• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NCx500 Class D Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 55 12.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 396 86.1%

• Total voters

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Wait, buckeye page on it says default gain is 26.8db.

Or am I confusing something?

View attachment 285644
The NCx board has two jumper settings for choosing gain. I measured 27dB for the higher gain option, 12.4dB for the lower gain setting.

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
The NCx board has two jumper settings for choosing gain. I measured 27dB for the higher gain option, 12.4dB for the lower gain setting.
Strange, this is what the manual says...
1684176383976.png

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

AkodoGilador

That's pretty consistent with my measurements. I wince every time they refer to the input stage as a "buffer," though.
Well... The buffered measurement seems ok (27dB is in the range 26.6dB - 27dB), but the unbuffered measurement seems way off. Hypex have spec'd it as +/- 0.2dB, but 12.4dB is 0.9dB out - more than 4 times the allowed error.

Alex

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Well... The buffered measurement seems ok (27dB is in the range 26.6dB - 27dB), but the unbuffered measurement seems way off. Hypex have spec'd it as +/- 0.2dB, but 12.4dB is 0.9dB out - more than 4 times the allowed error.

Alex
Less than a dB is absolutely unimportant.

Megaken

So I just replaced my AB parasound amp (~160w/c) with the NCx500 and it's considerably quieter (in terms of volume). I thought it would be louder because it has so much more power.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I just replaced my AB parasound amp (~160w/c) with the NCx500 and it's considerably quieter (in terms of volume). I thought it would be louder because it has so much more power.
This is due to the gain. It has more power, but you also have to feed it more voltage.

This is one of the “criticisms” that @restorer-john has made about looking at products with a unified 5W SINAD as opposed to ALSO looking at a predefined dB gain.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought we had explained the relationship between gain, power and volume?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I see @Megaken ‘s previous posts now.

IMG_7553.jpeg

@Megaken, where was your gain dial set before? Then we can help you figure out the difference on where your preamp needs to be.

aphysically

so this is basically the purifi in thd performance once the gain stage is there but with slightly worse frequency response and much higher power?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If he bought the VTV, according to the manual, it ships with the lower gain setting for the buffer.

@Megaken, did you check the buffer jumper settings?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't it pretty?? :) Have to find some time to install and test it in the next few days.

IMG_20230522_195329.jpg

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To Hypex @Hypexsales I raise my beer and salute you for launching a new module that is pin compatible, just plug n' play in place of the old module. While I was swapping them I was thinking how awesome is to be able to do that! :)

I was expecting to quickly swap the modules in order to compare them but unfortunately it is not as fast as I hoped. They need to be screwed to the amp base in order to make full contact and dissipate heat. And the bottom plate needs to be screwed as well to have the feet, or else the chassis and screw heads would scratch my rack. So minimum of some 10 minutes between unplugging cables, unscrewing the bottom plate, unscrewing the modules from the base, removing the modules from the buffer pins, and redoing the process in reverse with the new ones in place.

Manufacturers have it easy by having 2 complete amps assembled with the different modules and just swapping cables, a few seconds only.

Last edited:

Megaken

If he bought the VTV, according to the manual, it ships with the lower gain setting for the buffer.

@Megaken, did you check the buffer jumper settings?
Mm I think it ships with the higher gain setting. This is what they told me. Or am I confusing something?

Screenshot_20230524-084209.png

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mm I think it ships with the higher gain setting. This is what they told me. Or am I confusing something?

View attachment 287911

This makes more sense and so your amp should have the higher gain setting. The VTV manual is misleading in regard to the default gain. Does not explain why you are getting less output with the VTV though. Given that Hypex ships with the buffer disabled, might want to verify that it is what Warren indicated.

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW, all of the NCx modules I have had shipped to me come with the onboard Buffer enabled.

Interesting, my first run boards had the jumpers off. Enabling would favor use as new versus backward compatibility with the NC500. Probably the right call as not really a drop-in replacement.

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
To Hypex @Hypexsales I raise my beer and salute you for launching a new module that is pin compatible, just plug n' play in place of the old module. While I was swapping them I was thinking how awesome is to be able to do that! :)

I was expecting to quickly swap the modules in order to compare them but unfortunately it is not as fast as I hoped. They need to be screwed to the amp base in order to make full contact and dissipate heat. And the bottom plate needs to be screwed as well to have the feet, or else the chassis and screw heads would scratch my rack. So minimum of some 10 minutes between unplugging cables, unscrewing the bottom plate, unscrewing the modules from the base, removing the modules from the buffer pins, and redoing the process in reverse with the new ones in place.

Manufacturers have it easy by having 2 complete amps assembled with the different modules and just swapping cables, a few seconds only.
Oi, Where and when did you get the modules? Obrigado!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oi, Where and when did you get the modules? Obrigado!
Saludos! From what I understand, now the manufacturers can only sell modules to their existing customers, not to NC500 owners from other brands. So if you have a Nord amp you can only buy NCx500 from Nord, or Apollon amp buy only from Apollon, etc.

Also we have to pay more initially, return the old modules, and only then get a refund for the deposit. Plus the NCx500 is out of stock for several months...

They are making this as difficult as they can, but still I managed to get mine.

Top Bottom