• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for new Headphones for the next 10 Years

solderdude

Grand Contributor
'Specs' from manufacturers say nothing about headphones.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have no idea what you mean by step size.

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What about magnetic planar headphones like the ones from Hifiman do they have a long life? How is the sound compared to HD 650, S5X DT1990?
I have the Dan Clark ÆON Closed X (Which is said to be the same as ÆON RT) It is a magnetic Planar. They are very nice, in my opinion. One of the best headphones I have heard (I can compare them to other headphones i own as for example the Sennheiser HD600 - and I do not like them very much, Bayerdynamic DT770 PRO and AKG 701) I can´t say anything about longlivety however. I don´t know. ÆON have a very nice low end. Since I got the S5X I prefere the later, but ÆON are a HiFi headphone, not a studio tool, so it may be prefered by others in a comparision between the two.

OP
M

mispela

I have no idea what you mean by step size.
Sorry, I am not a native English speaker.

By this, I mean the average distance between two sounds that a headphone can represent. e.g. The headphone can represent Example 1: {20hz, 20.1hz 20.2hz,...} Example 2: {20hz, 20.000000001hz, 20.000000002hz, ...}

Thus, the average distance of the tones that the headphones in example 2 can represent is much smaller and thus it can represent many more different tones. Since there are infinitely many numbers between 20hz and 20.1hz if we consider it over the real numbers and thus also infinitely many tones if I did not understand something wrong.

staticV3

Master Contributor
By this, I mean the average distance between two sounds that a headphone can represent. e.g. The headphone can represent Example 1: {20hz, 20.1hz 20.2hz,...} Example 2: {20hz, 20.000000001hz, 20.000000002hz, ...}

Thus, the average distance of the tones that the headphones in example 2 can represent is much smaller and thus it can represent many more different tones. Since there are infinitely many numbers between 20hz and 20.1hz if we consider it over the real numbers and thus also infinitely many tones if I did not understand something wrong.
Headphones don't have step sizes. They're analog devices.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It does not work this way.
There are no steps in the frequency response.
A sweep can be stepped or continuous but this only shows a plot slightly different.

Sherwood

I really enjoy both the HD650 and the HD800, but understand the complaint about bass. I think the most direct upgrade to the HD600, in terms of "just that like but better", is the Focal Clear. Fits in your budget, too, and not hard to drive so long as you're careful about output impedance from your device/amp/whatever.

PBSequence

I'd like to second the recommendation of the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro. With a good EQ profile (start with oratory1990 Harman), they are very comfortable, sturdy and repairable headphones. I often regret selling my pair. In terms of build quality, they are even more robust than the HD 600/650. The only criticism I could give is that the headband cushion cannot be swapped as easily as on the lower-end models.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had the good chance to use over 200+ headphones for the business. If I was picking one for the next 10 years it would be the Hifiman Arya Stealth. I wish all their line had the confidence inspiring build quality of the Arya. The stealth version fixed the upper mid problem, and I've used them with all types of music and never considered equalizing them. The Audiophileninja cable really completes them, very durable wrap on those, but not heavy or microphonic. If someone offered to give me a pair but I could only use them for 10 years, I'd go for it any day. The Audivina isn't worth the price at all, the Arya Stealth is worth it though.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Koss has a lifetime warranty! ...I only have the Koss Porta Pro which is an "entry level" headphone but it got a "recommended" rating (with EQ) here. ...Probably not what you're looking for.

Or you could try/buy the AKG K371 and consider it "disposable". :p It's generally rated highly for sound (with slightly boosted bass). It's about $150 USD and it has a reputation of being fragile.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Or the much cheaper one ;)

And non stealth

Is it just the finish that is different? They look the same to me.

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have the HD650, HD800 and Hifiman Sundara. If I would get an additional headphone, I would get the Audeze LCD-X. It has ridiculous low distortion and can thus be EQed to anything. But it is also quite heavy, which might be problematic for longer usage. Also the Moondrop Para sound interesting, but I am not sure about the built quality.

iGude

Any recommendations from you guys?
My highest recommendation is to try out different headphones in a shop, but I know that this is not always possible.

From my point of view the most important aspect of headphones is how they feel on your head. I tried headphones that look comfortable from the outside but cause severe pain in the ear or head. But this is highly individual and takes some 15 min or so to become obvious.
If this happens, you need to put them down no matter how good they sound…

Soria Moria

I am keeping my eyes on these: https://www.linsoul.com/products/moondrop-para

Waiting for a general consensus.

I've always felt that everything I buy will last a long time if I treat it well. That strategy has paid off nicely.

I still use a Denon AH-D7000 that's in perfect shape. They are notorious for a weak link pin breaking, but I treat mine like I treat an egg out of the fridge.

My goto's are DT-1990 Pro and HD-600. Both really great with tube OTL and SS. Even like my Grado RS2e quite a bit, though I will never buy another Grado again after owning many.
Those have FR measurements out which is highly useful but I'm waiting for proper measurements of the Audeze MM-100 before deciding on either.

Reactions: GPJ
OP
M

mispela

I've had the good chance to use over 200+ headphones for the business. If I was picking one for the next 10 years it would be the Hifiman Arya Stealth. I wish all their line had the confidence inspiring build quality of the Arya. The stealth version fixed the upper mid problem, and I've used them with all types of music and never considered equalizing them. The Audiophileninja cable really completes them, very durable wrap on those, but not heavy or microphonic. If someone offered to give me a pair but I could only use them for 10 years, I'd go for it any day. The Audivina isn't worth the price at all, the Arya Stealth is worth it though.
There have been comments here in the post that the Hifiman might not last 10 years. What is your opinion on this?

OP
M

mispela

My highest recommendation is to try out different headphones in a shop, but I know that this is not always possible.

From my point of view the most important aspect of headphones is how they feel on your head. I tried headphones that look comfortable from the outside but cause severe pain in the ear or head. But this is highly individual and takes some 15 min or so to become obvious.
If this happens, you need to put them down no matter how good they sound…
The problem with this is that you can't try out longevity when you try it on.

OP
M

mispela

Koss has a lifetime warranty! ...I only have the Koss Porta Pro which is an "entry level" headphone but it got a "recommended" rating (with EQ) here. ...Probably not what you're looking for.

Or you could try/buy the AKG K371 and consider it "disposable". :p It's generally rated highly for sound (with slightly boosted bass). It's about $150 USD and it has a reputation of being fragile.
I'm very impressed about a lifetime warranty, but I doubt that the Koss sound better than my HD 650. Mhh I am looking specifically for unbreakable

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm very impressed about a lifetime warranty, but I doubt that the Koss sound better than my HD 650. Mhh I am looking specifically for unbreakable

Stick with Sennheiser if you're looking for something that's unbreakable. HD800S is your best bet IMHO. I rarely see post about their drivers randomly dying like those from Focals and Hifimans. You can also try ZMF headphones and Meze headphones since both have good reliability reviews so far

Top Bottom