• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

Blueisthecolour

My unit doesn't seem to go into Standby by itself like the M10, I tried toggling on and off the 'auto standby' setting but it's not doing anything. Am I misunderstanding the unit?
Hi. I’m having this issue as well. Have restarted the unit — toggled auto standby on/off — doesn’t seem to work. Did you get this issue sorted?

doorofnight

Sorry, you are right.
I have not uploaded the screenshot.

Title information:
BRUNETTE MODELS - Last Poem
Fly with me Margo

Distortion within the first 10 seconds.
Attention, slowly approach of the volume is necessary!
If you can hear it at all, because you have different filter settings.
Unfortunately, still no solution... My speakers are full range and I can do without subs.. But sometimes I prefer my subs. The distortion bug is unacceptable :(

pogo

Major Contributor
Have you tried the pre-outs for your subs in the meantime?

vanwalsum

Just an experience. I thought my m33 and Epicon 6 combination lacked some musicality. So i bought an Marantz model 30 and SACD 30n. Maybe the Marantz need some play time; but my first thoughts are that the M33 sounded better. Clearer with more layers and more transprancy. The sound through the Marantz was enjoyable, but maybe to smooth. Lets see what the next step is. Other speakers maybe. The strange thing, never got goose bumbs as with my old Marantz and NAD C326bee and Some Dali ikon 5 mk2. This hifi is a weird hobby sometimes… or do we get pickey.

pogo

Major Contributor
Have you tried to match your taste with Dirac Live, i.e. set the target curve accordingly?

Trondi

Yep, i agree Pogo.

I am now gradually treating DL like an old fashioned loudness button, in as much as the louder i play my music ( all types actually ) the flatter the target curve Is needed to create a more realistic reproduction of the performance.

Daytime, and home alone, i have a very flat target across the freq spectrum and I am not wanting for bass or for top end detail as the volume is good, high and full.

Come evenings and with SWMBO nearby, I earn extra brownie points by choosing her music and reducing the volume. My target curve now has to be the NAD target curve (extra bass ) with a bit extra hf added by me to help my old age hf losses.

BTW turn off DL and for me everything seems flatter, notes missing, boomy notes producing headaches. So I don’t switch off DL unless…

…I still have friends who prefer it when I don't use DL. I guess their ears are so used to room effects that familiar pieces of music do/will sound strange to them.

DL appreciation does take time.

Stefano

Hello all
just receive my M33 10 days ago i connected my two subs and activate the Dirac Full license, i made my measurements and set up a curve. I can't ear any distortion do you have some songs to test? I have Tidal....

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
We have a dedicated thread for that. Let me look it up for you.

Edit: this one.

Last edited:

jaymusic

Indeed nothing to do with AC. I could reproduce the same noise everywhere, with no components connected. Also cranking up the volume would add another less noticeable noise on top. It was hard to locate exactly due to the air vents on the unit, not my place to open the unit. Hopefully soon I can give an update on the fix.
My unit now has quite a noticeable buzz. Not from the speakers at all, just the unit. High pitched. Can be heard from 3-4 metres away and actually fills the whole room. It seems to have gotten worse. Disappointing really. Hope there is a fix as I definitely can’t live with it.
Did you ever get a fix for this?

fcracer

Forum Donor
My unit now has quite a noticeable buzz. Not from the speakers at all, just the unit. High pitched. Can be heard from 3-4 metres away and actually fills the whole room. It seems to have gotten worse. Disappointing really. Hope there is a fix as I definitely can’t live with it.
You should reach out to NAD; they’ve always been very helpful at sorting any issues out. A few years back, there was an issue with certain power sources (I believe it was mostly 240V or British homes) that caused some power supply noise.

I recall that NAD replaced a board in the units with a different one. I’m going by memory here so may have the details slightly wrong. Best is to contact NAD. You’ve paid for Masters, you should get Masters levels of service.

Hoeksel

I have the same (somewhere in this thread), my unit was send to NAD without fix. Their reply? The high pitched coil noise is within spec. My dealer was so nice to open another M33 box and that unit had the same. I have to admit, I am extremely sensitive to sounds but still. By the way, I believe the noise is related to the screen (it starts when the screen turns on) but of course it can than still be a power supply issue. I decided to live with it and never buy NAD again (I also had several QC issues with my previous M32 and MDC cards). So do not expect a fix, if you can still return the unit you will have to decide fast. I did get used to it, sometimes I hear it and I think "#@$%@$ NAD!" for a second and live continues ;-).

pogo

Major Contributor
Do you use a power conditioner?
This can sometimes be an advantage, but also sometimes not.
In which power system is the problem (230VAC/50Hz, ...)?

Hoeksel

Do you use a power conditioner?
This can sometimes be an advantage, but also sometimes not.
In which power system is the problem (230VAC/50Hz, ...)?
In my case the issue comes from the unit itself, power conditioning does not do anything and the issue is the same on different locations. In my case NL (230V 50 Hz).

pogo

Major Contributor
Have you also checked the following points?:

LCD Temporary Display:
Enabled mode will turn off display temporarily after 1 minute of non-user interface.

GROUND TERMINAL:
The M33 can be connected to ground by connecting a ground lead wire or similar to this terminal.

Top Bottom