• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

typericey

staticV3

Master Contributor
If this is accurate, the Meizu Pro draws less power, despite additional op amps that the Hidizs S8 doesn't have. I'm not an engineer, so not sure how additional op amps affect current draw.
The Cirrus USB bridge is the deciding factor here. Ivan also tried to implement it in his 9038S and D, but the Cirrus spokesman in China basically told him to pay him thousands or he could f*ck right off.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
I thought that was something that happened, but I was clearly wrong. Sorry for the misinformation!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"Hidizs Sonate HD DAC Cable 1st&2nd Windows Driver Upgrade"

They share the same ASIO driver

I did not find any driver dll or setup in this zip file, only a setup with some firmware update instructions.
I have sent an email to Hidizs anyway, let's see.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I did not find any driver dll or setup in this zip file, only a setup with some firmware update instructions.
I have sent an email to Hidizs anyway, let's see.

If you are looking for an ASIO driver that supports the S8, try this:

http://www.tempotec.com.cn/en/3-Support/index.htm

At the bottom, download this:

1584372858245.png

Using that driver and ASIO is the only way I can get the Sonata HD Pro to play non 44.1/16 files in Foobar.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are looking for an ASIO driver that supports the S8, try this:

http://www.tempotec.com.cn/en/3-Support/index.htm

At the bottom, download this:

View attachment 54561

Using that driver and ASIO is the only way I can get the Sonata HD Pro to play non 44.1/16 files in Foobar.

Thank you very much! :D

The driver installs this Tempotec control panel where it displays all the ASIO information. Now JRiver + ASIO using upsampling to DSD256 native works fine. Had to re-apply the Equalizer APO settings to this new "device" (driver) and a reboot and it is fine.

S8 ASIO.png

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Thank you very much! :D

The driver installs this Tempotec control panel where it displays all the ASIO information. Now JRiver + ASIO using upsampling to DSD256 native works fine. Had to re-apply the Equalizer APO settings to this new "device" (driver) and a reboot and it is fine.

I always find it a little unsettling to install a driver that "should work" with a device when it's not specifically listed for the device, but with all indications so far that the USB function of several of these Hidizs/Tempotec devices is the same, I was pretty sure that it would work for you.

The device does have to be actively playing for you to see that info at the bottom, but it seems as if there is not 100% correlation to what is highlighted in the top or middle portions and what the bottom line in red shows the device is currently running.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would guess the upper part shows how Windows is set-up in Control Panel and indeed I set it that way, and the bottom part only works when using ASIO playback, and DSD256 and 100 ms are the settings I use with JRiver, and it says 24 bits because it must be padding with zeroes to fill the 32 bit packets. JRiver says the same.

JRIver.PNG

Last edited:

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I would guess the upper part shows how Windows is set-up in Control Panel and indeed I set it that way, and the bottom part only works when using ASIO playback, and DSD256 and 100 ms are the settings I use with JRiver, and it says 24 bits because it must be padding with zeroes to fill the 32 bit packets. JRiver says the same.

View attachment 54565

My Win10 is set up to default to 44.1/16. When playing any PCM format file in Foobar, I can click and highlight anything in the top section and it remains highlighted...any sample rate or bit depth. The bottom section always shows PCM and 24 bits, with only the sample rate changing if I am playing a >44.1 file.

Foobar requires the user to set the bit depth when running in WASAPI, but if an ASIO output is selected, that grays out and shows "Output data format will be chosen automatically for the selected device" as it always has for me when using an interface with native ASIO drivers or ASIO4ALL (as far as I recall.)

Neither the "play" or "record" buttons at the top of the ASIO control panel window seem to do anything.

It's bizarre, but it is the only way I can play anything other than 44.1/16 files with Foobar and the Sonata HD Pro.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The top part of the TempoTec control panel controls the Windows audio device's Properties - Advanced - Standard Format dropdown. I set it to maximum (384/32).

On foobar2000 using the TempoTec drivers I managed to get it working 24/96 file output to WASAPI push output data format 32 bit.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
The top part of the TempoTec control panel controls the Windows audio device's Properties - Advanced - Standard Format dropdown. I set it to maximum (384/32).

On foobar2000 using the TempoTec drivers I managed to get it working 24/96 file output to WASAPI push output data format 32 bit.

Excellent find! I confirmed that it works in WASAPI push at anything up to 192/24 as long as the top part of that control panel is set equal to or higher sample rate and bit depth for the file being played in Foobar2000. Still only works at 44.1/16 in event mode, though.

I didn't think that using the top part of the HD Pro control panel would make a difference with WASAPI, because I allowed exclusive mode for all of the sound devices I have ever attached to my PC, and my understanding was that in exclusive mode, the app settings always overrode the Win...Standard Format setting.

Last edited:

Lucco

Hello, Friends.

(first thing first, sorry for my bad English).

Which DAC/Amplifier is the best option for a KZ KSX:
- Meizu DAC Pro (U$38) - https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/4000152039684.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.43303c00FuH7lS&mp=1
- Hidizs S8 (U$80) - https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/4000560966739.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.43303c00FuH7lS&mp=1
- Hidizs Sonata S3 (U$45) - https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/4000548563490.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.43303c00FuH7lS&mp=1
- Tempotec Sonata HD Pro (U$38) - https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/4000628268773.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.43303c00FuH7lS&mp=1

If the Hidizs S8 sound quality is really batter than the others I do not care to pay a little bit more.

Best Regards

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, Friends.

(first thing first, sorry for my bad English).

Which DAC/Amplifier is the best option for a KZ KSX:
- Meizu DAC Pro (U$38) - https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/4000152039684.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.43303c00FuH7lS&mp=1
- Hidizs S8 (U$80) - https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/4000560966739.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.43303c00FuH7lS&mp=1
- Hidizs Sonata S3 (U$45) - https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/4000548563490.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.43303c00FuH7lS&mp=1
- Tempotec Sonata HD Pro (U$38) - https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/4000628268773.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.43303c00FuH7lS&mp=1

If the Hidizs S8 sound quality is really batter than the others I do not care to pay a little bit more.

Best Regards
The tempotec sonata HD Pro is the same internally and functionally as the s8. After that, take your pick

Lucco

The tempotec sonata HD Pro is the same internally and functionally as the s8. After that, take your pick

All the internal components are EXACTLY the same? or just the DAC chip is the same?
The graphs and the sound quality are EXACTLY the same too?

*Sorry for the beginner question, but I'm not understanding some technical specifications in the previous comments

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All the internal components are EXACTLY the same? or just the DAC chip is the same?

*Sorry for the beginner question, but I'm not understanding some technical specifications in the previous comments
Search a few pages back for measurements comparing both, and you will see they measure the same.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

This is my understanding from earlier posts on this thread and elsewhere. Identical electrically speaking. Same additional cables etc in the box too.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor

Same PCB with everything on it.

Lucco

Wow, very impressive. The same excellent product at half the price :D.
Thank you so much friends

Top Bottom