• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha AS 3200 does not sound as good as Yamaha r-n2000a

OP
D

dman777

The CDP-779ES is basically a flawless CD player. It will likely outperform any standalone DAC you can think of with Compact Disc. The source is not the issue.

With Yamaha amplifiers, they traditionally became flatter in response and offered better noise and distortion as you moved up the range. That said, both your units are in a similar class and I would expect aligned performance.

I suggest feeding the amplifiers with the fixed output RCA (not the variable) for comparison purposes. The 779 is basically a CDP-X77/777 derivative and a truly excellent player.
You seem to have really accurate knowledge on hifi, since I witnessed everything you said to be true. Have you heard the Techniques r1000? I would like to know how it sounds compared to the Yamaha AS 32000. Not speaking of features, just sound. I've always been curious about the r1000 sound.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, you can try something nice, by bi-wiring the speakers.
If your speakers allow bi-wiring, you can compare only the bass and only the medium & treble separately!
No

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You hit the bullseye on that... the 3200 is really boring. Although, I didn't detect any noise in the 2000a. Maybe a tiny bit of distortion on the 2000a and not the 32000.
Another problem in your thinking. Flat response is not "boring". That is not how it works, it is simply an audiophile myth I believe caused by the feelings associated wit the word "flat" as in "I feel flat".

Also any difference in flatness of response between those two particular amplifiers are likely not audible.

Have you turned off all processing on the Yamaha r-n2000a to ensure it is not altering the sound in some way that you find pleasing?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL love the "differences" perceived in basically the same gear.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
a $4k unit vs. what is supposed to be an $8k unit

as stated before an rca out on that cd player to both amps with some kind of blind test should be funny

i've always thought that with a reference set of speakers like the Salon 2, you could line up the AS1200 vs. AS2200 vs. AS3200 and I doubt there would be a conclusive difference... like proper test thru a switch box, level matched and units behind a curtain

BUT to me an RN2000 is a fine unit but is it 'end game'? is a 3200 end game?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
a blind shootout with the base Yamaha 701/801 vs. any of the AS1200+ series would be funny

Beave

Major Contributor
It has been stated multiple times here in this very thread, but it seems to be overlooked:

The differences you think you hear are likely due to problems with your comparison methodology and not with the actual products.

You MUST LEVEL MATCH for any comparisons between these two amps to be valid.

(Then in addition to level-matching, you really need a way to switch quickly between the two amps. Disconnecting one, connecting the other takes too long. And then, in addition to THAT, you should also compare without knowing which is which.)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
On the other hand - there is absolutely nothing wrong with the original amp. The new and very expensive amp that is not preferred (whatever the validity of that preference) could be resold for a large sum.

I'd suggest to the OP that is the way ahead - probably the only way you will be happy.

Greenman

As above, What does the 2000 sound like when you feed it the analogue rca output of the cd player? This is the only real valid comparison you can do to actually compare the amps performance. (I.e. don’t use the 2000 dac). Of course levels might need adjusting and will affect impressions if not matched well.

The 3200 is their ‘halo‘ attempt, the best amp they can design/produce in that format, hence anything that might affect performance like an inbuilt dac with associated noise has been removed.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Well Yamaha did had a history of greatly integrated DACs in their mixers (with now old Burr Brown DAC's). Is it a case how r-n 2000 have such ESS DAC, I don't know.
The AS 3200 has best autended analog input lines (Yamaha has to offer) of 110 dB unbalanced RCA and just a little more on LRX balanced inputs. Only difference you may get with top line of Yamahas (asside of aesthetics) compared to uper mid range would be a bit tighter low bass and sub bass along with better separation in highs (mainly thanks to triodal transformer ond typology tweak for better separation).

Overseas

Major Contributor
a blind shootout with the base Yamaha 701/801 vs. any of the AS1200+ series would be funny
Tell what would be funny, selling you a 701 for the price of 3200, in a fake case.
As for me, I had the 701,803d and 1100 for a long time and I prefer the 1100 by far. Telling you this just to make you happy, cause you all 'love' such personal statements.

Overseas

Major Contributor
On the other hand - there is absolutely nothing wrong with the original amp. The new and very expensive amp that is not preferred (whatever the validity of that preference) could be resold for a large sum.

I'd suggest to the OP that is the way ahead - probably the only way you will be happy.
Yeah, the hardcore ASR new type of subjectivists (though they call themselves 'objectivists') repeatedly stated that the old type of subjectivists always fall for the more expensive amp. Go figure.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Everything in this price range should be considered as "jewelry". You spend that money on the look, materials used, the branding, things like VU meters or parts that are Overkill.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. :)
I would totally get one as well if I had the money for it.

I failed to see what loudspeakers are used with this amp. Super low distortion at crazy volumes is a great technical archivment but maybe unnecessary in a normal living room setup where you listen to music at 80-90 dB?

It's not unlikely that a considerable cheaper Class D amp with DIRAC or RoomPerfect would sound better.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not unlikely that a considerable cheaper Class D amp with DIRAC or RoomPerfect would sound better.
The cheaper amp already has Yamaha room correction. It’s not Dirac, but should still work quite well.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Isn't a 6000$ amp overkill for that?
Right, I offer to buy it for half the price

Now, really, I am not into technical HIFI. I guess, in Yamaha line, over AS2200 it is surely overkill.

Top Bottom