• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

which headphones do you recommend?

markanini

Major Contributor
I don't know what you're talking about, my arguments were exceedingly rational, you choose instead to ignore them. I've had this with you before - you've either got a personal issue with me whereby you just want to try to pick apart what I say (for the sake of it) or you do this to everyone - either way I'm not gonna bother getting into protracted discussion with you.
You could give a reason you think a manual interpretation of the graph overrides the preference score. Maybe you know something I don't know. Preferably before assuming other motives on my part.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You could give a reason you think a manual interpretation of the graph overrides the preference score. Maybe you know something I don't know. Preferably before assuming other motives on my part.
(I already stated the reasons that answer that question in my earlier post (an example of):
It's common knowledge re both speakers & headphones that the Preference Rating is only part of the story.
But, I don't think you're genuine in your pursuit so it's doubtful I'll answer further responses from you in this thread - my short fuse with you is based on previous interactions, not just in this thread, so I'm not jumping the gun on you, I already "know" you.)

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
(I already stated the reasons that answer that question in my earlier post (an example of):
It's common knowledge re both speakers & headphones that the Preference Rating is only part of the story.
But, I don't think you're genuine in your pursuit so it's doubtful I'll answer further responses from you in this thread - my short fuse with you is based on previous interactions, not just in this thread, so I'm not jumping the gun on you, I already "know" you.)
It would be childish of me to attempt to air out dirty laundry, if I didn't want to entertain the discussion instead. But everyone is different.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be childish of me to attempt to air out dirty laundry, if I didn't want to entertain the discussion instead. But everyone is different.
Yeah, whatever, don't worry about it. I did reply to your post though to try to answer your question in my previous post, I referenced back to an earlier post with a link (that one), but it does answer why I think you can't just rely on the Preference Score alone.

EDIT: basically two headphones can have very similar Preference Scores but have noticeably different frequency responses, and likely sound different. The x2Hr I referenced with pics has those pretty darn horrible uncorrectable with EQ sharp peaks & dips in the treble, whilst the HD560s doesn't have that same problem (it's more correctable with EQ). The HD560s is also better extended in the bass & requires less EQ boost to hit Harman (can be another positive) - again not reflected in the Preference Score. Because basically the HD560s & X2Hr have the same Preference Score, but they're not gonna be the same headphone in their capabilities & experience. Other differences are distortion measurement differences that are not part of the Preference Score. Then you've got physical construction differences of the earcups, angled or not angled, closed back & open back, and all these different physical design differences can create a different experience for you in relation to things like soundstage potentially, that's not reflected (solely) in the frequency response measurement & not reflected in the Preference Score. Ok, so I did try to explain it to you here, which is a fleshing out of an earlier post I did to you. Basically the Preference Score is a rough first guide, and that's fine, but it's not enough to rely on solely, there are other factors to consider when comparing headphones and what the experience would be like.

Last edited:
OP
M

musica

I perceive the sound image well with the fidelio x2hr, but nothing about its famous large sound stage, perhaps I didn't copy well, how the sound stage manifests itself.
who can explain it to me with some good examples?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I perceive the sound image well with the fidelio x2hr, but nothing about its famous large sound stage, perhaps I didn't copy well, how the sound stage manifests itself.
Simply put, the soundstage is the physical size (& shape) of the perceived sound image that you get from any particular headphone. So some headphones might sound like you're perceiving the sounds from within your own head, on another headphone you might perceive the sounds to be in your head but also extended out to the sides beyond your head to the left & right side, on another headphone you might perceive the sounds to be coming from a combination of in front of you / in your head / and out to the left & right of your head. Mostly people simplify it by saying that a certain headphone has a soundstage that sounds like it's coming from inside your head, or instead they describe it as being out of your head. So it's the perceived physical size & shape of the "stage" on which the musical image is layed out upon. It's a bit of a controversial subject as there are no measurements that really describe this effect, so it's purely down to people's reported subjective experience. I experience my various different headphones as having different soundstage capabilities. There's a thread that Solderdude setup about it here for people to discuss & vote on the topic, different people can have different experiences re soundstage even with the same headphone:
EDIT: I see you've already found that thread, because you posted in there before Christmas!

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Drop + DCA AEON Closed X would be a great choice when on sale, sometimes below $399.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Drop + DCA AEON Closed X would be a great choice when on sale, sometimes below $399.
A lot of people do like that headphone, and it's a closed back and a planar as point of difference vs his other headphones, which at the very least would be an interesting experience to try a different type of headphone to his existing ones. There's a thread on it here:
(I haven't tried that headphone)

markanini

Major Contributor
I remember @solderdude say it was one of the top two headphones with regard to soundstage, and he's tried many.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Soundstage was between HD650 and HD800 perhaps leaning a bit towards HD800 when considering a scale between HD650 and HD800.

Soundstage is not perceived the same between individuals so there's that too. For me it was wide enough. So is the HD560S wide enough.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
No problem.

It only came in 2nd with the about a dozen headphones I had at that time though. ;)

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A lot of people do like that headphone, and it's a closed back and a planar as point of difference vs his other headphones, which at the very least would be an interesting experience to try a different type of headphone to his existing ones. There's a thread on it here:
I own this headphone and it is the headphone I like best of all I have used.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I have the Aeon X Open (open back version) and I highly considered that as THE BEST subjectively sounding headphone EVER made at 399 USD price tag. IMHO, it is subjectively better the Clear MG sonically (imaging, resolution, dynamics, tonality, every subjective descriptions out there and distortion figures better than some tube amplifiers) and many headphones several times its street price

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I love my AKG K361s. Unlike others, I have had no problem with the headband or keeping them looking good. A little normal care goes a long way. I find them very comfortable to wear for longer periods of time. Great sound/bang for the buck.

The only drawback to K361s from the K371s is the proprietary cord connector. Easier to get new cords for the 371 model. If I were buying today, now that the prices have equalized a bit, I'd buy the K371, I see it regularly for $110 rather than the $150 MSSP.

OP
M

musica

can we take something from this video as an example?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I own this headphone and it is the headphone I like best of all I have used.
Cool, the Closed X, which other headphones do you own? Do you mean after you've EQ'd all of them, or are you comparing how they are at their stock frequency response?
I have the Aeon X Open (open back version) and I highly considered that as THE BEST subjectively sounding headphone EVER made at 399 USD price tag. IMHO, it is subjectively better the Clear MG sonically (imaging, resolution, dynamics, tonality, every subjective descriptions out there and distortion figures better than some tube amplifiers) and many headphones several times its street price
Is that after you've EQ'd all of them, or instead comparing them at their stock frequency response? Aeon X Closed is a lot closer to Harman than the Aeon X Open though, and also looks easier to EQ to Harman. (Crossing out the previous sentence, I was looking at the wrong Oratory pdf file, Aeon Open X looks pretty darn good at stock, certainly in terms of an easy EQ to Harman). I might keep my eyes open re an Aeon Open X for myself in the future, although they're $529+import tax to the UK currently, so I'd only consider it in a very good sale. Am I right in thinking you own the K702 & the HD560s like I do - I vaguely remember you own the K702? I think I remember you also perceive soundstage quite vividly?

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
can we take something from this video as an example?
What do you mean exactly? If you're comparing headphones you'd listen to some of your well recorded tracks at a higher quality than Youtube vids, if you can. You'd choose a variety of tracks that you know like the back of your hand, probably a list of tracks you use for comparing sound systems and different EQ's. The material you'd choose would be the kind of music you like, but for some of the tracks you'd want to make sure they were very dense specturally - ie busy tracks that have all elements playing at the same time from deep bass through to treble (including voice) - if it's a busy track like that you'll be able to judge if tonality is correct, but you'll also be able to judge if certain areas of the frequency response are in balance with eachother, because you'd hopefully still be able to discern all the different elements of the track, which you wouldn't be able to do if the frequency response was out of whack in places. Can't really do this blind, so ideally you'd be choosing headphone models that have been measured by Oratory or Amir or Crinacle, so you can use the measurements to get a handle on what you're listening to......you'd probably use EQ from Oratory to EQ the headphone to the Harman Curve as a starting point and then make adjustments from there (if necessary).

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I owned DCA AEON 2 Noire and they were by far the best sounding headphones out of the five I used to own (still own HD660s, Sundara, K371 and M50x). However, I had to return them after 10 months of ownership because I wear progressive lenses and when listening to music, my lenses frames made the Noire's pads not seal completely in my ears so I got bass leak and the sound became anemic. Long story short, DCA closed headphones need to be wear without glasses.

OP
M

musica

What do you mean exactly? If you're comparing headphones you'd listen to some of your well recorded tracks at a higher quality than Youtube vids, if you can. You'd choose a variety of tracks that you know like the back of your hand, probably a list of tracks you use for comparing sound systems and different EQ's. The material you'd choose would be the kind of music you like, but for some of the tracks you'd want to make sure they were very dense specturally - ie busy tracks that have all elements playing at the same time from deep bass through to treble (including voice) - if it's a busy track like that you'll be able to judge if tonality is correct, but you'll also be able to judge if certain areas of the frequency response are in balance with eachother, because you'd hopefully still be able to discern all the different elements of the track, which you wouldn't be able to do if the frequency response was out of whack in places. Can't really do this blind, so ideally you'd be choosing headphone models that have been measured by Oratory or Amir or Crinacle, so you can use the measurements to get a handle on what you're listening to......you'd probably use EQ from Oratory to EQ the headphone to the Harman Curve as a starting point and then make adjustments from there (if necessary).
I was referring only to the image and soundstage of the video
I heard an instrument high up behind me to my right in the room did you perceive it?

Top Bottom