• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics DA-S250NC DAC & Power Amp Review

Rate this Amplifier and DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 7.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 169 64.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 67 25.6%

• Total voters

Multicore

Major Contributor
At around the same price 565 versus 582 euros (tax excluded) one can get the pair below, measures better but as a kit is larger and bulkier with cables instead of a single nice chassis. So this integrated is a very good value.

versus

Here that looks like

SMSL D-6 is - $170
@Buckeye Amps 2-ch NC252MP - $575
Total excluding interconnect - $745
And Amir says the Audiophonics costs US$641

I haven't taken care to add shipping and taxes to all of these to make sure they are comparable.

ocinn

But then you have two volume controls: one in the amp and another one in the HPA. First world problem, sure...
I mean the far bigger issue is muting JUST the speakers and not the pre-outs if you want to use headphones, which I'm not sure this amp can do. Two volume controls are easy to deal with, but needing to unplug speaker cables is not.

Might be better to buy an all-in-one DAC/Headamp and run them off toslink so all you need to do when you want to switch between them is turn them on and off. This is what I do. My headphone DAC runs from a Toslink splitter which also feeds my minidsp (speakers). Works flawlessly.

respice finem

Major Contributor
I mean the far bigger issue is muting JUST the speakers and not the pre-outs if you want to use headphones, which I'm not sure this amp can do. Two volume controls are easy to deal with, but needing to unplug speaker cables is not.

Might be better to buy an all-in-one DAC/Headamp and run them off toslink so all you need to do when you want to switch between them is turn them on and off. This is what I do. My headphone DAC runs from a Toslink splitter which also feeds my minidsp (speakers). Works flawlessly.
I did it even more "minimalistically" in both of my setups - active speakers, connected to a DAC/preamp/HPA, job done.
No sub, but I might add one if I needed it (XLR and cinch outputs are available).
Many roads lead to Rome :)

Ajax

Forum Donor
I did it even more "minimalistically" in both of my setups - active speakers, connected to a DAC/preamp/HPA, job done.
No sub, but I might add one if I needed it (XLR and cinch outputs are available).
Many roads lead to Rome :)
My desk top system since 2012 has been a Benchmark DAC1 into Adam A7 active monitors - no brainer for sound quality and simplicity.

Happy chappy.

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's a more powerful one for sure, but do we know it's audibly better? For secondary systems this seems way overkill
I think that depends on the speakers you're using and how much value you place on aesthetics. I've got an amplifier for my stereo in my den already, but it uses Totem Model 1-clone speakers I built which are low efficiency and need a fair amount of oomph to drive cleanly. If I needed something for that room I'd give this a long hard look - the extra power would give me peace of mind and this would look a lot nicer sitting on my mid century modern credenza with my nice cherry speakers than a little black Topping box.

Nothing against the MX3, I just ordered one for a friend for his desktop PC system with passive speakers. But again, this is in a different class, while still being very reasonably priced.

amarsicola

Forum Donor
The price is starting to apply pressure to the budget Hypex power amp vendors. What's the price of a ChiFi DAC with these features including inputs, volume knob, display and remote? And what's the difference between the price of the device under review and the lowest-cost cased 2-ch Hypex NC252MP? If you care to do this calculation, do it with your local market prices and currency.
Vintage Flanker just made the math, BUT there is a big BUT in the game: unfortunately the NC252MP module is clipping when fed with 2.6 volts on XLR (if i remember correctly), and most of dacs today spit out 4-5 volts.
This means that if by accident you (or the dac by its own) turn the volume up to max, the NC252MP will easily fry your speakers.
There are many threads in this forum telling stories about dacs randomly waking up at max volume, e.g. Topping E70 or D70S, in the the latter case i myself was the victim and my Revel 208 tweeters got destroyed.
This is when Audiophonics is taking the stage, and their wise implementation, although losing some power, will save your speakers.
Kudos to @Audiophonics as usual, this will be my advice to any friend looking for a hassle-free package, but I hope they won't stop here and release an even better version with improved dac.
I would also like to be assured a little on future upgrades of firmware of the linkplay module.
@amirm this product is a massacre for several "high-end" "future-fi" "smart" devices, maybe it deserves a video.
I am not sure if Darko is going to like it...

Last edited:

jam

Thanks for the review Amir. An enticing little all in one at a reasonable price with good performance. Too bad it doesn't have analog inputs although that would have increased the cost with the additional ADC circuitry. I just feel that they could have optimized the DAC implementation and improved its performance by squeezing out a few more dBs and increasing its voltage to a decent 2 volts. The Hypex ncore amp is pretty much a solved turn key solution. I would willingly spend $200 (180€) more to address those shortcomings.

Ajax

Forum Donor
Vintage Flanker just made the math, BUT there is a big BUT in the game: unfortunately the NC252MP module is clipping when fed with 2.6 volts on XLR (if i remember correctly), and most of dacs today spit out 4-5 volts.
This means that if by accident you (or the dac by its own) turn the volume up to max, the NC252MP will easily fry your speakers.
There are many threads in this forum telling stories about chi-fi dacs randomly waking up at max volume, e.g. Topping E70 or D70S, in the the latter case i myself was the victim and my Revel 208 tweeters got destroyed.
This is when Audiophonics is taking the stage, and their wise implementation, although losing some power, will save your speakers.
Kudos to @Audiophonics as usual, this will be my advice to any friend looking for a hassle-free package, but I hope they won't stop here and release an even better version with improved dac.
I would also like to be assured a little on future upgrades of firmware of the linkplay module.
@amirm this product is a massacre for several "high-end" "future-fi" "smart" devices, maybe it deserves a video.
I am not sure if Darko is going to like it...
My experience as well, I use the balanced out of the Benchmark DAC2 and SMSL SU8 DACs into a hypex 252 and cannot increase the volume past 12 as the speakers (B&W AM1) begin to make an ugly "popping" sound.

It's a valid and timely warning.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The price is starting to apply pressure to the budget Hypex power amp vendors. What's the price of a ChiFi DAC with these features including inputs, volume knob, display and remote? And what's the difference between the price of the device under review and the lowest-cost cased 2-ch Hypex NC252MP? If you care to do this calculation, do it with your local market prices and currency.
Could we not continue using the term "ChiFi"?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i would go with a two box solution

these are compact devices anyway so i'd rather not tie myself to a one box that may limit future needs

the above mentioned SMSL D6 is a great choice.... I wonder if there's a dac that loses balanced with the same feature set for less money? (ie. remote + vol knob etc.)

audiofonics themselves make decent ncore power amps

if need be slot an analog preamp in between... i do get that three power cables, three boxes is feature creep but these three boxes pretty much ends any talk of lack of future proofing... also resale would be better if that matters to you

respice finem

Major Contributor
I must say it was not easy to "teach" myself not to use it any more. Where I live, "ChiFi" and "made in China" had evolved form meaning "cheap and dubious" to "good and affordable". "Made in Germany" also started with "cheap and dubious", until the Germans made it a synonym of quality.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am totally in favor of the term in its essence: Chinese Hi-Fi. It is simply stating Hi-Fi that comes from China. I own Chi-Fi sets and love them. To me and many it's a neutral term. Several reviewers use it in its essence and it's fine.

The problem is when people associate it with whatever prejudices they have against China, usually meaning cheap and/or low quality. But that is to blame on whoever associated it that way, not the term itself.

We should consider the intent, not the term.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Any post referring to the term is treated by me as not relevant even if the post contains valid logical statements.
I usually associate the author with the mental note not to bother reading any further posts.

From the guy called "Tony Lo Fi". :facepalm: Are you Chi Fi's brother?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I am totally in favor of the term in its essence: Chinese Hi-Fi. It is simply stating Hi-Fi that comes from China. I own Chi-Fi sets and love them. To me and many it's a neutral term. Several reviewers use it in it's essence and it's fine.

Exactly.

I rarely if ever use the term, rather use Chinese HiFi, which is absolutely fine. Japanese HiFi was called JapFi/Jap HiFi for decades and nobody batted an eyelid. Too much faux butthurt if you ask me.

amarsicola

Forum Donor
Exactly.

I rarely if ever use the term, rather use Chinese HiFi, which is absolutely fine. Japanese HiFi was called JapFi/Jap HiFi for decades and nobody batted an eyelid. Too much faux butthurt if you ask me.
I think the term is not wrong by itself, but it can be used in a wrong way when it is prejudicially associated with good or bad performance, as i did in my post (before editing). A product can be high or low performing independently from its nationality

Top Bottom