• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

wyup

Moreover in some cases with hardware volume buttons steps are different. And this is most annoying. Quote myself:
As far as I know, hardware volume control is digital on dongles so it is no better than software. I would leave 100% on hardware and just control by software player or OS, which is usually more precise. Hardware control would make more sense if it were an analog potentiometer.

minimalist

Even with no load connected to the RCAs, the Tempotec is immediately recognized. However, if nothing is inserted in the 3.5mm jack, it is not recognized.

I thought that the requirement to connect a headphone to the output before the input is connected to a USB port might have to do with sensing the impedance presented by the load before the unit fully powers up and establishes a connection over USB. However, that's obviously not the case.
I've seen that behaviour with the Apple USB dongle when I connect a stereo cable (3-pin) to the dongle. It detects that MIC and GND are shorted. No mechanical switch involved.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've seen that behaviour with the Apple USB dongle when I connect a stereo cable (3-pin) to the dongle. It detects that MIC and GND are shorted. No mechanical switch involved.

Yeah, that would seem to be the case, but consider what I just confirmed using a TRRS extension cable:

I plugged the Sonata HD Pro back into a USB port on my PC with nothing connected to its output, and it was not recognized. I then plugged in that TRRS extension cable with nothing else connected to the jack on the other end--which in theory simply adds lengths of wire to the the L, R, MIC, and GND of the jack on the Sonata HD Pro, correct? My PC still recognized the Sonata HD Pro as soon as the TRRS plug was inserted.

I have no idea why the device is designed that way, unless it's merely to limit power draw when connected to a phone?

minimalist

Yeah, that would seem to be the case, but consider what I just confirmed using a TRRS extension cable:

I then plugged in that TRRS extension cable with nothing else connected to the jack on the other end--which in theory simply adds lengths of wire to the the L, R, MIC, and GND of the jack on the Sonata HD Pro, correct? My PC still recognized the Sonata HD Pro as soon as the TRRS plug was inserted.
OK, you win ;). That's definitely different to the Apple dongle.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
OK, you win ;). That's definitely different to the Apple dongle.

LOL. I honestly do wonder what's going on in there. There's still no real list of specs on the Tempotec site, or if there was one, it's gone. This table is from the listing for it on their official store on AliExpress:

1583009998883.png

So they say it doesn't support a microphone, and the specs for the S8 on the Hidizs site and elsewhere that I have seen say it has a 3.5mm stereo port.

Weird.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I can confirm that the S8 does not support an inline remote+mic.
It'll be the same for the Sonata Pro.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I can confirm that the S8 does not support an inline remote+mic.
It'll be the same for the Sonata Pro.

Right, which makes me (and probably minimalist, too) wonder how and why it detects the presence of either a TRS or TRRS extension cable inserted into the output jack, even when the extension isn't connected to anything else.

MDZPNMD

Anyone got ideas on how to solve the "click sound" when there is no sound issue if you use an rca cable?

Atm I solved it using a headphone splitter plugged in the S8 with 1 side plugged into the rca cable connecting the S8 to my amp and the other side connecting the splitter to a pair of cheap earphones to eliminate the "clicking sound" in between songs etc..

I'd be glad for any help

Edit: So an attentuator cable solves the issue, now I only have to figure out how little attentuation is needed. Solderdudes attentuation cable has already too much attentuation.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone managed to play DSD256 on Win10 using JRiver or foobar? If yes, what settings were used (ASIO or WASAPI, DoP or native, drivers, etc)?
My maximum is DSD128 here, while SMSL Idea went to DSD256 without problems.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Does anyone managed to play DSD256 on Win10 using JRiver or foobar? If yes, what settings were used (ASIO, WASAPI, drivers, etc)?
The DSD256 seems to be false advertising. Mine also tops out at 128.

limon7

Does anyone managed to play DSD256 on Win10 using JRiver or foobar? If yes, what settings were used (ASIO or WASAPI, DoP or native, drivers, etc)?

The DSD support should be: DSD 128(DOP + Native) / DSD 256(Native)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The DSD support should be: DSD 128(DOP + Native) / DSD 256(Native)
Well there is no way I could make DSD 256 native work, did you?

limon7

Well there is no way I could make DSD 256 native work, did you?

I don't have it so I'm not sure. But some chinese Sonata HD Pro users comfirmed DSD 256 works, maybe you need to install the driver of Sonata HD first.

tobes

Thanks for that info @staticV3.
That's a significant advantage to the Meizo dacs for portable use.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

DosThou

Thanks for that info @staticV3.
That's a significant advantage to the Meizo dacs for portable use.
Eh I dunno. Maybe if you listen to music for hours on end when you're up and about and never within a walking distance to an outlet or really need to squeeze that mili wattage. Still wouldn't call it significant though, more like a fair tradeoff for the difference in performance. Meizu definitely wins the portability factor though.

tobes

Meizo Pro technical performance looks adequate for CD/MP3 files and the environments where I'm most likely to use my phone for audio listening.
The superior power management and compact form factor of the Meizo Pro makes it more attractive for my intended use. I've ordered one.
But the S8 looks like a fine device.

Top Bottom