• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trinnov 8m 8 Channel Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 39.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 129 54.0%

• Total voters

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
finished nc1200 stereo power amps are like $1,500 right? and so you need four to get this thing...

ummm.... its not out of the bounds of reason but i question why you need to get 8 channels into one chassis and all the demands it has on one psu...

if this is going into a cabinet then just get a couple of stereo units and use 4 power cables???

MacCali

Major Contributor
Appreciate the sender of this product and Amir’s lower back.

Hmmmm I really question the true benefits of multi channel amps. Unlike stereo isn’t it much more difficult to distinguish the difference? I thought Floyd Toole did research on this, right?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting that it seems there are two versions of the amplifier. I found this on Google. Slightly different back-panel layout as well...

DSC09698.jpg

Last edited:

MacCali

Major Contributor
finished nc1200 stereo power amps are like $1,500 right? and so you need four to get this thing...

ummm.... its not out of the bounds of reason but i question why you need to get 8 channels into one chassis and all the demands it has on one psu...

if this is going into a cabinet then just get a couple of stereo units and use 4 power cables???
NAD m28 as pointed above is about half the price and missing only one channel and I’m pretty sure it’s not far off the M23 with probably a fairly competent smps.

At the very same time I think buying more than one quality 7 channel amp and you’re really pushing objectivity too far. The floor channels will definitely have a noticeable difference if you pick it up but Dolby channels don’t fire that often I feel for it to matter. But case in point you can get 14 channels with the M28 for the price of this

Sokel

Master Contributor
Interesting that it seems there are two versions of the amplifier. I found this on Google. Slightly different back-panel layout as well...

View attachment 298696
Case is also different,it's divided in two parts on the top,Amir's sample is just one piece.
This looks beastier though.

Edit,no,what's visible is a subcover,top cover must be one piece as well.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wonder what that is, maybe more power/larger modules
I added the page link where I copied the image and it seems both versions are the same, just different layouts.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems like it's made by ATI:

View attachment 298702
Montebello, CA , September 1, 2016 – Amplifier Technologies, Inc., the prolific manufacturer of many of the high end audio’s best amplifiers today added a new series of amplifiers. The ATI AT54x Nc amplifiers use Hypex N-Core Class D output modules with ATI designed input buffers and linear power supplies and are available with two power configurations. The ATI AT54x Nc amplifiers use two N-Core modules per channel in a differential bridged output configuration delivering 500W RMS per channel at 8 ohms and 900W RMS at 4 ohms. The ATI AT54x Nc amplifiers are available with 2, 3 or 4 channels.

Amplifier Technologies owns the ATI, Audioaccess, BGW and Theta Digital brands and designs and manufactures state-of-the-art audio components for its own and other brands in its facility in Montebello, CA. Guided by legendary amplifier designer Morris Kessler, ATI offers both performance and value in audio components.

Not clear but it says it uses Hypex modules, which are manufactured in Malaysia. In which case how can they say Made in America?

uwotm8

In which case how can they say Made in America?
Well, even if it's soldered to PCB in America, components are definitely made elsewhere. So where exactly is that borderline, assembling PCB equals "made in" but asslebling unit with pre-assembled PCBs/plate amp units is not?:)

Sokel

Master Contributor

Not clear but it says it uses Hypex modules, which are manufactured in Malaysia. In which case how can they say Made in America?
Ok,I think I found out what's happening.
There are two version of Amplitude8.
The one Amir tested which is the "m" version (which Trinnov says it's the cost effective version) and the plain Amplitude8 which is the big brother.
The one you found is the big one.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
this is an amplifier worth drooling all over.
Better not, it probably doesn't have the appropriate IP rating ;)

Anyway, should this thing not give a bit more power? 700W in R2 and 1200W in R2 according to datasheet. And this thing goes into protection with 2R? Why?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Better not, it probably doesn't have the appropriate IP rating ;)

Anyway, should this thing not give a bit more power? 700W in R2 and 1200W in R2 according to datasheet. And this thing goes into protection with 2R? Why?
Even the big brother (plain Amplitude8) which is 2 Ohm rated (that one is not) doesn't reach the numbers.
PSU limited probably.

Top Bottom