• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVRs vs Integrated stereo Amplifiers for 2 channel music

Golf

I don’t condemn »Made in China« as such. But since there are brands like Denon, assembling their devices from a certain price level upwards not in China but in Japan, I have problems ignoring that.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What do you mean?

1708210608931.gif

I don’t condemn »Made in China« as such. But since there are brands like Denon, assembling their devices from a certain price level upwards not in China but in Japan, I have problems ignoring that.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Agree.
$1400 gets you a factory refurb Model 40n that’s made in Japan.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We are really looking at a renaissance of AVRs. The Anthem MRX520 was a premium AVR in its era and most AVRs a few years back had trouble with 4 ohm speakers unless it was a formal THX Ultra certification.

The Arcam SA30 is excellent for a *slim* integrated amp. But if you look at it, it’s built like an AVR…

View attachment 350384

The predecessor SR250 was an AVR, but at least you had the benefit of bitstream decoding and a ton of HDMI inputs.

View attachment 350385
Most of the offerings of 2ch integrated amps aren't particularly special in build/guts.

Dumdum

Short answer is no. You will always get better performance upgrading your speakers. I have the SR250 which was measured at Stereophile and has a similar amplifier section but with an older digital front end (more powerful since it had Dolby Volume and TrueHD/DTS). They are both nice options.

Have you already gotten a UMIK test microphone and the Audyssey iOS app? You can use homebrew Ratbuddysey software to fine tune target curve. MultEQ-X is another option if you want to replicate the control of Dirac with your x3700.
MultEQ X doesn’t replicate Dirac and the algorithms and fir, for me I get more control with the Dsp in my car than MultEQ X gives me

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure you can. But why would you do that?

To impress you…

The "brick" in many examples of "high end" "expensive" gear is an oversized toroidal transformer. But the big toroidal transformer based power supply is not inherently better than the SMPS designs used in smaller, lighter, more sensibly priced gear.

The main benefit for the manufacturer is often the weight added which seems to impress a certain breed of audiophile.

Golf

The "brick" in many examples of "high end" "expensive" gear is an oversized toroidal transformer.

Uhm – you are not going to declare Denon’s AVR-X3800H and PMA-1700NE as "high end" "expensive" gear, do you?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Uhm – you are not going to declare Denon’s AVR-X3800H and PMA-1700NE as "high end" "expensive" gear, do you?
Now we're into the "all mackerel are fish, but not all fish are mackerel territory. :p

OP
C

CK.

Well, you are in the right place to get those questions answered.

Long story short: people hear differences because they want, very much, to hear differences. And it so happens that our perception when it comes to sound is very easily affected by different biases. And the effect is not subtle, it can be "night and day".
That is a hard pill to swallow given the vast amount of forum posts, reviewers and youtubers but then again there are also many that support your view. It is a very polarizing subject and I hope that someday I will able to experience all this and find out for myself without breaking the bank.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, add a box of fans. You're increasing weight, but at least fans cool off the chips.
There are better ways to add weight and get cooling: old fashioned massive heatsinks. You’ll have to add a lot of fans to seriously affect weight ;) And then best to not connect most of them due to noise :oops:

OP
C

CK.

I have had Accuphase, McIntosh, Marantz Reference SA-10/PM-10, Topping, etc. Just keep your upgrade budget in the bank and make big moves each time with speakers.

What we don’t see on the measurements is the subjective sense of resolution or compression.

Phase matters very little, but particularly in multichannel setups, it may make a difference in some conditions.

Linearity is hinted at with 86 and 96 dB measurements here along with distortion. But the spin here is just as 76 dB.

Then, there is multitone testing for speakers.
Thanks, that's interesting to know.
It just so happens that a few weeks ago I bough Tool's book "Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms" and hopefully this will give me a bit more insight as to what you are saying.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
There are better ways to add weight and get cooling: old fashioned massive heatsinks. You’ll have to add a lot of fans to seriously affect weight ;) And then best to not connect most of them due to noise :oops:
It's a shame I cannot easily mod my amps with watercooling plates like I did with my PC. :D

OP
C

CK.

Largely. But noise at the 1-5W range can also make a difference.

Load dependency also makes a difference.

Economies of scale in my opinion unless you have some sort of complex load where the SA30 might do better.

You can see some measurements between something like a Marantz Model 40 or Model 30 versus a similarly priced AVR from Marantz. You can also see the wide variability in performance of “an AVR.” The X3700H is an unusually good AVR.
Truth is the R3 does dip down to 3 ohms but primarily in the bass region. Having a sub I think covers this part. The denon is not rating at 4 ohms although amir tested this with good results. All I know is that the arcam is rated to 4 ohms but not sure how much impact will this have. Indeed we cannot generalise this question, we are comparing specificaly the denon 3700h.

OP
C

CK.

I've compared my 2ch separates to my avrs "for music" and find the feature set of the avrs to be more useful, particularly sub integration (and the separates had twice the amp power). The Arcam doesn't provide for a sub particularly. I'd stick to the avr, never understood all the fascination with 2ch integrated amps for the most part....
Indeed, the arcam does have dirac live though. But apart form feature set, did you notice a big audible improvement?

Top Bottom