• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NCx500 Class D Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 55 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 397 86.1%

• Total voters

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some might choose them for non-auditory esthetic reasons: it can be fun to some to own the "best" even when it brings no sonic benefit.
Oh yes, it definitely keeps those inner gremlins satisfied ("it is sounding great, but what if I am missing out something even better??"). lol :D

Reactions: SIY

grobalt

Does the ncx500 play below 20Hz ? Many amps have a subsonic like protection below 20Hz.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
You can see the plot down to 10 Hz in amirm's review -- it is down a fraction of a dB at 10 Hz.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The datasheet does not even list low frequency response limit, so I would assume down to DC.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
For example? I have never heard of such a thing.

A number of pro amplifiers, particularly with DSP, include such protection. Crown told me several years ago that the XLS series rolls off at 12 dB/oct below 20 Hz. Using DSP filters the roll-off is 24 dB/octave.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
AFAIK it is faily common for amp manufacturers to add a high pass cap to the pre-amp section to remove DC bias.

Example the PS Audio below is specced above 10 Hz.

Or D'Agostino Momentum has -1dB at 20 Hz already.

Or Hegel H590 starts at 5 Hz.

Or the flagship Accuphase -0.2 dB at 20 Hz "at rated continuous average output".

Or Pass XA350.8 at 1.5 Hz.

etc

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The datasheet does not even list low frequency response limit, so I would assume down to DC.
The NC400 is DC-coupled. I assume the same is true for the NC500.

Megaken

Need advice:

2x hypex NC500MP monoblocks
OR
1x hypex NCx500 stereo amp
?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Need advice:

OR
?

The NC500 may be a good deal right now, but unless it uses a good custom buffer, would go with the newer NCx500. Would not worry about sound but features. The gain choices are more easily made on the newer module. The stock NC500 buffer board is a evaluation interface and not intended as a production board. Notably, the eval board lacks RFI filtering. Am not sure whether the NCx500 implements any better RFI filtering; @SIY may know from his testing.

NC500 availability is much better currently too.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Am not sure whether the NCx500 implements any better RFI filtering; @SIY may know from his testing.
The dog that didn't bark. I didn't do RFI testing but never experienced any issues with it.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The NC500 may be a good deal right now, but unless it uses a good custom buffer, would go with the newer NCx500. Would not worry about sound but features. The gain choices are more easily made on the newer module. The stock NC500 buffer board is a evaluation interface and not intended as a production board. Notably, the eval board lacks RFI filtering. Am not sure whether the NCx500 implements any better RFI filtering; @SIY may know from his testing.

NC500 availability is much better currently too.
He meant the NC500MP, the mono mains powered module, not the former NC500OEM module.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He meant the NC500MP, the mono mains powered module, not the former NC500OEM module.

Thanks, missed that and will address.:facepalm:

Got confused with someone who emailed me and insisted on separate power supplies for his amp.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Need advice:

OR
?

Updating my last reply to include the NC500MP option…

The Hypex MP modules are a very attractive value. They do have some RF filtering. I really like the mono NC500MP, but it is not commonly sold. If buying from VTV, might check on the age of the module. Recently found VTV had mixed newer stereo modules with older mono ones. Normally, might not be an issue, but the older MP revs had some noise glitching in power transitions.

pogo

Major Contributor
Are there any insights about different firmware and hardware versions? From the outside it is always called only Hypex NCx500, Purifi 1ET400, ...

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are there any insights about different firmware and hardware versions? From the outside it is always called only Hypex NCx500, Purifi 1ET400, ...

Not many (aside from the one I mentioned above), but is really the vendors’ responsibility. Not too surprising that revision histories are not shared more publicly as detractors and competitors could weaponize.

Afaik, none of the “firmware” on these modules can be updated externally so no major motivation to publish revision diffs either.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I asked the question to Purifi a few months ago. There is one single firmware for everybody, including companies licensing the design (NAD, T+A,...).
Outside of power supply performance, measured differences between amplifiers are due to measurement methods and the relatively low accuracy of the short circuit protection.

pogo

Major Contributor
I think that thermal management will also play a major role, especially with NADs.

Top Bottom