• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 4.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 144 27.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 340 65.9%

• Total voters

CMB

Maybe another stupid question from me, but does anyone know if it allow to stream internet radio (TuneIn,...) and more importantly Radio Paradise in CD quality?
Thks

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

c3pored

So a Roon stream sent to it can't be output via digital? Is that in the manual? Thx
From manual:’Digital inputs can’t be routed to digital outputs.’ See top of page 42

Roon stream isn’t a digital input.
USB output to external Dac is available.
So I think they mean optical/coax input can’t be routed to optical/coax out.

multisport4me

Roon is a digital input.
Keith
I would think so too.

That said, I'm not sure why any other digital input would ever need to be sent to a digital output unless maybe to upsample? Otherwise it makes sense that the digital inputs are used for the DAC. But I should hope that if I send DSD via USB from Roon Rock to the DMP-A6, I would expect it can output that DSD64 stream via HDMI Audio output to my AV10. Otherwise, I have no idea what the HDMI Audio output is for other than internal apps? The manual is pretty rough and I cannot search for that string that states digital input cannot be routed to digital output. Oh well, I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Some modern active speakers have digital ‘ins’.
Keith

Tranquility Bass

Audio Company
Forum Donor
If it has an internal DAC then surely it must be able to output I2S on the HDMI output jack to drive an external DAC ?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If it has an internal DAC then surely it must be able to output I2S on the HDMI output jack to drive an external DAC ?
No, those are two completely different things even though they use the same connector.

Jamscape

I've been watching that Futeco site waiting for the second batch to be available for pre-pre-order. It's now showing available for pre-order and appears the price has already gone up around $20 from a few days ago. Not a huge deal but dang twenty bucks is twenty bucks. I wonder if it will go up even more when it hits Amazon in a few weeks?

multisport4me

Are you referring to the DACs on market that use the physical HDMI connector for I2S input? The connector is the only resemblance to HDMI - the pinout is completely different - even different from manuf to manuf what pins they use for I2S inputs using an HDMI connector.

Amir, speaking of HDMI, this makes me wonder if Zidoo used an HDMI PHY and then only implemented the audio or would they have used a CPLD or something like that for the HDMI Audio output? Either way, I would assume HDCP is still required to send certain audio signals? I've not seen a product with HDMI Audio only output before so I'm curious what/how they do it?

multisport4me

I've been watching that Futeco site waiting for the second batch to be available for pre-pre-order. It's now showing available for pre-order and appears the price has already gone up around $20 from a few days ago. Not a huge deal but dang twenty bucks is twenty bucks. I wonder if it will go up even more when it hits Amazon in a few weeks?
Looks like it went up 10 quid since I ordered. Not terrible.

Tranquility Bass

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Are you referring to the DACs on market that use the physical HDMI connector for I2S input? The connector is the only resemblance to HDMI - the pinout is completely different - even different from manuf to manuf what pins they use for I2S inputs using an HDMI connector.

Amir, speaking of HDMI, this makes me wonder if Zidoo used an HDMI PHY and then only implemented the audio or would they have used a CPLD or something like that for the HDMI Audio output? Either way, I would assume HDCP is still required to send certain audio signals? I've not seen a product with HDMI Audio only output before so I'm curious what/how they do it?
Typically they conform to the PS-Audio standard use of the HDMI for audio.
No, those are two completely different things even though they use the same connector.

It says Audio/DSD on the HDMI connector at the back so I assume it might comply with the PS Audio standard ??

11955340.jpg

multisport4me

Typically they conform to the PS-Audio standard use of the HDMI for audio.

It says Audio/DSD on the HDMI connector at the back so I assume it might comply with the PS Audio standard ??

No, they are not outputting I2S over that HDMI output. The pinout will be standard HDMI and can be connected to an AV Receiver (for example) and send it HDMI Audio. Literally, HDMI without video - just audio. The PS Audio method is using HDMI connector types and while their pinout may be more common for devices (like DACs) that have an I2S input via HDMI connector, it is NOT HDMI. Hence the reason you cannot connect a PS Audio source that outputs I2S over HDMI connector into an AV Receiver.

Tranquility Bass

Audio Company
Forum Donor
No, they are not outputting I2S over that HDMI output. The pinout will be standard HDMI and can be connected to an AV Receiver (for example) and send it HDMI Audio. Literally, HDMI without video - just audio. The PS Audio method is using HDMI connector types and while their pinout may be more common for devices (like DACs) that have an I2S input via HDMI connector, it is NOT HDMI. Hence the reason you cannot connect a PS Audio source that outputs I2S over HDMI connector into an AV Receiver.
I didn't know DSD was part of the HDMI standard for A/V transmission ??

multisport4me

I didn't know DSD was part of the HDMI standard for A/V transmission ??

HDMI uses TMDS and DSD streams can be sent over that signaling method. My Marantz AV10 (and many D&M AVR/AVPs) accept DSD over HDMI. Here is a quick read on what Transition-Minimized Differential Signaling is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transition-minimized_differential_signaling It is completely different than what PS Audio does to send I2S over an HDMI connector.

And just to add to the confusion, I just learned that HDMI 2.1 uses FRL encoding scheme instead of TMDS. Either way, I can assure you, they are very different than I2S being sent over a couple of pins on an HDMI connector.

Thanks for this though as I never bothered to follow how HDMI 2.1 was able to compete with DisplayPort and now see they came up with a whole signaling method. I'll shut up now as I'm not an engineer and I'm in danger of getting too far out of my lane. (pun intended for you DisplayPort lovers) :)

mirror88

Audio Company
Forum Donor

Tranquility Bass

Audio Company
Forum Donor
HDMI uses TMDS and DSD streams can be sent over that signaling method. My Marantz AV10 (and many D&M AVR/AVPs) accept DSD over HDMI. Here is a quick read on what Transition-Minimized Differential Signaling is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transition-minimized_differential_signaling It is completely different than what PS Audio does to send I2S over an HDMI connector.

And just to add to the confusion, I just learned that HDMI 2.1 uses FRL encoding scheme instead of TMDS. Either way, I can assure you, they are very different than I2S being sent over a couple of pins on an HDMI connector.

Thanks for this though as I never bothered to follow how HDMI 2.1 was able to compete with DisplayPort and now see they came up with a whole signaling method. I'll shut up now as I'm not an engineer and I'm in danger of getting too far out of my lane. (pun intended for you DisplayPort lovers) :)

So it's only used to drive another monitor etc ??

It would be good if it was dual purpose otherwise it's a bit of a wasted opportunity :(

I suppose you can still use USB out to feed to another DAC.??

Top Bottom