• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 284 58.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 176 36.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 3.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do TEKTON act like mobsters ?
Given that virtually all manufacturers and producers accept tests, analyses, opinions... (cars, TVs, smartphones..., food...), those who refuse to do so (=threat) are acting like mafiosi.
That's all there is to it !
The question is if there is a vendetta<?>

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Here is where I believe the main disconnect is - Amir and Erin like accurate flat response speakers. The m lores are not designed to be, there used to be or is a model called the lore reference that was supposedly accurate, but less preferred by some to the response of the m lore. Amir doesn’t like a lot of things like the original Kef ls-50s, but likes the metas. Most I know who own or listen to both can eq the ls50s to sound the same, or prefer the ogs. Sean olive and Harmon have their favorite non linear tweaks, why can’t Tekton have theirs? Amir, why not just show the data, and let the readers decide? Why the I recommend, or I don’t recommend comments, when surely you are aware others have different hearing preferences than you? When did buying an AP and Klippel become the “I am now the god of what gear sounds good, and what gear will sound like crap?”
See my post #1962. He could so easily have taken that route, and I believe many in this industry would. He would have gained some respect for that, and maybe even a few new buyers, but no, for some reason he can't do that.

kschmit2

So, are those paints actually sourced from the car companies? Otherwise I still think it's all on legally shaky ground, trademark-wise...

Looking before shooting my mouth off again. https://everestautomotivemarket.com/custom-mixed-paint/ferrari/page-2/ Obviously this is not some fly-by-night thing. I guess this usage must be tolerated and/or licensed because these are actually for matching the original paint for each of these models?

I am not sure where this would leave Eric's use of the Ferrari name. If he was just calling a random red paint "ferrari red" that would be a clear infringement, but if it's licensed in some way, I wouldn't be sure at all that Ferrari could or would want to stop that usage. I am not sure that they wouldn't, either. Oh well, maybe this was a rare false positive on Eric doing something wrong.

I was all ready to email lawyers and tattle, but thanks to @Danny23's comment it doesn't seem as clear cut to me.

Here's Ferrari's official position:

Simply report your findings, with proper documentation, specifically outlining EA's behaviour that puts an extra negative spin on associating the name of Ferrari with EA's speaker company. Add a Link to this thread etc.

Lamborghini is a member of REACT: https://www.react.org/members/

Don't know the specifics about Maserati's or Lamborghini's policies, but usually written consent or even a specific contract are required when you advertize or associate your products with the trademark or wordmark of a registered Trademark.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Was reviewing some of this growing thread and realized I missed that the designer claimed Amir’s impedance measurement was wrong too. This seems very unlikely. Lacking any specifics, am just going to add it to the list of his deflections. Not sure how Amir can be expected to judge the impedance measurement accuracy without a known baseline.

Wonder who might be in a position to supply a baseline measurement for a Tekton speaker?;)

Esprit

Forum Donor
You mean like this?
Where is the button to activate the comparison?
Here it doesn't work either on Chrome or Safari.
Thank you
A68657D6-39D9-471B-B7CC-C4D91698874C.jpeg

Sokel

Master Contributor
Where is the button to activate the comparison?
Here it doesn't work either on Chrome or Safari.
Thank you
View attachment 364254
Your page appears different,you don't need a button normally:

button.PNG

I just choose "compare",put any speaker I want and it appears at the bottom in real time.

Edit:I use firefox

tomtoo

Major Contributor
+
Was reviewing some of this growing thread and realized I missed that the designer claimed Amir’s impedance measurement was wrong too. This seems very unlikely. Lacking any specifics, am just going to add it to the list of his deflections. Not sure how Amir can be expected to judge the impedance measurement accuracy without a known baseline.

Wonder who might be in a position to supply a baseline measurement for a Tekton speaker?;)

I think tekton just thought the impedance measurements get influenced by the 4 holes. So with the 4 holes they have to be wrong. Ther is never a talk about how much and where they should be wrong just that they are. For me it looks they had no serious measurements to compare.

Last edited:
Honestly, why? What is to be gained other than possibly just more trouble from Mr. Alexander if *anything whatsoever* doesn't please him? Plus, your time is better spent on, well, anything else!
There’s a set of principles at play here. ASR exists for the sole purpose of objective reviews of products and user engagement around those reviews. Objectivity ignores the personality and behaviors of the people involved. It is a matter of character and adherence to these principles that ensures @amirm will continue to review products without regard to whether he likes a given person involved. It’s a nice thing to have, but is not required. And I don’t mean to speak for Amir, I’m simply stating what I sense to be the principles behind this wonderful place.

Circling back to Amir’s proposal, it’s adherence to these principles and character that makes the case for a Right to a Fair Review Society (or whatever that ends up being called), to establish broad principles, ethical behaviors, legal resources and a framework that all stakeholders can work from.

And it’s not just reviewers of AV products who can and should benefit. Such a society can benefit a broader community of reviewers of all sorts, producers who are interested in good faith representations, and consumers who rely upon the reviews in their decision making.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
There’s a set of principles at play here. ASR exists for the sole purpose of objective reviews of products and user engagement around those reviews. Objectivity ignores the personality and behaviors of the people involved. It is a matter of character and adherence to these principles that ensures @amirm will continue to review products without regard to whether he likes a given person involved. It’s a nice thing to have, but is not required. And I don’t mean to speak for Amir, I’m simply stating what I sense to be the principles behind this wonderful place.

Circling back to Amir’s proposal, it’s adherence to these principles and character that makes the case for a Right to a Fair Review Society (or whatever that ends up being called), to establish broad principles, ethical behaviors, legal resources and a framework that all stakeholders can work from.

And it’s not just reviewers of AV products who can and should benefit. Such a society can benefit a broader community of reviewers of all sorts, producers who are interested in good faith representations, and consumers who rely upon the reviews in their decision making.
Yes, I get the principles, but I just think in this case it would waste too much of Amir's time, on top of the amount he's already wasted (or spent, if you think the outcome will eventually make it worthwhile).

DanielT

Major Contributor
But aside from Mr. EA's actions (which is not the easiest thing to ignore), there is something refreshing about speakers that remind me of Flåklypa.
More of everything just about everywhere. Not beautiful (although as a child I thought Flåklypa was damn cool ;))but different in appearance compared to practically all other commercial speakers (or cars as in the case with Flåklypa).:)

The Pinchcliffe Grand Prix (Norwegian: Flåklypa Grand Prix) is a 1975 Norwegian stop-motion-animated feature film directed by Ivo Caprino. It is based on characters from a series of books by Norwegian cartoonist and author Kjell Aukrust.
Pinchcliffe_Grand_Prix.jpg

_file=Flaklypa_Grand_Prix_16x9_1966284657.jpg&dh=450&dw=800&t=4.jpg

Tekton:
images (5).jpeg

Yes, I get the principles, but I just think in this case it would waste too much of Amir's time, on top of the amount he's already wasted (or spent, if you think the outcome will eventually make it worthwhile).
It’s a fair point, but in my view the overriding priority is to continue to review any product submitted. If consumers receive an objective review, they benefit. It is not a waste of time and resources if the primary beneficiary - consumers - benefit.

I find recent behaviors repugnant, would never seriously consider a purchase, and not only because I find those behaviors repugnant. The designs don’t suit my tastes. And I seek something of a relationship with producers where a major expenditure is involved, so trust is a major factor for me. These recent behaviors preclude any trust - trust being the foundation of lasting, meaningful relationships for me.

But I still want to know how the offerings perform, and to that end, this imbroglio has benefited consumers wonderfully by way of detailed knowledge and understanding of this particular producer.

No doubt the emotional toll on EAC and Amir has been substantial. And users owe them a debt of gratitude for enduring it. But it is not a waste of time, in my view. It’s the opposite.

DanielT

Major Contributor
+

I think tekton just thought the impedance measurements get influenced by the 4 holes. So with the 4 holes they have to be wrong. Ther is never a talk about how much and where they should be wrong just that they are. For me it looks they had no serious measurements to compare.
That thing with the holes and its possible effect on the impedance could have been measured by Eric Alexander himself, so he knew before he started whining about it how it was with that thing.

I think it was the Dayton DATS, which only cost around $130, that Erin used to test the impedance, with the holes plugged vs unplugged that is.

For $130, Eric Alexander could have done it himself.:oops:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-04-17_140340.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-17_140340.jpg
    632 KB · Views: 26

tomtoo

Major Contributor
That thing with the holes and its possible effect on the impedance could have been measured by Eric Alexander himself, so he knew before he started whining about it how it was with that thing.

I think it was the Dayton DATS, which only cost around $130, that Erin used to test the impedance, with the holes plugged vs unplugged that is.

For $130, Eric Alexander could have done it himself.:oops:

Dont think this was what he thought is in his interest.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
So basically EA will get what he's looking for (erm i mean apart from this thread of course ), which is full control on the depiction of his products.

yep....this has been said before. it never was the results for Eric, he just doesn't want them measured.
So the best possible theoretical "punishment" for him would be to put every single speaker of his on the Klipple.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+

Fair point, but without a baseline, Amir was unlikely be able to discern a small variance via his impedance measurement. Even with plugged holes, Erin’s impedance shows comparable BR tuning. As was pointed out earlier, these designs are bass reflex and already have a much bigger hole in the cabinet.:)

So, will still count the impedance as another deflection. Notably am still baffled by the original foot hole claim as it is speculative. Amir’s speaker came from an owner. If the owner mounted the feet, then the holes would be rather small, and the measurement impact would be rather small. Cabinet leaks happen all the time due to loose screws, bad driver gasketing, unsealed joints and other issues. These leaks could affect the tuning, but the effect is harder to judge without possessing the actual speaker.

As I pointed out earlier, if these were not just deflections, EA could have readily shown his design chops by posting his measurements months ago (or at least sharing them with Amir).

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I got contacted as well. :(

---------
Amir,

The image I forwarded to you is provided by Eminence and it's the SPL/frequency response of the 8 driver in the M-Lore.

Thanks for correcting your mistakes. With the corrected listening-axis the step response needs to be published correctly. Please correct the step response to the point of exactly 6.5" above the tweeter so your work reflects the speaker is 'mechanically time-aligned.

Sincerely,

Eric Alexander
President
Tekton Design, LLC

---

My answer to him:

---
I didn’t correct any mistakes. The manual for your speaker says tweeter is the listening axis, not the woofer. And regardless, I stated the measurements were relative to tweeter axis and they were.

While I could computationally change the listening axis, I can’t do that for step response as that is measured separately. I will need to remeasure the speaker. Why don’t you give me that measurement and I post it in the review?

Amir

----

Told you guys we were not done....
So he provided you with Eminences raw driver measurements?

FFS, if I was Eminence I'd sue this guy, imagine having your company getting dragged into this whole mess.

Top Bottom