• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fiio R7 Android Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 6.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 44 20.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 129 60.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 28 13.0%

• Total voters

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The issue for me is that vertical case format is not nice for me.

milosz

Forum Donor
Still waiting on a Squeezebox 4 with my squeezebox.com bit perfect integration for all major music services.
Squeezebox 4? What? I have a number of Squeezeboxen, but what is Squeezebox 4

jmillar

While nice, that's a lot more shelf space and definitely not a 'desktop' item like this one. And... isn't that basically a sideways mobile phone display ;)
Yes, it is. The Eversolo looks cool (VU meters and all that) but it may lack some room for maneuver on what is essentially a vertical format as some reviewers have pointed out (correct me if I'm wrong). Android apps rely on verticality. Some reviewers have mentioned "screen casting" to your phone (or tablet?). I'd like some comment on "hands on" practical use of both devices (FiiO and Eversolo). The R7 would benefit from "screen casting" to your phone or tablet.
The R7 is "open ended" regarding apps, lesser known streaming providers are right at home here. Eversolo seems to offer whatever their infinite wisdom dictates. There are relatively "obscure" sources such as Idagio or Gaana that streamer builders tend to forget. An Android based device should be "open ended", that's the main asset of the OS, and the R7 delivers on this. I'm currently using an Android 9 (Pie) based device with nary a niggle. The R7 should be good for 5 yrs at least. The alternative I'm contemplating is a dedicated MBAir (or other small laptop)

Last edited:

JRG123

A remote and a SD slot and I'd be interested. Also, I wonder how regular the software updates are because, unless you don't buy an expensive flagship phone with full support, Android is pretty much a defective OS, goes obsolete in around 6 months

D700

Squeezebox 4? What? I have a number of Squeezeboxen, but what is Squeezebox 4
Sorry, that was satire. It was the product Logitech should have released 10 years ago and owned the space. Heck, they could release it now and still own the space in a year. I want a simple streamer, with a simple display for song/artist or album cover (maybe space for some digital vu meters), bit perfect digital output for all major music services and a remote. Then sell integrated iOS/Android/MAC/PC Apps for those that want them.The technology was there 10 years ago for $300.

Heck, I'd thought Apple would have made an iPad Mini dock and a "Cover Flow" app for all that by now...

Apparently streamers are rocket science.

D700

A pipedream about what Logitech could have done, instead of dropping the Squeezebox line.

I will never understand. This was released 13 years ago...has any company matched, let alone surpassed this UI?

img_0191.jpg

Last edited:

Godataloss

I owned this for about a month before returning. I purchased it because the company literature and website state that is is controllable by the Fiio app. I wanted to play local files via an attached hard drive. While the R7 handled pretty much any file format I could throw at it, the Fiio control app does not work to control the unit for local files. This is something that Fiio tech support seems unaware of. They also denied saying it was an advertised function until I sent them a screen shot of their own website. Hunching over the screen is a no go for me. I replaced it with a nice touch screen monitor and NUC for about half the price of the R7.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
Am I understanding correctly that the amp section, which is supposed to be THX AAA only turned in an 80db SINAD? How is that competent or recommended when the final headphone output is 30db+ worse than the DAC section?

I know it has Roon capability and other streamer functionality, but is the amp section really that crippled?

jcarys

Purchase one and drop ship it to Amir?
The last time I bought a Fiio player (the X5 III) I hated it so much that I ended up selling it. The sound quality was fine, but the software ergonomics were a mess and it was not reliable. This was 5 years ago, so I would assume they are much better now. Even so, I'm not going to be the guinea pig to plop down $500 when my Sony (with the 89db sinad) is rocking along perfectly.

bt3

The last time I bought a Fiio player (the X5 III) I hated it so much that I ended up selling it. The sound quality was fine, but the software ergonomics were a mess and it was not reliable. This was 5 years ago, so I would assume they are much better now. Even so, I'm not going to be the guinea pig to plop down $500 when my Sony (with the 89db sinad) is rocking along perfectly.
Which Sony DAP do you own?

dtaylo1066

I voted it a "Fine," which I think it deserves. But I would probably spend the additional $150 and go with the Eversolo. Too bad neither has an analog input. Of course Volumio running on a Tinker Board, which three years ago set me back less than $100, feeding into the DAC of my choice isn't a bad option.

But, overall, it's nice to see Fiio upping their game.

coolajami

I will never understand. This was released 13 years ago...has any company matched, let alone surpassed this UI?

img_0191.jpg
I left speechless, this is near perfect even for today's standards. Of all products Logitech makes, decided to kill THAT?

D700

I left speechless, this is near perfect even for today's standards. Of all products Logitech makes, decided to kill THAT?
Right?

I apologize for the threadjacking…but this really is the bar by which I measure streamers.

Waxx

Major Contributor
Good dac, but bad UI and software. Even my 15 years old cheap Hama streamer is more practical and costed a fraction of it. It's dac is crap but it got a coax sp/dif out so i can fix that.

I'm still waiting for a userfriendly streamer that has a big touchscreen, a OS that can run the usual music apps (Roon, JRiver, streaming services apps, ...) and has good hardware controls for volume and source, an app for phone or tablet to remote control it (or a good solid remote) and can easely connect to external storage where the music is (like a NAS or an other network drive). A dac is not needed as long as it has a digital out (coax, toslink, usb and AES). I don't think that should be so difficult, I have most of this now with a small pc actually, but a dedicated device would be nice.

tjf

Right?

I apologize for the threadjacking…but this really is the bar by which I measure streamers.

Logitech has a penchant for creating and then killing their AV centric products over time (Squeezebox Touch, Harmony Remotes) -- suprised they haven't tried to reenter the streamer market though, considering they can use 3rd party hardware (Stream Unlimited, LinkPlay, etc.) and cash in on the streamer device/streaming speaker market?

I guess Logitech is content with making accessories for the computer/I.T. market.

Keep an eye on Sonos over the next 1-2 years, as they move away (my prediction) from "components" (Port, Amp) and go all in for more speaker products (more "atmos" products, multi channel: soundbars/surrounds/subwoofers), as the Home Integrator/Custom Installer market for their "components" can't supply enough growth for their shareholders, so you'll see more speaker SKUs and the deletion of the components -- and likely becoming an OEM seller of "Powered-by-Sonos" (can I TradeMark that name?) streaming boards for 3rd party electronics vendors that have a C.I. presence (Sonance, Control4, Savant, etc.) to incorporate a Sonos streamer in their audio components marketed for Custom Installation/Integration vendors to put in the Racks of the mechanical rooms of the wealthy...

We may even see "Powered-by-Sonos" streamer modules in other vendors AV components - AVRs, AVPs...

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
@tjf Sonos have been doing the OEM bit for a while with Ikea's Symfonisk line.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...symfonisk-picture-frame-speaker-review.25139/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ins-ikea-symfonisk-lamp-speaker-review.30293/

@D700I I don't think there's a technical reason stopping a developer recreating the player backend and something with skins like JiveLite for Android or iOS. In the Android case you could then run it on this hardware. iPeng probably gets quite close on the iOS side, and given its use in pro audio I suspect bit perfect would be viable. Android introduced a similar API a while back, but it doesn't seem to be widely used, and I don't think SqueezePlayer uses it.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
How is that competent or recommended when the final headphone output is 30db+ worse than the DAC section?
Because it's still competently designed device with shitload of features etc. Not many (or none) devices like this are available, so it brings the value to the market.

Performance is very good, not sota but good enough not to be a problem.
Don't be a victim of 'pointless' sinad numbers!

Top Bottom