• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for new Headphones for the next 10 Years

mispela

Hello Forum,

I have been using the Sennheiser HD 650 for 10 years, but they are now coming to the end of their life. I also temporarily had the HD 600 and 800s, neither of which convinced me. So now I'm looking for new headphones that will last at least 10 years with pad change/cable change and sound significantly better than the HD 650 and cost under 1000 USD. In case of doubt I would also spend 2000 USD, but only if they are really worth it.

The brand, I do not care as long as they are stable and sound very good with or without eq.

The headphones should not be noticeable on the head, even after a familiarization period, and please no inears.

I listen to all kinds of music, so these shouldn't be good for just one genre.

Any recommendations from you guys?
Please always with reason why these should be better.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Slap some new pads, headrest foam on the HD650 and enjoy for the next 10 years.
Not all brands might last nor support headphones for the next 10 years.

Not being noticeable on the head is a tall order.
The HD650 are quite noticeable, certainly new ones with their higher, out of the box, clamping force.
The HD800 is better in comfort (to most) but feels a bit different than other headphones.

What exactly do you want 'better' in the sound.

OP
M

mispela

By better sound I mean the spatial representation of the HD 650 is not perfect, there should be the new definitive better and the resolution as many sounds can be generated. The HD650 have more problems than just the pads so I need new ones anyway.
Slap some new pads, headrest foam on the HD650 and enjoy for the next 10 years.
Not all brands might last nor support headphones for the next 10 years.

Not being noticeable on the head is a tall order.
The HD650 are quite noticeable, certainly new ones with their higher, out of the box, clamping force.
The HD800 is better in comfort (to most) but feels a bit different than other headphones.

What exactly do you want 'better' in the sound.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
HD800 is about the 'spaciest' that you can get without having to resort to spatializers, has better 'feel' than HD5 and 6 series headphones (to me) and reacts well to EQ.

OP
M

mispela

Mhh for me personally, the bass did not sound good enough even with EQ. Sure, they are excellent, but I don't like them because of that. What's about other brands like Beyerdynamic/Astel & Kern, Focal, HIFIMAN and Audeze?
HD800 is about the 'spaciest' that you can get without having to resort to spatializers, has better 'feel' than HD5 and 6 series headphones (to me) and reacts well to EQ.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Most likely the EQ was not the correct one for HD800 on your head (despite that EQ being 'excellent' on a certain fixture or according to someone or a program)

The biggest problem with asking for recommendations and comparisons is that there is nothing as personal as a headphone.
One man's 'the best headphone ever' or 'highest recommendation' may be another man's 'absolute nightmare' or 'overpriced piece of garbage' or 'most uncomfortable headphone'.
Your experience with the HD800 is testimony of that.

I can only recommend one thing with a pure conscience ... audition, audition, audition.
Buy with the option of returning if you cannot audition.

Last edited:
OP
M

mispela

Most likely the EQ was not the correct one for HD800 on your head (despite that EQ being 'excellent' on a certain fixture or according to someone or a program)

The biggest problem with asking for recommendations and comparisons is that there is nothing as personal as a headphone.
One man's 'the best headphone ever' may be another man's 'absolute nightmare' or 'overpriced piece of garbage'.
Your experience with the HD800 is testimony of that.

I can only recommend one thing with a pure conscience ... audition, audition, audition.
Buy with the option of returning if you cannot audition.
Yes, that's exactly why I put up this post to get ideas on what headphones I could try. That does not mean that I buy the headphones right away and keep them. The service life is very important to me, and I have only had good experience with Sennheiser. I once had Pioneer and other non HD Sennheiser, which have not survived longer than 1 year or even a couple of months. My HD 650 have already fallen infinitely times, where even a night underwater and still live. But yes the cable I already had to replace very often

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Most 'higher end' headphones can't take the abuse your HD650 has endured.
HD800 is one of those.

Beyerdynamic DT1990 may be an option but sounds quite different (needs EQ badly in the treble) but has good support for many years but the metal parts may get ugly (dinged/scratched).
The DT880-990 pro versions also can take a lot of abuse.

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
When it comes to durability over time and access to spare parts, probably no one can beat OLLO audio. At least as long as they remain on the market with the same range of spare parts as today. Repairability and long-term durability is a stated goal for their products. As for the sound, it is perhaps a different matter, because their headphones are intended for studio use. Some Hifi enthusiasts like them, others probably not at all. But they might be worth a try.

Last edited:
OP
M

mispela

Mhh I had the 800s, not the 800. Is there anything new about the HD 900 yet? The DT1990 I've heard at a friend actually sounded pretty good, but had not tried them in direct comparison. As I said, whether with EQ or without I'm not interested as long as in the end they sound good. Are Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic the only stable ones in the high-end range?

OP
M

mispela

When it comes to durability over time and access to spare parts, probably no one can beat OLLO audio. At least not as long as they remain on the market with the same range of spare parts as today. Repeatability and long-term durability is a stated goal for their products. As for the sound, it is perhaps a different matter, because their headphones are intended for studio use. Some Hifi enthusiasts like them, others probably not at all. But they might be worth a try.
Thank you, I have never heard of this brand. Is there a particular model that stands out?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
S5X... but it may not fit every ones head. I had to bend mine to make it fit comfortable.
These are designed for studio usage but can be used for hifi.
OLLO is a fairly new company and have no idea if it will be around 10 year from now (I hope they are) and have no idea if they will still have the exact same parts for all their models by that time.

What they have in common with HD650 is a 'smooth' response but the tonality is not the same. Stereo imaging is a bit better than HD650 but not HD800(S) level.

1697535861762.png

I use the S5X more than the HD800.

ChrisCables

Audio Company
You sound like you're looking for more bass, a similar mid-high SS to the HD650's and longevity in operation as your main criteria. Correct?
If so then you should be auditioning planar magnetic headphones and I would recommend Audeze in particular.
My DD's are Audeze LCD2 fazor, HD650/HD600.
THe LCD2's have a depth to the bass end that the HD650/600's can't match but the caveat is they're HEAVY. Listening for any longer than 1.5 hours becomes a chore.

You could also refurbish your HD650's quite easily as @solderdude suggests with new pads and a cable. As long as the driver capsules aren't compromised in any way they will come back like new.
I restore old Sennheisers as a hobby including most of the HD*** range and have built up quite a collection from people offloading their 'old knackered' headphones.

IMG_20220921_125540.jpg

IMG_20220920_182001.jpg

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thank you, I have never heard of this brand. Is there a particular model that stands out?
I have only heard the S5X (which I own) The closed version S4R is more elevated in the lower frequencies as I understand it. S5X is flat but extends well in the bass. It sounds very clear, and as with most studio headphones the sound depends much on the recording. Other more consumer oriented headphones often have a colouration that might "help" not so good recordings. I could also mention that I personally have never felt any discomfort with S5X, but as @solderdude pointed out, it could maybe be an issue.

Last edited:
OP
M

mispela

You sound like you're looking for more bass, a similar mid-high SS to the HD650's and longevity in operation as your main criteria. Correct?
If so then you should be auditioning planar magnetic headphones and I would recommend Audeze in particular.
My DD's are Audeze LCD2 fazor, HD650/HD600.
THe LCD2's have a depth to the bass end that the HD650/600's can't match but the caveat is they're HEAVY. Listening for any longer than 1.5 hours becomes a chore.

You could also refurbish your HD650's quite easily as @solderdude suggests with new pads and a cable. As long as the driver capsules aren't compromised in any way they will come back like new.
I restore old Sennheisers as a hobby including most of the HD*** range and have built up quite a collection from people offloading their 'old knackered' headphones.

View attachment 319478
View attachment 319477
I usually wear my headphones between 8 and 16 hours a day (home office), so 1.5 hours is too short for me. Thanks for the offer, but I also wanted an upgrade, not just in design with the old driver.

OP
M

mispela

I have only heard the S5X (which I own) The closed version S4R is more elevated in the lower frequencies as I understand it. S5X is flat but extends well in the bass. It sounds very clear, and as with most studio headphones the sound depends much on the recording. Other more consumer oriented headphones often have a colouration that might "help" not so good recordings. I could also mention that I personally has never felt any discomfort with S5X, but as @solderdude pointed out, it could maybe be an issue.
The S5X are not even that expensive, I will definitely give them a try.

OP
M

mispela

What about magnetic planar headphones like the ones from Hifiman do they have a long life? How is the sound compared to HD 650, S5X DT1990?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hifiman all have a treble peak around 10kHz.
There have been reports about build quality and drivers failing.

I had (and still have some) quite a few hifiman (but treat them carefully) and none of them ever gave me any issues.

Audition, audition, audition... What may sound great to others may not sound great to you.

Last edited:
OP
M

mispela

Hifiman all have a treble peak around 10kHz.
There have been reports about build quality and drivers failing.

I had quite a few hifiman (but treat them carefully) and none of them ever gave me any issues.

Audition, audition, audition... What may sound great to others may not sound great to you.
That doesn't sound so promising. How does that actually work with the resolution of headphones? Many have an interval in Hz specified that they can display, but this interval is probably not over the real numbers (|R) I think in any case, or is the gap size not important at all?

Top Bottom