• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Forcing myself not to return the 705p pair and buy another 708p pair.

Also moving the 705p out of the living room and to my work from home desk soon. Now I need another sub...

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Forcing myself not to return the 705p pair and buy another 708p pair.

Also moving the 705p out of the living room and to my work from home desk soon. Now I need another sub...

I am also wondering if the 708p is significantly better than the 705p

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

It handles higher spl output more readily...but it is hard to hear an obvious difference at normal volumes to me...

Those little 705's are remarkable for their size.

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It handles higher spl output more readily...but it is hard to hear an obvious difference at normal volumes to me...

Do you think 708 has a larger "image"? Or very similar to 705p?

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
705p and 708p image are very similar. 705p can't handle the same output, as BDWoody said. Either for near field. 708p for mid or far field. at moderate volume at any distance, I bet I couldn't tell the difference. 708p are much bigger.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
[QUOTE="BDWoody, post: 361706, member: 5463"

How's the hiss?[/QUOTE]

INTERESTING QUESTION!

I'm getting a lot of hiss with AES/SPDIF input, with and without an ohm adapter... And even worse hiss when anything is attached to the AES output. This is from the cheapo Amazon SPDIF out, but I experienced the same issue with a miniDSP. Nearfield. Like 2 feet to the front of each speaker. Then I switched to analog. With the cheapo Amazon DAC and the grace balanced DAC, the laptop's whines and whirs from about the same difference are slightly louder. My external monitor is significantly louder with its idle noises. At about 1 foot, the speaker hiss is loud and clear. Not surprising. That's kind of close. Hell, 2 feet is damn close.

So I think these 705p need to be at about 5 feet to use comfortably with AES input. 2 feet with analog.

My 708p exhibit some hiss too, on AES, but significantly less. I haven't ever tried them analog.

And on analog, at 2 feet, I'm hearing details in the mix I've never heard before, probably because the room reflections smushed them out, while. I've never listened this nearfield before.

These things are fucking profound.

gvl

Major Contributor
5 feet... At 3 feet and night-time background volume level music listening while reading the internets is probably a wrong use-case for these.

Siwel

Forum Donor
gvl said:
Can this be used as active x-over?
It is an active crossover with delays and eq. The box also has an auto eq function, will handle 2 or 3 way systems.

AVAILABLE INPUT PROCESSING
  • dbx Compression
  • AFS™ (Advanced Feedback Suppression)
  • Graphic EQ
  • 8-Band Parametric EQ (adjusted when using the AutoEQ)
  • Subharmonic Synthesis
AVAILABLE OUTPUT PROCESSING
  • Crossover (supports full range, 2-way, and 3-way systems)
  • 8-Band Parametric EQs (used for speaker tunings)
  • dbx Limiting
  • Driver Alignment Delays

Last edited:

esm

Forum Donor
Looks like Drop has Sony WH-1000XM3s up for $285; it's not an earth-shattering deal, but I assume there's at least a few folks here who are suddenly finding themselves working from home right now. (The noise cancelling on these is astoundingly good, and the bluetooth range covers my apartment well enough that my connections don't drop, so I'm a happy owner.)

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Crown Audio XLi 1500 is $169 at B&H Photo, down from $339.

This is the bigger brother (450W @ 4Ω) of the Crown XLi 800 that Amir reviewed. Nothing to get excited about but may be worth it at that price depending on your application.

Conclusions
Crown advertises the XLi 800 as a PA (Public Address) amplifier and that is what it is. Distortion and noise is kept in check just enough to do the job with tons of power for so little money. I suspect it is reliably too given the dual fans to keep it cool. And the market it is being sold into.

For hi-fi use, it is not something I would consider to drive full-range speakers. For subwoofer or active woofer duty, it would be fine.

As it is, I can't recommend the XLi 800.

Top Bottom