• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Epos ES 14 N - best passive Speaker in SpiNorama.org so far? (7.4/10 with equalisation without subwoofer)

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We are living in 2023 so we are not limited to static measurements. Also in the end you need no measurements at all to prove audibility (also as measurements will always show some difference if they are detailed enough which doesn't guarantee audibility though) but only a controlled AB(X) listening test either by directly switching capacitors or recording the output of both configurations and play them back with some good headphones. The experience in the audio field is that people claim a lot about hearing small differences but usually fail when it comes to real proof of such.
Can you point out some ABX test results where the listeners failed to notice differences which otherwise they had claimed that they can hear ? I see this statement very often here but without any pointers to any reliable tests where the audiophile group fails.

I am not countering you on your argument but I genuinely need some examples to rub it on the face of people who claim these differences!

dogmamann

Daniel Emonts (Revival/Dynaudio), Mads Buchardt, and other designers have all said the same.
Daniel Emonts (Revival/Dynaudio), Mads Buchardt, and other designers have all said the same.
But look at designers like Andrew jones and designers of KEF, they don’t do it. They rely more on measurments not just handpick parts. So it’s a matter of placebo probably.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you point out some ABX test results where the listeners failed to notice differences which otherwise they had claimed that they can hear ? I see this statement very often here but without any pointers to any reliable tests where the audiophile group fails.

I am not countering you on your argument but I genuinely need some examples to rub it on the face of people who claim these differences!
Here is a list where there are some of such listed, mind you many are in German language

test1223

Not updated in a long time but here are also some results http://djcarlst.provide.net/abx.htm

Sokel

Master Contributor
I don't think you'll find any hobby who someone admits that fails in public talks except for some courageous or the ones who clearly have fun with it.
Pride (of any side and of the wrong type,not like if someone has achieved something significant) is the main poison.
So...

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm and KHF:
Are there any RAW data or do you have to tell the Klippel the smoothing BEFORE the measurement?
Will say: Are the potentiell 1/24 or 1/20 Octave Results lost after the 1/12 Octave measurement?
As I explained, yes. The frequency sweeps have inherent resolution which needs to be high enough. If that is low, no amount of post processing will fix it. Assuming that resolution is high enough, then the Octave value can be changed at will for creating graphs. Otherwise you have to remeasure.

OP
totti1965

totti1965

The directivity isn’t bad, but not stellar either IMO
At least nice and parallel. So, equalisation is more easy and „harmonic“. Equalisation lets spinorama go up from 6.5 to 7.4 E.g. The Neumann KH 150, perhaps to perfect at the beginning, rises only from 6.8 to 7.1
Perhaps the best advise is:
Do some equalisation but keep your hands of the frequency range between 1500 Hz and 2500 Hz!
Both, the of axis spinorama of the Neumann and also that of the Epos are showing there a little valley. And BOTH vendors know exactly what they do!
It is discussed at the beginning of this thread.

OP
totti1965

totti1965

As I explained, yes. The frequency sweeps have inherent resolution which needs to be high enough. If that is low, no amount of post processing will fix it. Assuming that resolution is high enough, then the Octave value can be changed at will for creating graphs. Otherwise you have to remeasure.
So, your resolution was 1.46 Hz -
and @KHF: Can you take a look, what resolution you used when you measured the Epos ES 14 N?
If it is the same, fine resolution, you could provide Pierre from Spinorama with 1/20 Octave smooved data, and there will be some peace here in the Comunity.
Of course a completely new measurement would be totally silly, because 1/12 Octave is damn close to 1/20 Octave, and no one expects that from you.

YSC

Major Contributor
At least nice and parallel. So, equalisation is more easy and „harmonic“. Equalisation lets spinorama go up from 6.5 to 7.4 E.g. The Neumann KH 150, perhaps to perfect at the beginning, rises only from 6.8 to 7.1
Perhaps the best advise is:
Do some equalisation but keep your hands of the frequency range between 1500 Hz and 2500 Hz!
Both, the of axis spinorama of the Neumann and also that of the Epos are showing there a little valley. And BOTH vendors know exactly what they do!
It is discussed at the beginning of this thread.
tbh the earlier link of thrid party measurement this ES14 N have way less neutral on axis, and the directivity mismatch isn't near neumann/genelec level.. it's a good passive, but nothing too spectacular, as others mentioned, that was vendor measurement with more smoothing vs ASR. Erin's data, personally I won't compare the score based on different source, or at least different equipment done measurements, it's good but if I am to select one passive, likely something like march audio sointuva, KEF R3 meta will likely be my take

dogmamann

This is interesting. My main focus is on horn speakers and on nearfield monitors with wave guides.
Can you point me to some examples of horn speakers designed by KHF? I am not familiar with that.
That’s interesting as I have also not seen anything by him. I am familiar with most brands he had before.

dogmamann

Measurements don't look great, but that's expected from a designer who loves Wilson Audio. They don't design accurate speakers either.
Can you elaborate why the measurements aren’t good here? Also, what passive apeakers are better than them and why?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you elaborate why the measurements aren’t good here? Also, what passive apeakers are better than them and why?
Three that I would look at right off the bat are the Kef R3 Meta, the March Audio Sointuva, and the Ascend Sierra LX. Inasmuch as the LX goes for $1400/pr, is made in the US, and has been out there for at least 18 months, it's a mystery to me why a single pair hasn't found its way to either Amir or Erin for review.

dogmamann

Three that I would look at right off the bat are the Kef R3 Meta, the March Audio Sointuva, and the Ascend Sierra LX. Inasmuch as the LX goes for $1400/pr, is made in the US, and has been out there for at least 18 months, it's a mystery to me why a single pair hasn't found its way to either Amir or Erin for review.
Because, he doesn’t want to get bashed by either of them. Neutral - best at ASR and Erin’s. His speaker will loose marks at both places as they are not neutral. Also, this is a small company, so if ASR or Erin says they are bad, it’s obvious that the company will run out of business soon as the influence both has on new Age audio consumers is massive.

I don’t think non neutral speakers are bad.

Freeway

But look at designers like Andrew jones and designers of KEF, they don’t do it. They rely more on measurments not just handpick parts. So it’s a matter of placebo probably.
'just handpick parts' was not stated nor implied.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Because, he doesn’t want to get bashed by either of them. Neutral - best at ASR and Erin’s. His speaker will loose marks at both places as they are not neutral. Also, this is a small company, so if ASR or Erin says they are bad, it’s obvious that the company will run out of business soon as the influence both has on new Age audio consumers is massive.

I don’t think non neutral speakers are bad.
This could be taken to mean that a smaller manufacturer should fear the verdict of Erin or Amir. But perhaps that is what the "new age audio consumer" really relies on. They no longer trust their own judgement, or are too lazy to form their own judgement in the first place. (I don't know if this is true, it's just a thought that comes to mind).

OP
totti1965

totti1965

At least the Ascent Audio Sierra LX is also on my short list. But it‘s cabinet is not as massive as the cabinet of the Epos ES 14 N. And the importance of a massive Speaker cabinet was a kind of awakening experience for me last Saturday at Wilson audio!

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the importance of a massive Speaker cabinet was a kind of awakening experience for me last Saturday at Wilson audio!
I suspect that was more effective marketing than effective engineering.

OP
totti1965

totti1965

tbh the earlier link of thrid party measurement this ES14 N have way less neutral on axis, and the directivity mismatch isn't near neumann/genelec level.
Come on! This „third party measurements“ were from a Czech HiFi magazine. I read a little bit via deepL.
It was more kind of joke and the measurements were from a very long distance made in their hearing room. They said, that it just tells something about the speaker at THEIR listening seat…… Nothing you have to take serious.
The Epos EOS 14 N is a flat speaker. As flat as it can get with a Spinorama ranking of 6.5
But it’s diffraction characteristics (even without waveguide or BECAUSE of the lack of the waveguide) makes it possible to tune it up to 7.4 - more than Neumann KH 150 which is also on my shortlist (as the Ascent Acoustics Sierra LX!).

Top Bottom