• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which headphones would not make me miss my surround system too much?

I build a higher end 7.1.4 surround system but underestimated the bass‘s ability to also rumble the apartment above. That’s why I am searching for a headphone which won’t make me miss my surround system too much which I used mainly for gaming and movie watching and occasionally music listening.

I know no headphone can reproduce the low end of my high end ported subwoofer but which headphones in the headphone world come closest in subbass extension and authority?

I also know no headphone can reproduce the immersion and directionality of a 11 speaker surround system but which have the most ,,immersive“ sound through good sound staging/imaging/directionality ques?

Lastly I had KEF LS 50 META which are neutral technically very capable speakers. It would be a nice bonus if I don’t loose too much in the fidelity department too.

Is there any headphone which fits all of these traits?

Budget would be 5k but I don’t mind paying way less.

Thanks for your time and recommendations!

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I hate to say this, but in reality having been through what you are thinking of, nothing beats the pure realism and gravitas of a good surround system. Notice I said good. So, you just have to get your headphones and EQ them to the best you can for your preferences. I miss the old subwoofer kick in the chest on heavy bass scenes. Can't do it now as the wife said NO after she was getting PTSD from my movies. Realistic gun and cannon shots. Vibrating the walls when a tank rolled by just like in real life. She had enough one day as she was trying to read and I got the ultimatum. Either the sound system got down sized or her and my cat were hitting the road. The cat gave me a dirty look too!:facepalm:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ohm has great bass extension for that fun thumping effect. For imaging and all around performance the best I've heard is the Hifiman Arya Stealth and Sennheiser HD800 S for gaming. The best stacks I've built for them is the SMSL SP400/M400 and the Topping A70 Pro and D70 Octo DAC are just end game for anyone.
Virtual surround with the Sound blaster AE-9 isn't worth it. The virtual stuffing of 5.1 into 2 channels for headphones just isn't as good as accurate stereo with precise imaging.

Mr Swing King

Seems to me that you’re looking for a Smyth Realiser. Only gadget I’ve ever seen that has made speaker guys fall in love with headphones.
This will give just about any competently made headphone the ability to sound like a real speaker experience. It is NOT like a computer game where Sony has dappled around with a little DSP, no this is the full Monty. Once you’ve set it up properly you can even change between different real life venues. Fancy a bit of Snow’s Informer live at the Sydney Opera house or maybe the Doobidoop song from the Royal Albert Hall? The Smyth realiser will provide you with these mad options..and they’re convincing to say the least.

OP
G
I know I can’t replace the surround system but I want at least a headphone which is the most capable relative to other headphones.
Seems to me that you’re looking for a Smyth Realiser. Only gadget I’ve ever seen that has made speaker guys fall in love with headphones.
This will give just about any competently made headphone the ability to sound like a real speaker experience. It is NOT like a computer game where Sony has dappled around with a little DSP, no this is the full Monty. Once you’ve set it up properly you can even change between different real life venues. Fancy a bit of Snow’s Informer live at the Sydney Opera house or maybe the Doobidoop song from the Royal Albert Hall? The Smyth realiser will provide you with these mad options..and they’re convincing to say the least.

This is interesting, although I am always a bit skeptical of such claims. Have you tried it yourself?

Mr Swing King

I have tried it on several occasions at my buddy’s place, and it is very impressive. I took off his HD800S several times during listening - quite literally looking for invisible musicians in the room.
I’ve thought about getting one myself, but always seem to hang onto the hope that I can use my speakers more + I actually really dig ‘headphone presentation’ for what it is.
I have however not tried setting it up myself, which I’ve seen some reports online where people are struggling a bit…or maybe they’re just lazy like Z reviews who had one by, didn’t set it up properly, and found himself rather unimpressed.
What I’m essentially getting at here is that for this to be the wonderful listening experience it can and should be, it needs a little dedication:)

musicreo

This is interesting, although I am always a bit skeptical of such claims. Have you tried it yourself?

I have not tried the Realiser but I used Impulcifer which is based on the same principle of using your own ears for recording impulse responses. The results completely depend on the quality of the measurement. With accurate measurements it sound very close to real speakers.

Top Bottom