• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neutrik NA2F-D0B-TX XLR to RCA Adapter Review

Rate this converter:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 121 82.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 3 2.0%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It's because your test doesn't make any sense. The specs clearly say that it isn't meant to do past about 500mV cleanly-ish, and yet here you are saying that it sucks because it distorts at... 8 times that? What exactly did you expect to happen?
What 8 times that? Here is the 1 volt frequency sweep vs distortion:

index.php

Distortion is nearly 100% at 20 Hz! And where is your defense for this:
index.php

That doesn't "suck?"

What enabled this device to be cheap and small made it horrid in performance. No way you could tell this from description of the unit. My testing now clearly shows its performance and reasons to stay the heck away.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Well yes, stay the heck away for hifi for sure. It will suck big time.
Not necessarily so for professionals that use these as small and easy 'problem solvers' in the case of sound reinforcement. They could be life savers there in some circumstances.
Of course, any professional might use better performing DI boxes but at some moments but these 'devices' could come in handy. For those moments they are probably 'fine enough'.
These guys/gals should hear it quickly enough if it 'works' or at least find out if the hum (or other issue) may stem from galvanic separation so they can go solve it with better quality isolators if needed they do not happen to have in their pocket.

For hifi usage they are even less than 'poor' and could have their own category such as 'piss poor' or something.

Fully agreed on the poor description and lack of info and specs. I am sure people will buy this for hifi as they only look for keywords such as XLR RCA and 'transformer' etc.
They will buy something based on that. It isn't even stereo you will need 2 of them.
So for that purpose this review is great and a good 'warning' not to buy this and maybe the mfr can even learn from this and improve the info on it (wishful thinking :))

Not defending the product, just trying to create awareness where devices like this could be used for, and are aimed at. It is not very clear from the supplied data for sure.
When viewed from an audio consumer standpoint this device is utterly useless, simply because it was not designed for application therein.

Not all devices intended for professional usage can be used for hifi music reproduction and vice versa.
Many unsuspecting folks on twitter/fora etc still believe that when something is intended for professional usage it thus must be more than suited for hifi. Nothing could be further from the truth in some cases and in other cases they could very well be right.

Creating awareness (by measurements,reviews or other means) is gold.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
What is "semi-professional" then? And how studio work not professional? If I have an audio interface and want to drive a sub that only has RCA in and I use this, am I compliant with their description or not?

Fact is that for a technology company, that kind of language is just wrong. The owner bought this product because he is shopping for XLR to RCA adapter. Nothing in the description told him to stay way away from this product.
What kind of language? The point is just that professionals normally know when it's relevant to use. "Problem solving". It's in the tool kit you carry. It's small and light and cheap. Sure the web page should have written in bold NOT FOR HIFI -AUDIOPHILE BEWARE STAY AWAY!! But who does that?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What kind of language? The point is just that professionals normally know when it's relevant to use. "Problem solving". It's in the tool kit you carry. It's small and light and cheap. Sure the web page should have written in bold NOT FOR HIFI -AUDIOPHILE BEWARE STAY AWAY!! But who does that?
They language must not be generic saying it is an XLR to RCA converter. They must show proper measurements especially when the device is so performance limited. That is the only way to know if it fits the application, Pro or not. Like their competitor Jensen does:

PC-2XR-THDvsFreq-1024x665.jpg

PC-2XR-freuencyresponse-1024x665.jpg

See? Not hard.

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They language must not be generic saying it is an XLR to RCA converter. They must show proper measurements especially when the device is so performance limited. That is the only way to know if it fits the application, Pro or not. Like their competitor Jensen does:

See? Not hard.

They gave two limitations: 1%@50 Hz and -3dBu it was all there..
This makes it very clear it's not for hifi use...
but now I fall in to repetition..
Now I am even more curious how a 500mv measurement would have looked like..:cool:

PeteL

Major Contributor

See? Not hard.
Yes they could have done that maybe and I see your point that you'd like every manufacturers to publish measurements of their products. Maybe this site may help in this. I find this maybe a bit utopic but sure. But for now it is not the norm. The fact remains that products should be tested within the limits they are specified for, and at least we have that in the specifications. Now keep in mind that altough they make a few finished products, Jensen first and foremost make transformers. Neutrik makes connectors and adapters. They are not really competitors, Jensen makes parts. In this case it is almost mandatory to have full data sheets with measurments. because manufacturers needs it to be able to use their components. It is great that they also publish that for their finished products but it translates from what their core business is. If by "competitor" you mean the PC-2XR (stereo), it is 449$!! How does it even belong in the same conversation?

pma

Major Contributor
I think that the OP is owing us the most important measurement on the unit under test - the CMRR measurement. These adapters are used for circuit isolation, as a ground loop breakers. I cannot imagine anyone who would put it into a perfectly working, hum-less system just for fun, to make SE/balanced unnecessary conversion. And that is exactly how it was tested here.

The transformer adapter should be tested for CMRR like this:
linktrafo_CMRR_test.png

Input terminals shorted, driven from a generator, and balanced output measured against common signal ground. In ideal case, transformer would have zero stray capacitance C1 and there will be zero output signal. In a real world, transformer has a stray capacitance and some degree of imbalance (R1, R2). Thus, the CMRR - common mode rejection ratio is finite and frequency dependent.

I have a similar adapter here and it measures like this:
5AABB612-7D2F-4D7D-8D28-2A352DE0A268.jpeg

linktrafo_CMRR_measured.png

At 50Hz, CMRR is 115dB, at 1kHz it is 90dB. There will hardly be any electronic balanced input adapter with 50Hz suppression of 115dB like this little box. And this is what counts, because we use it for hum elimination in case of problems. Not to race in inaudible SINAD.

So, @amirm , what is the CMRR plot of the unit you have tested? Do not tell me that you do not test it.

Last edited:

KSTR

Major Contributor
Well, one could say Neutrik is probably living in the past with regard to what they think how knowledgeable their customers are. Back in the day when the NTE1 first came out (it's been here for decades), anybody who ever entered a stage or recording studio as a technician/engineer had to have a profound education with strict exams and all and they would know such basics, in this case the applications and the limits of adapters like this one even with the admittedly sparse information Neutrik shares about the product.

But today, any random guy with zero background knowledge can order stuff via the Internet and use it out of spec and then blame the manufacturer. Meh... The good thing now at least is that these guys get a chance to know by googling reviews like this one.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think that the OP is owing us the most important measurement on the unit under test - the CMRR measurement.
I owe you that? How about the company? Drop them a line and ask.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Well, one could say Neutrik is probably living in the past with regard to what they think how knowledgeable their customers are. Back in the day when the NTE1 first came out (it's been here for decades), anybody who ever entered a stage or recording studio as a technician/engineer had to have a profound education with strict exams and all and they would know such basics, in this case the applications and the limits of adapters like this one even with the admittedly sparse information Neutrik shares about the product.
If those people were really knowledgeable, they would throw up on what Neutrik is calling "spec." They would demand to see the kind of measurements that Jensen is providing. It would be an insult to those people to say that they would take an amplitude spec at 50 Hz as anything relevant to functionality of this box. Or accepting such poor performance when it comes to simple things like frequency response. Heck, it is not clear what this thing is for given how little voltage it tolerates. Pretty sure the technicians of the past would be upset by that. I would think they would call this a "toy" product.

So no, sadly Neutrik is living in today where specs are long forgotten requirement for a product, even in "professional" market as they claim. It is an insult to the industry they serve to produce a product with such incomplete information. The only thing worse is folks defending them left and right...

KSTR

Major Contributor
I would think they would call this a "toy" product.
This sentence I could possibly agree on. It's a toy... but a toy which can save a live gig or recording session when things go unexpected ways.

As for the knowledge thing, what I see often these days is stage techs placing transformer DI boxes for bass guitar etc right on top of the stage amp and then wonder why they still have hum...

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Neutrik makes and sells connectors.
Not DI boxes nor studio equipment.
This is just 2 connectors in a box with a cheap/small not really special isolation transformer in it that can offer some help in certain situations.

I think it would be wise to see Neutrik for what it is. A connector manufacturer (including cables and converters).
Their connectors are affordable and of good build quality.

The fact that they have a good name also in the audio world (their connector offering is wider than the audio connector sub division) doesn't make them an audio company nor know what that industry needs (besides connectors/cables).
That's something to keep in mind.

Last edited:

Fidji

Considering that all (or almost all) Neutrik products are made in Liechtenstein, yes you do.

yep, looks like it is one of the most important industries there
1687077518208.png

lovely small country, 8x8 miles,

morillon

Major Contributor
Neutrik makes and sells connectors.
Not DI boxes nor studio equipment.
This is just 2 connectors in a box with a cheap/small not really special isolation transformer in it that can offer some help in certain situations.

I think it would be wise to see Neutrik for what it is. A connector manufacturer (including cables and converters).
Their connectors are affordable and of good build quality.

The fact that they have a good name also in the audio world (their connector offering is wider than the audio connector sub division) doesn't make them an audio company nor know what that industry needs (besides connectors/cables).
That's something to keep in mind.
"""incidentally"" neutrik is that too
and that s not new...

say they know a little more than just connectors
:rolleyes:
(see also the old A1 A2 very present in technical station etc)

pma

Major Contributor
anybody who ever entered a stage

I am still not sure why we keep talking about "stage use". There are numerous guys on this forum who complain about hum/buzz even in domestic audio conditions. A simple example, this is what I get if I connect 2 USB audio devices, Topping D10s DAC and E1DA Cosmos ADC, directly on one same PC, without using USB isolator for D10s.

Direct connection, with properly connected RCA-XLR 3-wire cable, this cable (often recommended here) does not help.
USD_DAC-ADC_direct.png

And this is the result with the link transformer adapter
USD_DAC-ADC_withtrafo.png

The audible buzz in the 1st case is unacceptable. The trafo adapter fixes it, without possible compatibility issues of the USB opto-isolator.

At expense of LF distortion dependent on level, but, this distortion is inaudible and the proof is as simple as A-B-C : the DBT level matched test.

Linktrafo_distortion_+4.5dBV_-16.5dBV.png

I am really frustrated when the useful tool like this gets the headless panther, for the reason that such decision of the OP has huge influence to most of the inexperienced readers here.

Hayabusa

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am really frustrated when the useful tool like this gets the headless panther, for the reason that such decision of the OP has huge influence to most of the inexperienced readers here.
What the heck you talking about? Your are going to use the device I tested for audio measurements? Are you serious?

No one is damning the general category whatsoever. To wit, I have tested the Jensen and gave it a recommendation: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ax-ci-1rr-review-isolation-transformer.24104/

It is absurd to say what I tested should get a recommendation. For what exactly? What has only 70 mv output?

pma

Major Contributor
Buzz at 90Hz? That's not expected..
Because it is a result of 2 USB ports that have common ground somewhere in the PC and are connected via USB cables and audio signal ground. There are probably some DC-DC converters that interact together and with USB packets and this is the result. Most odd things in audio are unexpected and simple views do not help. Again, look how many people complain here on buzz even if connecting components that have good parameters when measured alone with AP clinical test conditions (which none of the beginner users has at his home). Look at the numerous amateurish measurements here full of mains supply lines as a result of signal ground loops. It is really difficult to explain something, one needs t have his own experience. Close to impossible to try to explain.

Hayabusa

What the heck you talking about? Your are going to use the device I tested for audio measurements? Are you serious?

No one is damning the general category whatsoever. To wit, I have tested the Jensen and gave it a recommendation: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ax-ci-1rr-review-isolation-transformer.24104/

It is absurd to say what I tested should get a recommendation. For what exactly? What has only 70 mv output?
he is not asking for recommendation!
70mv -> 500mv!
Just measure it as it was intended and you would not get all these responses...

Top Bottom