• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My Kingdom For A Remote Volume Knob! can this be made?

mglobe

Forum Donor
I’ve been using the Surface Dial to control volume through Roon using rooDial for a few months now. Occasionally it loses contact with the Rpi. Otherwise works really well. The ability to reach over and adjust volume without looking at anything and to stop the music with a press is very enjoyable. WAY better than a remote control.

Reactions: MCH

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Here is another alternative if you are using computer audio: Xence Labs Quick Keys

e5a396d28d9ad8b47405b53b5b148de2.jpg

This is a programmable rotary knob / keypad designed for digital artists. However, the software allows you to assign almost any function to the keys and the rotary knob. I have seen Youtube videos where people use it to control volume, launch programs, and even perform macros on it. Just think: press one button and it opens Tidal, your media player of choice, launches your convolver, and configures Windows to direct all audio routing through ASIO.

Disclaimer: I haven't bought it or tried it, but it's on my shopping list.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
That looks well made and at decent price, I wonder how hard it would be to set up for roon/tidal and Mac use?.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yours is a IR remote, isn't it?.... Maybe they are using one of these standard rotary encoder that my ZigBee knob also has inside.
Did they tell you anything about battery life?

Yes IR. Actually, no, didn’t discuss battery life. It uses 2 AA batteries.

MCH

Major Contributor
Yes IR. Actually, no, didn’t discuss battery life. It uses 2 AA batteries.
btw, i have mine finished and working, what a cool thing to use, a real improvement over a regular remote imo

Last edited:
OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
btw, i have mine finished and working, what a cool thing to use, a real improvement over a regular remote imo

Wow! That was fast! That looks really cool. I love the volume feedback, that's something I won't have on mine.

BTW, I originally viewed your video on my iphone and experienced an optical illusion with the small image: I thought that orange thing (remote?) to the left side was an orange speaker in the distance with multiple drivers, so I thought "oh, interesting, he owns Tekton speakers."

TEKTON copy.png

Then when I viewed your vid on my big desktop computer...oh...yeah...remote control. Nobody here is going to own Tekton :)

MCH

Major Contributor
Wow! That was fast!
Two weeks ago i thought that python was only a big fat snake, now I could program a nuclear power plant.
In reality I had some help from the folks here. The beauty of ASR :)
BTW, I originally viewed your video on my iphone and experienced an optical illusion with the small image: I thought that orange thing (remote?) to the left side was an orange speaker in the distance with multiple drivers, so I thought "oh, interesting, he owns Tekton speakers."

View attachment 254229

Then when I viewed your vid on my big desktop computer...oh...yeah...remote control. Nobody here is going to own Tekton :)
Hahaha I bet your kids aren't small anymore, It is a Nintendo switch :D

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Update on my remote status:

Looks like we've nailed down the design and it is likely to ship to me late Jan/early Feb.

I've chosen a custom Wenge-Wood for the finish. Black metal volume knob. There's a good chance I might have a more luxurious volume knob made locally to replace the one that comes with the remote. (I like brass or copper with a heavy feel).

The remote normally comes with an IR emitter on the front and I'd thought about placing an IR receiver behind my speakers near the projection screen, which would be about 11 or so feet from the remote. But I think I don't want to run wiring there, so I'm likely to just have an IR receiver on the sofa to the side, near the remote, for best reliability. The remote company (Adams) will be placing an additional IR emitter on the side of the remote for this purpose.

The remote will operate 3 of my devices: Conrad Johnson tube preamp. Benchmark LA4 preamp. Denon AVR (home theater). Obviously the knob will dial volume up and down for each, with custom commands for each device, such as dimming with a press of the knob, switching inputs with a press/hold/turn of the knob etc. If I press the knob down for 3 seconds the commands will load for the CJ. 5 seconds and the commands will load for the Benchmark. 10 seconds - Denon AVR.

I love that it has an LED ring around the base of the knob, which illuminates with commands. This means we can have a different LED light color assigned per device, so I'll easily know which device commands are currently loaded - Red for CJ, Blue for Benchmark, Green for Denon AVR.

Finally I've been thinking about the volume control and some form of basic feedback as to volume status. The remote won't do any zigbee- like feedback and won't show volume numbers, which is fine. But I've thought that if I have a knob made with a pointer indication, or even just a straight line through the top of the knob, then I can start any listening session with the preamp at a set volume, with the custom volume knob pointer centered, and that will be a "known volume level" so dialing the volume left or right with the line/pointer will give me some general visual indication of where the volume is.

Gilbers

I have a working solution using a Surface Dial, a Raspberry Pi and a Broadlink IR blaster that is used to control a Lyngdorf amp, Anthem AVR and an Apple TV, via IP and IR. It works well, aside from the fact that the Surface Dial goes into sleep mode after 5 minutes of inactivity, so can need waking up with a click or spin sometimes. If anyone is interested in the Python script I’m using, or knows a solution to the sleep mode issue please let me know.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This! I need THIS!

If only something like this could learn IR codes....

ETA: Hmm, the (very sparse) spec sheet on this remote says it uses RF Protocol: Zigbee

I know my RTI universal remote system, which I use to control a bunch of AV gear, works with RF and Zigbee. I wonder what the implications are for learning IR commands, converting them to RF for use with this remote. Depends on the design of the remote I presume.

My remote should be finished off and shipping to me fairly soon. I'll post pictures when I get it. It's too bad my "solution" probably proved too idiosyncratic or expensive to be much use to anyone else. (Though if someone IS looking for custom work like this, I can recommend the company doing this for me).

And actually, Adams audio said they could probably build me a remote in the form of the Steinway version above! We'll see how this one goes and who knows, maybe I'll commission another one.

Last edited:
OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was sent a photo of my remote, before they have put the knob and electronics in. I chose a custom finish in Wenge Wood, apparently a type of bog wood ("body of black swamp oak wood that had been in the ground for at least a few hundred years and had turned black under the influence of tannins.")

They are putting in the electronics and testing the commands this week, though waiting on some parts, but it should be shipping to me soon.

We've really got creative with the commands for this thing, within it's limitations. It can activate commands via turning the knob (obviously mostly used for volume up / down). Press/holding the knob down and turning left or right can also initiate different commands. Giving the knob a press down can activate different commands too, and depending on how long you press it, or how many times you tap it.

It will have a multicolored LED ring about the bass for indicating commands.

So, for instance, we will have commands loaded for 5 different "device set ups."

1. Benchmark LA4 commands (volume/dim sound/toggle inputs)
2. CJ Preamp commands (volume/mute/select digital or phono input)
3. Benchmark/CJ combined commands - this will send out volume commands to both preamps at the same time, while double-tapping the knob will switch between the CJ (running through my Benchmark) or the Benchmark without the CJ in the loop. The reason for the dual commands is that I often set the volume the same on each to start out with, but I sometimes switch between preamps when listening and this should...fingers crossed...keep a little more consistancy in volume when I switch.
4. Denon AVR / Apple TV combo. This will use the volume knob to control volume when watching APPLE TV in my home theater system, and other actions will send commands to APPLE TV. So tapping the knob will pause/unpause the picture, push turn R (or double tapping the knob) will Fast Forward, push turn L (or quick triple tap) will reverse picture.
5. Denon AVR / Oppo combo. Same as above, only (aside from volume) the commands will control my OPPO UHD blu ray player for watching movies.

So to choose a device setting:

A 2 second hold down of the knob will put it in to "Device selection mode." I can then toggle among the device selections, all represented by a color emitted by the LED light ring around the base of the knob.

So if I tap the knob again it will move to the next device - blue for the benchmark commands, red for CJ, purple for Benchmark/Cj combo, Green for Denon/Apple, Yellow for Denon/Oppo. Once the appropriate color is selected for the device I want, another two second push of the knob will load those commands.

Who knows how it will all work? I'm expecting glitches along the way. But even using it in it's most basic mode as a volume control will be satisfactory as that was my original intent.

OmniArc-RH-16-02-22.jpg

jeffry_pines

I have a working solution using a Surface Dial, a Raspberry Pi and a Broadlink IR blaster that is used to control a Lyngdorf amp, Anthem AVR and an Apple TV, via IP and IR. It works well, aside from the fact that the Surface Dial goes into sleep mode after 5 minutes of inactivity, so can need waking up with a click or spin sometimes. If anyone is interested in the Python script I’m using, or knows a solution to the sleep mode issue please let me know.

Thanks all! I've been following along on this discussion and have been quite inspired.

I am also looking for a knob - (RPi) - IR transmitter solution to control my Simaudio Moon 340i X integrated amp which uses the Philips RC-5 IR communication protocol. The included push-button remote for volume control leaves much to be desired and always overshoots the intended target volume. Another wrinkle is that the 340iX has a 1/8" IR in jack on the back and could theoretically have the IR signal wired into the amp instead of sent via remote but I haven't found a 1/8" adapter-RPi combo that would work for this.

I am wondering if anyone used the Teenage Engineering Ortho as the knob interface with an RPi solution? @iann and @Zaireeka did you end up using the Ortho for software volume adjustment only or did you also link it with an IR transmitter? I'm more drawn to the Ortho than the Dial but could be convinced otherwise.

I found this RPi HAT (and custom case) from irdroid that would combine the processor, bluetooth adaptor, and IR transmitter into one device and could theoretically run LIRC on the RPi but not sure yet how I could use the Ortho to trigger the RPi to send the signal.

I also don't think I saw anyone post this blog post for a custom Devialet-inspired IR knob remote with the associated source code and CAD design files if you want to go full-on DIY.

@Gilbers, would love to hear more details about the hardware and software solutions you went with.

@itai, I would be interested in hearing about your RPi software solution with the Dial, too.

@Mehdiem, what solution did you end up going with? Sounds like you were also going in the same knob/dial - RPi - IR route.

@MattHooper, looking forward to seeing how the final product turns out!

MCH

Major Contributor
I'm using the following hardware:
The control application is written in Python and uses the following libraries:
  • evdev (for reading input from the dial)
  • broadlink (for controlling the IR blaster)
  • pyatv (for controlling an Apple TV)
Hi Gilbert's, i explored the possibility of getting a Rpi to listen to my dial but the dial died before i managed and i went a different route... But for the sake of knowing how it works, would you share the evdev part of your code?
Thanks!!

iann

I am wondering if anyone used the Teenage Engineering Ortho as the knob interface with an RPi solution? @iann and @Zaireeka did you end up using the Ortho for software volume adjustment only or did you also link it with an IR transmitter? I'm more drawn to the Ortho than the Dial but could be convinced otherwise.
I have only used the Ortho as a bluetooth controller adjusting the volume on my phone. It works fine for that though.

jaymarnz

This thread inspired me to play with a Microsoft Surface Dial as a volume control for my streamer (Bluesound NODE). I know it isn't quite what the OP is looking for since it doesn't have IR, but I thought I'd share what I have in case someone else comes along looking for something like this. And it also should be pretty easy to add IR transmit to it.

To make it easy to integrate into any environment and use it with a variety of devices (eg. add IR transmit, use with another streamer, preamp, etc) I've created a Web Socket server that handles the details of interfacing and decoding the messages from the Surface Dial and exposes a very simple continuous stream of JSON messages that look like:

JSON:
{ "button" : "up" }
{ "button" : "down" }
{ "degrees" : "3.1" }
{ "degrees" : "-5.3" }

To use it, have a look at the index.html file for a simple example of a client that displays the messages above as you click or rotate the dial.

I'm running it on a Raspberry Pi but it should run on most any Linux box. Full install instructions are in the readme file in my github repository for DialServer.

I'm currently using it to interface the Surface with another project github repository for BluView that is a web app display for BluOS devices like the NODE. More about BluView is here. I've got them both working well together but haven't pushed my changes to BluView yet since I still need to add a config option for it there. Coming soon though...

gr-e

I built this Arduino-based IR volume knob for my desktop setup. It may seem unnecessary, but I'm just too lazy to reach the knob on the amp, especially if I'm reclined on a chair.
The roughly made plywood body was supposed to be a temporary solution until I come up with something nicer. I've been using it like this for 4 years now.
The 350mAh battery lasts a month, which is fine for me, considering I can plug it in and continue using it while it's charging.

1.jpg

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IT'S HERE !!!!

First, given this remote was being constructed and programmed on the other side of the world I expected hiccups along the way. And it turns out, yes I've encountered some problems after trying the remote. The cheap IR blaster system I've been using seems too finicky for the Omniarc remote, and so won't reliably transmit the commands. Second, the volume commands aren't working at all for the Benchmark preamp. (Though other commands work).

However, this isn't a big surprise and it doesn't seem to be anything insurmountable. We are going to plan B as we'd already discussed, which is me sending my Benchmark remote to AdamsCustomAudio so they can get the OmniArc remote working for those commands. My current IR blaster was only a temporary solution I'd been using. I'm having a custom AV installer do a more reliable hard wired IR run from my listening room to my equipment rack (and RTI control system). I'm already wired with some Cat5 for that. Just a matter of getting it done.

But it should work because, at least with the CJ pre-amp, if I point the Omniarc directly at the preamp bypassing the IR blaster, all the commands work beautifully!

So...hopefully just a not too unexpected bump in the road to get over.

Meanwhile here are some photos:

The custom remote came in a nicely engraved wood box (I blurred my name):

OMNIARC BOX.jpg

Here it is:

OMNIARC TABLE.jpg

OMNIARC SOFA.jpg

It looks really beautiful in person, wonderful wood finish. This gives an idea of the size, though it looks a bit smaller in this photo for some reason compared to my hand:

OMNIARC HAND SIZE.jpg

So, just playing around with the Omniarc remote: It has a rich finish, it has a great feel in the hand - some substantial weight, a smooth finish, and the ergonomics are pretty much perfect. That nice gradual slope from the volume knob means my wrist is supported comfortably when turning the knob. It is just really
carefully designed.

The knob has a nice feel. It's perfect size, big enough to feel substantial, but not over-sized. And it has nice action. I was surprised to find that there was a subtle stepped action to turning the knob, sort of just discernible little smooth "clunk" as it turns through volume steps. This actually works perfectly with the CJ pre-amp. Each tiny 'clunk' represents an increment of volume change on the preamp, and...mercifully!...the volume on the preamp tracks really well with the knob turning! If I spin the knob super fast, yes the pre-amp volume can get a bit "lost" in catching up. But at the speeds I'll actually be turning, it works great. And it's very reliable! Four clunks down or up reliably hit the very same volume setting on the preamp. This is really what I wanted, as it gives me more feedback/detail as to how high or low I'm setting the volume. We'll see how this works out with the Benchmark preamp.

Other things like the commands based on push-turning the knob, or double tapping to switch inputs, work great! And I love how the LED light flashes with each command. And each device has it's own color, so red flashes for the CJ, Blue for the Benchmark etc.

I have to do some testing to see if/how it operates the other gear, like my AVR. But, so long as we can get the Benchmark working with this, I'm quite excited because this is essentially exactly what I'm looking for.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's beautiful! Is the volume knob made from metal?

Yes the knob is metal. I chose black over the silver version because I prefer the look. They helpfully supplied a hex key for taking off the volume knob (and screwdriver for changing batteries in the bottom). The knob feels very good, but I've planned from the beginning to have another more luxurious knob made to replace it. Likely brass or bronze rimmed with a black top, and a brass volume indicator line on the top to see volume position better.

Top Bottom