• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

which headphones do you recommend?

musica

I have the hd 600 and the fidelio x2hr to have a different type of sound which headphones do you recommend?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
thumbs_164.jpg

OP
M

musica

cost around 300 euros
I listen to orchestral classical, jazz, pop and electronica

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Takstar HF 580 planar headphones, with Sendyaudio AVIA ear pads.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Every headphone will sound "different". How do you want it to sound different? More bass, etc.?

Headphone preference can be a highly-personal thing so IMO it's best if you can listen before making a choice. And there are other factors like comfort (also personal) or a preference for open or closed back, and in professional situations ruggedness and reliability are important.

The biggest difference between headphones is frequency response and to a large extent that can be adjusted with EQ.

The AKG K371 is highly rated (for sound quality) and it's affordable.

OP
M

musica

Can I emit another headphone with EQ?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can I emit another headphone with EQ?
You can EQ the frequency response of one headphone to the same frequency response of another headphone based on measurements found at Jaakopasenen's AutoEQ or from Oratory's headphone database, and it will make the two headphones sound similar, but they'll never sound exactly the same due to unit to unit variation and also the headphone design makes them sound a bit different (open back vs closed back) & the different earcup designs will also make it sound a bit different. You can get two different model of headphones to sound closer to each other with EQ, but you won't really match them.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have the hd 600 and the fidelio x2hr to have a different type of sound which headphones do you recommend?

A thread about headphones people like and don't like. Funny to see what one person recommends someone else hates.

Here's another thread where people list what they own(ed) and like the most.
Notice the diversity.

What all these threads could tell you is that it is pointless to ask for recommendations as most people will recommend something different.
Price is no guarantee nor are ratings of any kind (because comfort and seal is also important).

You can only listen to 1 headphone at the time. The ones you have aren't bad and can be EQ'ed. Just enjoy them.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I often recommend the HD560s as a solid good value headphone, has a good soundstage and low unit to unit variation, low distortion, really quite good without EQ but better with EQ (of course). They're also a very reliable headphone in terms of bass, not least because it's quite well extended for an open backed headphone, but information out there on the net shows that they are very resistant to seal issues (thanks to solderdude, he measured that aspect on his website), they're not greatly affected by a loss of seal. But I also find they seal perfectly to my own head anyway, and sound the same each time I use them, very reliable.

I have the HD600 too (as you do), and it's a bit boring in the soundstage, so the HD560s is a step up in that department. Your fidelio x2hr is supposed to have good soundstage, but it's not a particularly well measuring headphone, and I want to use the word erratic to encompass everything I see here:
index.php

index.php

But you might find the HD560s to have a similarly good soundstage to the X2Hr, but instead additionally it'll be more refined & more accurate.

OP
M

musica

You can EQ the frequency response of one headphone to the same frequency response of another headphone based on measurements found at Jaakopasenen's AutoEQ or from Oratory's headphone database, and it will make the two headphones sound similar, but they'll never sound exactly the same due to unit to unit variation and also the headphone design makes them sound a bit different (open back vs closed back) & the different earcup designs will also make it sound a bit different. You can get two different model of headphones to sound closer to each other with EQ, but you won't really match them.
if i equalize my fidelio x2hr like the akg k 271 i can understand + or - how do the akg k271 sound?

markanini

Major Contributor
I often recommend the HD560s as a solid good value headphone, has a good soundstage and low unit to unit variation, low distortion, really quite good without EQ but better with EQ (of course). They're also a very reliable headphone in terms of bass, not least because it's quite well extended for an open backed headphone, but information out there on the net shows that they are very resistant to seal issues (thanks to solderdude, he measured that aspect on his website), they're not greatly affected by a loss of seal. But I also find they seal perfectly to my own head anyway, and sound the same each time I use them, very reliable.

I have the HD600 too (as you do), and it's a bit boring in the soundstage, so the HD560s is a step up in that department. Your fidelio x2hr is supposed to have good soundstage, but it's not a particularly well measuring headphone, and I want to use the word erratic to encompass everything I see here:
index.php

index.php

But you might find the HD560s to have a similarly good soundstage to the X2Hr, but instead additionally it'll be more refined & more accurate.
No headphone is prefect, the Philips X2HR is a headphone with one of the highest Harman scores of 94. Sennheiser HD560 has it's issues with overemphasis between 4-6kHz. https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets/

I'll second @DVDdoug's suggestion of AKG K371, it's a very good performer and offers something different to what OP already has.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There are manyy comments online from peeps that claim to have had issue with that headband arrangement that the AKG K371 uses. They break and intemittently don't work properly. It's a shame because they are supposed to sound fantastic.

markanini

Major Contributor
There are manyy comments online from peeps that claim to have had issue with that headband arrangement that the AKG K371 uses. They break and intemittently don't work properly. It's a shame because they are supposed to sound fantastic.
Latest stock has some improvement in that area. They can be distinguished by a faux leather texture vs the smooth texture, and some plastic fittings around the pads. But that's why I recommend making purchases with a good warranty policy.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Latest stock has some improvement in that area. They can be distinguished by a faux leather texture vs the smooth texture, and some plastic fittings around the pads.
That's good to know. After reading the reviews on Amazon and I think there was a couple of peeps from ASR that contributed too they seemed to be too cheaply made. :D

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
if i equalize my fidelio x2hr like the akg k 271 i can understand + or - how do the akg k271 sound?
It would give you some idea, but the K271 is a closed back and your x2Hr is open back, so I don't think you're gonna get them sounding that similar. Besides, the K271 is praps the worst headphone in the world, lol, so you'd be a bit out of your mind to try to copy this frequency response:
K271.jpg

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No headphone is prefect, the Philips X2HR is a headphone with one of the highest Harman scores of 94. Sennheiser HD560 has it's issues with overemphasis between 4-6kHz. https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets/

I'll second @DVDdoug's suggestion of AKG K371, it's a very good performer and offers something different to what OP already has.
Of course, I didn't say the HD560s was perfect, hence why I said it was better with EQ. About the only headphone that wouldn't benefit from EQ for most people is gonna be the DCA Stealth. The Preference Score is not the most important thing to look at in terms of headphone measurements, it does give you a general indication, but craziness that is happening in the treble of the X2hr with those repeated sharp peaks & dips is far from optimal and also uncorrectable with EQ, the HD560s does not have those uncorrectable issues whilst also having massively lower distortion and better bass extension. So a person should not be unduly swayed by the Preference Rating Score. (Actually, the HD560s has a Preference Rating of 92, but the point is it's not that important on it's own.)

markanini

Major Contributor
Of course, I didn't say the HD560s was perfect, hence why I said it was better with EQ. About the only headphone that wouldn't benefit from EQ for most people is gonna be the DCA Stealth. The Preference Score is not the most important thing to look at in terms of headphone measurements, it does give you a general indication, but craziness that is happening in the treble of the X2hr with those repeated sharp peaks & dips is far from optimal and also uncorrectable with EQ, the HD560s does not have those uncorrectable issues whilst also having massively lower distortion and better bass extension. So a person should not be unduly swayed by the Preference Rating Score. (Actually, the HD560s has a Preference Rating of 92, but the point is it's not that important on it's own.)
So you want to overlook a lower preference score before accepting other flaws. Doesn't seem rational does it?
Either way you missed my main point about incremental upgrades/sidegrades. When OP already has two well regarded open backs it might be a good time to try a good closed back like the AKG K371.
BTW oratory1990's measurement looks cleaner, he uses and averaging of multiple samples which gives a more realistic idea of the true sound.
1673341429242.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
BTW oratory1990's measurement looks cleaner, he uses and averaging of multiple samples which gives a more realistic idea of the true sound

It gives an idea of the average frequency response. Not about how one's copy may sound nor about how a copy will sound with EQ based on an average.
It says nothing about the delta one may have depending on seal and product variances as well as positioning on the head.

I know Oratory also posts average plots with a grey band with measured delta.
This is probably the best way to show measured response. With the addition of the part above 8kHz greyed out or dashed.

markanini

Major Contributor
Reading graphs has a learning curve. All deviations don't have the same impact due to how the auditory system works. That's why narrow dips are less of an issue than narrow to medium peaks. If a model has any unit variation an average of multiple samples can be trusted more.

I know Oratory also posts average plots with a grey band with measured delta.
They're on his twitter, very neat graphs to look at.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So you want to overlook a lower preference score before accepting other flaws. Doesn't seem rational does it?
Either way you missed my main point about incremental upgrades/sidegrades. When OP already has two well regarded open backs it might be a good time to try a good closed back like the AKG K371.
BTW oratory1990's measurement looks cleaner, he uses and averaging of multiple samples which gives a more realistic idea of the true sound.
View attachment 256217
I don't know what you're talking about, my arguments were exceedingly rational, you choose instead to ignore them. I've had this with you before - you've either got a personal issue with me whereby you just want to try to pick apart what I say (for the sake of it) or you do this to everyone - either way I'm not gonna bother getting into protracted discussion with you.

Top Bottom