• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 4.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 144 27.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 340 65.9%

• Total voters

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I warn all: Don't get old!
I had originally gave it the 3.HappyPanther but I had to change my vote to 2.PostmanPanther because of it's RaspberryPi entanglement.
Not because it did not have great looks, great set of features, or because it was short on performance.
This is a finished, plug n' play, all-in-one product.
...the last thing I want from my audio system is the never-ending software updates.:mad:
But its hard for a manufacturer fully commit to Android as that normally means constantly updating the firmware (and the QA / testing costs involved) especially as in maybe 1 years time they will be selling a new version of this product, so likely won't care about updates to their older products.

Thank you @amirm for an eye-opener hardware and I wish EverSolo success.

MyCuriosity

What more would make it great in your book?
My opinion or book is irrelevant. Just take a look on the measurements. For example the reconstruction filters are mediocre to say the least. It’s a good product, no question about it but not great.

multisport4me

Why are there no decent DACs with HDMI in. Is it just the cost for the license? I might be willing to pay more to have a state of the art DAC decode the sound from the HDMI stream.

p.s., Thanks for the screen shots of the OS shown above. A streamer is primarily about the software and I have never understood Amir's reason for ignoring this other than his decision that Roon should rule all.

What source devices are outputting 2-channel HDMI Audio that would feed into this type of box? Because that is what it would be - limited to 2-channel input only if you want to use its DAC. The expense of having an HDMI Audio input for this purpose seems unnecessary. Most if not all devices that can send a 2-channel digital signal are going to be USB, SPDIF and maybe....maybe I2S. I suppose you can send 2-channel over HDMI from a Sony BD player....but it too has SPDIF outputs. So I'm struggling to see the use case that would make an HDMI input a necessity on a streamer/DAC box?

The HDMI Audio output on this box is quite unique to me. I think it is a very nice compliment to an AVR/AVP and makes it possible to use my AV10 as my DAC and then I can upmix, room correct, etc. from there.

Gremlins

In adittion to my first unanswered yet question, does this device can read HDD directly connected to it ?

multisport4me

In adittion to my first unanswered yet question, does this device can read HDD directly connected to it ?

I don't think you can hang an USB external drive on this thing. Looks like the USB ports are for input/output of audio. I could be wrong as I've not seen a detailed user manual.

It does support an easy install of a 2TB NVMe drive in the bottom of the unit with a little access panel. That drive can be shared via SMB so you could sync up another network drive I suppose.

Left

Wondering what latencies are. If relatively little could run a minimal AVR. Run Kodi and CamilaDSP. Output video via HDMI. Specify two USB ports on same hub to ensure synchronization. Maybe even send two channels to internal DAC and the other two to an external. The patents on everything up to Dolby Digital have expired and Dolby TrueHD has been "cleanly" implemented from public specifications. There will be problems handling different bit rates for sure. And I am sure there will be other obstacles. But that is why this is a hobby.

Is there the possibility of a remote or is one just not included? I agree with others here. A deeper dive is warranted.

JktHifi

I warn all: Don't get old!
I had originally gave it the 3.HappyPanther but I had to change my vote to 2.PostmanPanther because of it's RaspberryPi entanglement.
Not because it did not have great looks, great set of features, or because it was short on performance.

...the last thing I want from my audio system is the never-ending software updates.:mad:

Thank you @amirm for an eye-opener hardware and I wish EverSolo success.
Qobuz is not available for Linux

PeteL

Major Contributor
My opinion or book is irrelevant. Just take a look on the measurements. For example the reconstruction filters are mediocre to say the least. It’s a good product, no question about it but not great.
OK, maybe irrelevant but you still gave it (your opinion). Hey that's what we do here, giving our thoughts, nothing wrong with that. Now my opinion is that the artefacts from this filter are inaudible. My opinion is also that it's a great product all things considered.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I won't buy a DAC with Bluetooth until there's some support for a lossless hi-res format.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
Please say people of Eversolo that real VU meters have curves.
1682625737523.png
1682625766220.png
1682625806712.png

subframe

HDMI out but not in seems very odd. What is the use case for having the HDMI output? Input seems like it would be more useful by far, but maybe I’m just missing something.

PeteL

Major Contributor
HDMI out but not in seems very odd. What is the use case for having the HDMI output? Input seems like it would be more useful by far, but maybe I’m just missing something.
I assume it's for people that have a AVR in place with multi speakers set up and Room correction in place and need to connect the streamer? Then again most of these should have different digital inputs as well, but I am not fully certain if they actually gets routed to DSP like regular HDMI source, Not sure, I am not a AVR user myself to be honest, In my setup neither is necessary really, what's your use case for HDMI In?

Edit, Thinking of it, it can probably send to your AVR multi Channel music, which the other won't so that would be the use case I guess.

Last edited:

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Very nice streamer. Affordable, technologically advanced and top class performer. Thanks @amirm for another great product review. BTW, I asked Roon Labs and the DMP-A6 is still under certification process. It will show up under Zidoo Technology CO.,Ltd Roon Partners link as soon it completes the Roon Ready certification.

Zidoo Technology CO.,Ltd Roon Partner

Left

Possibly connect to TV. If attach an air mouse through Bluetooth you would have a nice 7 foot alternative to controlling via app.

Top Bottom