to set them up. (Alas, I like living with my wife and daughters, so they won't be staying up...) Mine at least are the opposite of your 705Ps. From the digital input (miniDSP SHD Studio, 10' Monoprice AES cables) hiss is negligble. From the analog input (an SMSL M300 measured by Dr. David Rich to have an SNR of 123dB, same 10' Monoprice AES cables) hiss is higher than from AES, and higher than Neumann KH 80 DSP. I don't consider it problematic, because they're just too big to be listened to in close proximity.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is a surprise! I would expect 705P to hiss less than 708P, just because I'd expect the tweeter amp to be more attenuated. I wonder if manufacturing variances are to blame here.

I broke down and bought an A-stock set of 708P (before the recent return of the B-stock sale, sigh), but due to WFH and teaching kindergarten for the last three weeks just this week found time to set them up. (Alas, I like living with my wife and daughters, so they won't be staying up...) Mine at least are the opposite of your 705Ps. From the digital input (miniDSP SHD Studio, 10' Monoprice AES cables) hiss is negligble. From the analog input (an SMSL M300 measured by Dr. David Rich to have an SNR of 123dB, same 10' Monoprice AES cables) hiss is higher than from AES, and higher than Neumann KH 80 DSP. I don't consider it problematic, because they're just too big to be listened to in close proximity.

My 705p are loud with AES and quiet with analog input. My 708p are quiet with AES and I've never tried analog input.
There are definitely some variances. I had three 705p. One was extremely loud compared to the other two. Of the two I kept, one is OK alone, but if I bridge to the other via AES, it's loud. The other is a bit loud on its own and really bad when bridge to the other.

@dreite said there were termination issues with the JBL 7 series on AES. Maybe we can fix it?

D

Deleted member 2944

I don't find the hiss of the speakers obtrusive at all. In any case, I doubt hiss has anything to do with the improper termination scheme when using the AES input.
The termination scheme is not worth investigating too much because almost all users would be using just two speakers and most digital sources (even lower (consumer) level ones) should work acceptably with the 55 ohm termination.

Dave.

Tks

Major Contributor
Drop has reduced the price of their 789 amp by $100, now $299 - https://drop.com/buy/drop-thx-aaa-789-linear-amplifier/talk#discussions

Great news. Though anyone that knows the history will see this for the pretty feeble message that it is, when it's nothing more than hands being forced.. They were $350, up to $400 when demand hit, and now $300 after competition moved in.

I generally like companies that are aware of whats going on, and update accordingly. But these hashed corporate replies are just cringy.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer

Tks

Major Contributor
I wonder if this price drop -- along with the release of Topping's A90 -- will affect the price of the Monoprice THX 887 ...

I'd say the virus was more the tipping point for the 789. The 887 may drop depending on the A90's price (which I don't see going for less than $500 tbh, if so, then all the better). Though how aware is monoprice to developments of competition? Or are they one of those companies that release a product that stays costing more than a recent one they release that performs better?

Veri

Master Contributor
I'd say the virus was more the tipping point for the 789. The 887 may drop depending on the A90's price (which I don't see going for less than $500 tbh, if so, then all the better). Though how aware is monoprice to developments of competition? Or are they one of those companies that release a product that stays costing more than a recent one they release that performs better?
They sometimes do sales, especially when some stuff does not sell well, but that's it I think.

Mocs123

Forum Donor
If this is a permanent price drop it could lower the SMSL SP-200 pricing too as that would put it only $10 cheaper than the Drop unit.

Top Bottom