• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 4.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 144 27.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 349 66.5%

• Total voters

FRC

Hi Keith
Not understood ?
I have enabled SPDIF in audio on the Eversolo. Is that what you are takling about ?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You must ‘enable’ any new device in the Roon app, just go to settings then ‘audio’ click the Eversolo graphic and enable.
Then the same graphic will appear at the bottom right corner along with the other enabled output devices.
Keith

FRC

I dont have any 'audio' under settings in my Roon app.
And I didn't do anything to get my Allo Digione to work

FRC

Hi Keith
Sorry - you're right, had forgotten all about that.
It works now
Thanks a lot for refreshing my memory :)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
My pleasure the other day I connected some speakers to the DMP’s analogue outs, wondered why there was no volume, because I hadn’t selected ‘XLR out’, so easy to make silly mistakes.( well it is for me)
Keith

multisport4me

Finally! UPS delivered the Master version via Audiophonics and then Fedex finally cleared the regular version from Futeko so I picked it up. So the Master actually exists - I'll put some pics up later. The packaging from Audiophonics was beat the hell and they forgot to send me a US plug (no bigee..I have plenty of US IEC cables) but the Eversolo packaging is so damn good there was no way anything bad would happen to the unit within. The Futkeo packaging is stellar - I haven't even opened yet and might not bother if I'm happy enough with the Master version. So the regular version will just go up for sale as I don't want to deal with customs ever again nor do I want to screw over Futeko, who was a good vendor in my experience. I doubt anybody wants my subjective comparison of the two versions so I'm just going to pick a horse and ride it. :)

dakchi

Finally! UPS delivered the Master version via Audiophonics and then Fedex finally cleared the regular version from Futeko so I picked it up. So the Master actually exists - I'll put some pics up later. The packaging from Audiophonics was beat the hell and they forgot to send me a US plug (no bigee..I have plenty of US IEC cables) but the Eversolo packaging is so damn good there was no way anything bad would happen to the unit within. The Futkeo packaging is stellar - I haven't even opened yet and might not bother if I'm happy enough with the Master version. So the regular version will just go up for sale as I don't want to deal with customs ever again nor do I want to screw over Futeko, who was a good vendor in my experience. I doubt anybody wants my subjective comparison of the two versions so I'm just going to pick a horse and ride it. :)
Can't wait for your feedback

multisport4me

First things first. @mirror88, how to I update this thing? I downloaded the new firmware and have it on a FAT32 thumbdrive. I can read files on it and when I select the drive in the upgrade menu I see three directories and its asking me to select a file and no files are being read. I'm using the USB OTG port. Is that correct?

multisport4me

First things first. @mirror88, how to I update this thing? I downloaded the new firmware and have it on a FAT32 thumbdrive. I can read files on it and when I select the drive in the upgrade menu I see three directories and its asking me to select a file and no files are being read. I'm using the USB OTG port. Is that correct?

Nevermind. I found instuctions under on the Zidoo forum for Neo S. For anyone else as dense as me, just copy the zip file itself to the USB FAT32 drive - you don't have to unzip it. Go into apps, pick update, then select the USB drive. Incidentally, Roon recognized this thing as a Neo S at first.

Next up is how to load up Apple Music. Is it on here or need to be sideloaded?

multisport4me

A few observations so far:

- first, the look. They have some gold badges on the Master and the LED on volume knob is a yellow-goldish color. Honestly, I hope the LED can be changed to different colors but if not, no huge deal.
- the DAC sounds very good to me. I no longer have the Z8 but there are no differences to me at all - probably not surprising since Zidoo (along with Topping, SMSL, etc.) have all taken these Sabres chip to max performance on a consistent basis. So I'm pleased that there appears to be no steps backward - its an excellent DAC IMO.
- sadly, the HDMI Audio output is a bust for me so far. You can use it for internal apps and Roon player end point, but USB nor any digital inputs it cannot be used. The issue for me is that my Roon Rock/Server are already producing an excellent HDMI audio input to my AV10 so HDMI out of the DMP-A6 is pretty useless for me as it stands. For some reason I thought it would work when connected to my Roon Rock via USB, but to no avail - when they say no digital input can be output from the HDMI Audio, they mean it.
- related to the above, I wish they'd allow both XLR and HDMI output at the same time. It would make it easier to compare. Switching between inputs and the AV10 inputs is a bit wonky. Not that big of a deal.
- the UX is fast. Very fast. Impressively fast. There is no lag to this UX at all. The cover art is beautifully displayed from Roon - it looks fantastic.

I haven't played around with the internal music apps and local library yet. I am using Roon and are happy with it for that purpose at this time. Apple Music was a major reason I bought this so I hope to get it up and running and playing 24/192 hi-res out but I'm not sure if the HDMI can output that res or not. Nor do I see the Apple Music app yet.

That is it for now. About 20 minutes of connecting it up and playing around with it once I upgraded the firmware. I love it but there are some limitations that I wish weren't there with respect to the HDMI Audio output.

Oh and...the remote is an absolute necessity to me. It should have been included. Especially with the Master version for the extra coin they charge - it would have been a nice differentiator instead of just the clock and op amp upgrade.
DMP-A6 pic.jpg

Simba2585

So what would be the best way for me connect this to my amp Marantz PM11S3?

My current setup is a home cinema/ hifi setup whereby the AV processor (Marantz AV8802A) is connected to the integrated (PM11S3) via RCA to the HT bypass effectively using it as a power amp for my front LR.

I was hoping to use the dmp a6 directly with my pm11s3 as it's superior but I don't think connecting the a6 to an integrated in this manner using rca input is the ideal way.....as I would be utilising both preamps.and have volume control on both devices.

So it seems I must go digital out to the processor and then pm11s3 in power amp mode out to the LR however that means I'd be bypassing the dacs of the a6 which I'm sure are going to be better than processors as it sounds horrible for stereo music.

I'm confused ...maybe I need to sleep but someone demystify my thought lol

multisport4me

So what would be the best way for me connect this to my amp Marantz PM11S3?

My current setup is a home cinema/ hifi setup whereby the AV processor (Marantz AV8802A) is connected to the integrated (PM11S3) via RCA to the HT bypass effectively using it as a power amp for my front LR.

I was hoping to use the dmp a6 directly with my pm11s3 as it's superior but I don't think connecting the a6 to an integrated in this manner using rca input is the ideal way.....as I would be utilising both preamps.and have volume control on both devices.

So it seems I must go digital out to the processor and then pm11s3 in power amp mode out to the LR however that means I'd be bypassing the dacs of the a6 which I'm sure are going to be better than processors as it sounds horrible for stereo music.

I'm confused ...maybe I need to sleep but someone demystify my thought lol

It's been a long while since I've owned either of those pieces but my recollection is that the HT bypass mode to use as a power amp requires holding down the P.Direct button for a couple of seconds to make the RCA inputs for P.Direct be just a passthrough. That would imply you could connect the DMP-A6 using XLR to the PM11S3 XLR input and simple change to that input to use it as an integrated amp. The A6 can be set to fixed volume so that you'd only use the volume on the PM11S3 whenever using the A6 via XLR.

Now what I really cannot recall is whether or not putting the PM11S3 in HT bypass mode will make changing inputs impossible. I remember that only the one set of RCA inputs could be used for the HT bypass mode (which annoyed me since it has an XLR input) so you can just try it and keep all volume knobs turned all the way down. Heck, maybe even disconnect speakers just to see if the switching on the PM11S3 is seamless from XLR (int amp mode) to RCA (HT bypass mode).

glc650

- sadly, the HDMI Audio output is a bust for me so far. You can use it for internal apps and Roon player end point, but USB nor any digital inputs it cannot be used. The issue for me is that my Roon Rock/Server are already producing an excellent HDMI audio input to my AV10 so HDMI out of the DMP-A6 is pretty useless for me as it stands. For some reason I thought it would work when connected to my Roon Rock via USB, but to no avail - when they say no digital input can be output from the HDMI Audio, they mean it.
Sound like a great opportunity to move your roon core to another room and just use the DMP-A6. Can you change DMP-A6 outputs in Roon?

The cover art is beautifully displayed from Roon - it looks fantastic.
How does that work with the VU meters? Is it one or the other or can both be displayed at once?

D

Deleted member 62005

Next up is how to load up Apple Music. Is it on here or need to be sideloaded?
Thanks for the update. I am very interested also in using the Apple Music app audio for its lossless output. In fact, one reason I am getting it vs just going with the WiiM Peo as a transport only streams with external DAC. I am planning to use the DMP-66A without Roon, so will be outputting via USB. I think you say you want to use HDMI out.

Side question: I noticed you were streaming MQA. It seems odd to see MQA apparently saying 192hz, but the album is showing 24b/48hz. In general how do you like it? One reason I ask, frankly not a fan of their compressioin/folding architecture, but Qobus right now does not have some of the albums I would like to stream in PCM.

And will you be trying one of the lossless streaming services like Qobus,since the Eversolo support it natively, I think.

Thanks

multisport4me

Sound like a great opportunity to move your roon core to another room and just use the DMP-A6. Can you change DMP-A6 outputs in Roon?

How does that work with the VU meters? Is it one or the other or can both be displayed at once?

Nah. The DMP-A6 HDMI Audio output is far less capable than the Rock. So far, I've not seen a way to change inputs on the DMP-A6 from the Roon app. Everything else with Roon is wonderful. I also compared Rock USB output to the A6 vs the Roon Ready player via network and the capabilties are the same in terms of supported resolutions and as I beleive Amir has said, offers bit perfect audio so there is no reason to connect the Roon Rock or Server via USB to the A6 IMO.

VU meters is a little icon and you can toggle from album art, etc. to the VU meters in the app or on the screen. I prefer the album art/info personally since it looks so damn good with Roon...well as a Roon player. There is no album art or info when using USB from the Rock. So yet another reason not to use USB from Roon Rock/server.

multisport4me

Thanks for the update. I am very interested also in using the Apple Music app audio for its lossless output. In fact, one reason I am getting it vs just going with the WiiM Peo as a transport only streams with external DAC. I am planning to use the DMP-66A without Roon, so will be outputting via USB. I think you say you want to use HDMI out.

Side question: I noticed you were streaming MQA. It seems odd to see MQA apparently saying 192hz, but the album is showing 24b/48hz. In general how do you like it? One reason I ask, frankly not a fan of their compressioin/folding architecture, but Qobus right now does not have some of the albums I would like to stream in PCM.

And will you be trying one of the lossless streaming services like Qobus,since the Eversolo support it natively, I think.

Thanks

I found it and installed it. I believe its literally an Android phone app. Honestly, a bit cumbersome to install as you can't do it from the Eversolo app - I had to do it from the A6 screen. Once installed I set the Apple Music settings to lossless, etc. and yet....I still have not gotten anything more than 44.1khz out of it! So consider the Apple Music support a work in progress.

I have Tidal and Qobuzz - hence the random MQA song when I took that pic. I've been slowly going through library replacing MQA versions with FLAC hi-res when I can. Supposedly Tidal is dumping MQA so I am hoping they allow for auto-magic replacement of MQA stuff at some point. The 192khz was probably just upsampling from Roon. The A6 really works well with the upsamling as I was easily able to send it DSD512, hi-res PCM, etc. if you're into the Roon DSP upsampling stuff.

I will log into Qobuz tomorrow. I did play some songs natively as I was able to add my Roon music storage to the A6 library. Personally, I don't hear any difference from the Roon player and while it looks nice, I plan on just sticking with Roon since the two play so nicely together.

mirror88

Audio Company
I found it and installed it. I believe its literally an Android phone app. Honestly, a bit cumbersome to install as you can't do it from the Eversolo app - I had to do it from the A6 screen. Once installed I set the Apple Music settings to lossless, etc. and yet....I still have not gotten anything more than 44.1khz out of it! So consider the Apple Music support a work in progress.

I have Tidal and Qobuzz - hence the random MQA song when I took that pic. I've been slowly going through library replacing MQA versions with FLAC hi-res when I can. Supposedly Tidal is dumping MQA so I am hoping they allow for auto-magic replacement of MQA stuff at some point. The 192khz was probably just upsampling from Roon. The A6 really works well with the upsamling as I was easily able to send it DSD512, hi-res PCM, etc. if you're into the Roon DSP upsampling stuff.

I will log into Qobuz tomorrow. I did play some songs natively as I was able to add my Roon music storage to the A6 library. Personally, I don't hear any difference from the Roon player and while it looks nice, I plan on just sticking with Roon since the two play so nicely together.
Apple music -- Settings - Audio - Audio Quality - Wifi Streaming - Hi-Res Lossless
-- Settings - Audio - Crossfade - Off.
You should get the Lossless streaming.
BTW: Not all the tracks have the high sampling rates.
And You don't need to operate on the A6 screen, just in the APP Control - Cast that will mirror the A6 screen and can control it.

applemusic.jpg

Last edited:

multisport4me

How so?

Outputs not inputs. Changing inputs would mean switching away from Roon which wouldn't make any sense as an option in Roon.
Neither are supported within Roon that I could see. You cannot control the A6 from Roon other than sending the data (audio, cover art, etc.)

I haven't gotten the A6 HDMI Audio output to pass native DSD nor any PCM greater than 96khz so far. Not sure why.

Top Bottom